isaac-the-dad

Why are districts 40v40 instead of 50v50?

I first discovered APB: Reloaded in January 2015 and back then, both G1 and 4Game versions had 50 vs 50 district servers.

I came back to play it in April 2020 and the district servers were already 40 vs 40.

When did this change? And more importantly, why did it change?

Because LO went with the cheapest server host they can find. The districts can't keep a stable 33ms, 30tps, even with only 1 player in the serer.

They dropped Softlayer and went with Amazon. G1 tested a few and Amazon was the worst performing provider. Then LO switched again.

Edited by SquirrelFace
  • Like 3

Its a "temporary" thing to keep the server performance good.  Note that this has literally nothing to do with LO as Reloaded Productions changed from 50v50 to 40v40 back in like, 2015-16.

Edited by SkittyM
  • Like 2

Reloaded Productions changed the pops down after they hit some sort of engine limitation with the cars/clothes/weapons they were adding at the time.

I think they even made new servers with higher frequency HEDT CPU's instead of Xeons and it still ended up being a hot mess.

tldr; APB 1.XX is single threaded garbage from a client and server standpoint.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jama said:

Reloaded Productions changed the pops down after they hit some sort of engine limitation with the cars/clothes/weapons they were adding at the time.

I think they even made new servers with higher frequency HEDT CPU's instead of Xeons and it still ended up being a hot mess.

tldr; APB 1.XX is single threaded garbage from a client and server standpoint.

This is probably the best technical assumption. In truth I don't think anyone knows the true answers but servers do perform better when there is less pop overall. 40-40 is even already daunting it seems for both the clients as well as the server and it's likely because of outdated code.

yeah, alright, thank you for the answers, guys, I'm not gonna address every single one individually.

It's a good point to ask the moderators to close the topic, but I have done so twice over the past 2 weeks and I feel bad, for, like, making them work...

10 minutes ago, isaac-the-dad said:

It's a good point to ask the moderators to close the topic, but I have done so twice over the past 2 weeks and I feel bad, for, like, making them work...

If you ask nicely, we really don't mind the work.

And with that, thread closed per OP's request.

~@mayii