Sign in to follow this  
foscor77

How does latency effect gameplay?

I'm from Chandigarh and i usually get latency around 300 ms and around 50 fps while running the game at minimum graphics,the latency increases as i increase the resolution so i play at minimum graphics.

I don't experience any significant or noticable lag while running at minimum graphics most of the time.

Anyway what i want to know is how latency effects the gameplay, for example if im getting 300 ms latency and 50 fps and if my enemy is getting 3 ms latency and 50 fps and we shoot at each other at the same time with same gun who will die first? Me as im far from the server and the signal/data will delay? Or what? Please help me understand these things about latency and fps and if there are already threads similar to it please link me.

Thank you.

The most noticeable thing in this game is driving delay. Vehicles are controlled server sided, so when you accelerate or turn there will be a about a 300ms delay before you see it happen. This can take time to adjust to.

Combat will be delayed. Your hits will take longer to register, and you will get hit while behind cover because the other player didn't see you move yet. This also affects players you shoot at. They will get behind cover, but on your screen you will still have line of sight and be able to hit them.

• Like 1

If I had that kind of ping I wouldn't be playing games, it's not even remotely enjoyable.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, swft said:

If I had that kind of ping I wouldn't be playing games, it's not even remotely enjoyable.

Your not joking right?

Cuz I'm playing with this ping from 2012.

Im a max rank gold with 2k hours of gameplay with 43k kills....

Though i suck and get rekt most of the time in silvers districts against Gods (golds) and I'm unable to improve. I've been like this from a year or two... Its like I've hit a limit or something... Maybe i won't be able to improve unless i somehow decrease the ping... What's a good or playable ping according to you?

I can't speak for the other person, but for me 100ms is about the limit where it becomes unplayable, I'm also used to playing on local Counter Strike and Rainbow Six servers, less than 20ms, and before that mostly split screen console games, so my perspective is probably skewed.

2 hours ago, foscor77 said:

Your not joking right?

Cuz I'm playing with this ping from 2012.

Im a max rank gold with 2k hours of gameplay with 43k kills....

Though i suck and get rekt most of the time in silvers districts against Gods (golds) and I'm unable to improve. I've been like this from a year or two... Its like I've hit a limit or something... Maybe i won't be able to improve unless i somehow decrease the ping... What's a good or playable ping according to you?

60ms max, anything above is bullshoot. I'm talking by experience btw.

3 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

I can't speak for the other person, but for me 100ms is about the limit where it becomes unplayable, I'm also used to playing on local Counter Strike and Rainbow Six servers, less than 20ms, and before that mostly split screen console games, so my perspective is probably skewed.

Eh, I can play at ~130ms, even higher on the occasion that EU's ping shoots up in district for some reason. Speaking from experience. Going from 60ms to 130ms is an adjustment, but with EU being the only server that is even semi-alive, I need to play there.

11 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

I don't get it..... If I'm able to play without noticing any lag ( except getting car killed while I'm sure it didn't touch me) at 300 ms them how come the game becomes unplayable for you at 100ms...

On 10/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, foscor77 said:

I'm from Chandigarh and i usually get latency around 300 ms and around 50 fps while running the game at minimum graphics,the latency increases as i increase the resolution so i play at minimum graphics.

I don't experience any significant or noticable lag while running at minimum graphics most of the time.

Anyway what i want to know is how latency effects the gameplay, for example if im getting 300 ms latency and 50 fps and if my enemy is getting 3 ms latency and 50 fps and we shoot at each other at the same time with same gun who will die first? Me as im far from the server and the signal/data will delay? Or what? Please help me understand these things about latency and fps and if there are already threads similar to it please link me.

Thank you.

u can easly calculate this

for example we gonan take ur lathency as 300ms so its 0.3 second of delay

each action will provide 0.3 second delay
same as output from server to your client so delays could go up to almost second (if u dont have less then 100ms dont play its waste of ur time)
as goes to fps if u have averange 50FPS in game then ur screen refresh 50 times in 1 second addint to this lathency lag u can perform or see 2 actions in this peroid of time (1 second)

so for example you want to shoot someone but u see he only 2 times or 3 times per second at 1 frame, 15 frame, 30 frame and possible at 45 frame (first one and last one could be lost during gameplay so thats why we got 2-3 updates og players per second

if we take like same framerate 50 fps but with 50ms lathency then u will receive update of game things each 2.5 frame (there is no 2.5 frame so each update will be in like 3-5 frames its huge diffrence

If u still dont understand then dont try to understand it its shet topic more likely i should make some images but i think u can find this staff on YT explain more detailed.