AnyOnePT

Tournaments held by the community

Thinking of hosting a tornament event with prize pools, what is your opinion on this?

Edit:

A Simple tornament with ramdom generated brackets, held on an empty servers like how you would do "friendlies". Team captains contact eachother, set the time and date, and play within tournament rules, which are still to be written.

Games Will be BO3 (Best-of 3) and Will take turns deciding who defends and attacks, Deciding who defends first with a /cointoss.

I thought of having the games streamed but since not everybody can Record APB footage or is willing, I decided both Captains taking Screenshots at the end of the game would suffice.

Edited by AnyOnePT

7 minutes ago, AnyOnePT said:

Thinking of hosting a tornament event with prize pools, what is your opinion on this?

you should give us an idea of what you have in mind so we can all tell you it's a terrible idea.

3 minutes ago, Aeronaut said:

you should give us an idea of what you have in mind so we can all tell you it's a terrible idea.

A Simple tornament with ramdom generated brackets, held on an empty servers like how you would do "friendlies". Team captains contact eachother, set the time and date, and play within tournament rules, which are still to be written.

Games Will be BO3 (Best-of 3) and Will take turns deciding who defends and attacks, Deciding who defends first with a /cointoss.

I thought of having the games streamed but since not everybody can Record APB footage or is willing, I decided both Captains taking Screenshots at the end of the game would suffice.

Speaking from experience:

The problem with tournaments in APB is that the community is very split on the rules. Currently there are some decidacted premade groups that have very strict and imo good rules. For example the PMG just isn't allowed at all and weapon classes are limited. Some of the OP mods like spotter aren't allowed either.

It's going to be an absolute nightmare to make rules that both sides of the community will adhere by. That is basically the reason a huge tournament me and Kemp had planned some years ago, simply never happened.

1 minute ago, VanilleKeks said:

Speaking from experience:

The problem with tournaments in APB is that the community is very split on the rules. Currently there are some decidacted premade groups that have very strict and imo good rules. For example the PMG just isn't allowed at all and weapon classes are limited. Some of the OP mods like spotter aren't allowed either.

It's going to be an absolute nightmare to make rules that both sides of the community will adhere by. That is basically the reason a huge tournament me and Kemp had planned some years ago, simply never happened.

So to avoid having to juggle between opinions on what the rules should be, my approuch would be to simplify and only ban what really is too unbalanced or out of reach to F2P players (Armas weapons, except re-skins)

11 minutes ago, AnyOnePT said:

only ban what really is too unbalanced

Good luck. Some things are almost objectively too good, but people disagree. You can take a stand (like we did long ago) and decide what to ban after thorough discussion with different people, but we had a decent amount of people boycotting because of some rules they didn't like. If you don't take a stand and let the community decide you'll be changing rules forever.

I don't wanna discourage you, but this isn't gonna be easy. Perhaps with a decent prize pool you'll have people play by your rules.

made a topic about it not so long ago ... if u want to check it out

Starting gear only. STAR, FBW, Frags, no mods or equipment. I'd even go as far as saying you can only respawn the unlocked tutorial car with no mods, since mobile spawner is game breaking. This would allow all players to compete equally regardless of in game hours and Armas purchases. Fresh accounts still couldn't compete, but I think everyone could spend a few hours in the tutorial to prepare.

For wins I would go by stages won rather than final outcome. Defenders winning the final stage just means they failed the previous stages. To keep things short, the teams must complete 5 stages, swap factions and mission side, then complete another 5. Who ever has more won stages wins. Settle ties in the next stage. I would also look at the factions and determine which starting contact has the fairest missions. Maybe even auto quit specific ones.

But even with these restrictions, the missions themselves can still decide who wins. I also don't think you'll get a lot of entries due to the RTX crash bug. RTX GPU owners won't be able to compete. Owners of these cards tend to be the competitive type, while those with old hardware tend to be less competitive. Then again, that might make it easier to decide on rules.

45 minutes ago, SquirrelFace said:

Starting gear only. STAR, FBW, Frags, no mods or equipment. I'd even go as far as saying you can only respawn the unlocked tutorial car with no mods, since mobile spawner is game breaking. This would allow all players to compete equally regardless of in game hours and Armas purchases. Fresh accounts still couldn't compete, but I think everyone could spend a few hours in the tutorial to prepare.

For wins I would go by stages won rather than final outcome. Defenders winning the final stage just means they failed the previous stages. To keep things short, the teams must complete 5 stages, swap factions and mission side, then complete another 5. Who ever has more won stages wins. Settle ties in the next stage. I would also look at the factions and determine which starting contact has the fairest missions. Maybe even auto quit specific ones.

But even with these restrictions, the missions themselves can still decide who wins. I also don't think you'll get a lot of entries due to the RTX crash bug. RTX GPU owners won't be able to compete. Owners of these cards tend to be the competitive type, while those with old hardware tend to be less competitive. Then again, that might make it easier to decide on rules.

This ruleset you describe seems like it would be a boring game.