Hexerin

On the topic of server stability, has any thought been given to disabling unused features?

Gold and green districts, along with Open Conflict districts, are unused by the active population of the game. The only people you ever really see in them are ram raiders, and those looking to start a Witness mission with them. The way I see it, there's no reason for these districts to keep spinning up and draining the not insignificant resources it takes to maintain them. While it wouldn't fix the core issues, it would definitely help mitigate.

Another thing that could be disabled with no real loss is the walking civilian NPCs. This would also disable the Mugging feature, but honestly who actually uses that other than for exploiting the Notoriety gain it gives. The immediate counter-argument is that this would make the districts seem less lively (and to an extent that's true), but how much do they really? I constantly will drive around and go blocks without seeing a civilian, only to get to one of those intersections (you know the ones) and see 20+ civilians just idle, their pathing AI broken. I wonder how much server resources are being hammered by those clumps...

While you can't disable Fight Club (still an active mode, after all), you could put the maps on rotation, having only one of them active and switching to the next in sequential order after a set period of time (be it daily, weekly, etc... that's something to poll the Fight Club community about). This would focus the Fight Club population together, while also reducing server stress that extra little bit.

There's probably other features that could also be looked at for this type of treatment, but I'll leave it at this for now.

Edited by Hexerin

I don't see how empty servers cause unstability? They just make space for players to join avaliable and if there are none, servers is just going idle. Second thing - I see gold and green servers constantly rolling some players - sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes just one - but still it's population.

Mugging is actually role... So yeah it's GREAT loss. Also AI is very simple with only few visible response - Walking along path, running away if player/players is near in certain conditions, being action object and as destructable object. With that logic we might as well remove all small objects...

FC servers are already brimming full each day and you want to make them even more packed?

Yeah, no.

Garbage suggestion which would just hurt users even more.

Edited by Mitne
  • Like 2

some people 😛

remove the Ai and remove the sole of the game. Who would drive the AI cars? 

34 minutes ago, Seedy said:

some people 😛

remove the Ai and remove the sole of the game. Who would drive the AI cars? 

Well you can disable pedestrians without disabling civilian vehicles pretty easily I'd assume.

Wow I love the early feedback on this thread; it's just a few people who've only posted kneejerk reactions and nothing else. Talk about a discussion.

Anyways. Nah, I don't agree OP, but I'll actually explain my reasoning instead of trying to preserve the apparent "sole" of APB. Those empty districts are probably using next to no resources. I'm betting APBs servers have to be a little strong to deal with some of the things like the customization and all the entities in a district to the point that spinning down a few servers probably wouldn't really matter much. (On that note I wonder if APBs districts are like... virtualized servers or full on spin ups?) 

I don't think the crummy AI is really taking up much resources either, or not as much as you might think. Like yeah, it's just another huge clump of entities to manage, I'm sure disabling them would free up some resources, and possibly more than spinning down empty districts, but I can't imagine enough to improve game performance. On top of that, I wouldn't want a pedestrian-less game, even at the cost of latency. (But honestly, I don't have lag issues like everyone else in this game. Count myself lucky I guess).

But I'm not a dev, I don't have access to the resource usage.

What do I know.

... would this actually help?

Im really asking cuz I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, notMateo said:

Wow I love the early feedback on this thread; it's just a few people who've only posted kneejerk reactions and nothing else. Talk about a discussion.

Ok? Let's do small comprasion, amigo.

Anyways. Nah, I don't agree OP, but I'll actually explain my reasoning instead of trying to preserve the apparent "sole" of APB. Those empty districts are probably using next to no resources. I'm betting APBs servers have to be a little strong to deal with some of the things like the customization and all the entities in a district to the point that spinning down a few servers probably wouldn't really matter much. (On that note I wonder if APBs districts are like... virtualized servers or full on spin ups?) 

3 hours ago, Mitne said:

I don't see how empty servers cause unstability? They just make space for players to join avaliable and if there are none, servers is just going idle. Second thing - I see gold and green servers constantly rolling some players - sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes just one - but still it's population.

Nice reasoning, surely "nobody" before said anything about that.

I don't think the crummy AI is really taking up much resources either, or not as much as you might think. Like yeah, it's just another huge clump of entities to manage, I'm sure disabling them would free up some resources, and possibly more than spinning down empty districts, but I can't imagine enough to improve game performance. On top of that, I wouldn't want a pedestrian-less game, even at the cost of latency. (But honestly, I don't have lag issues like everyone else in this game. Count myself lucky I guess).

3 hours ago, Mitne said:

Mugging is actually role... So yeah it's GREAT loss. Also AI is very simple with only few visible response - Walking along path, running away if player/players is near in certain conditions, being action object and as destructable object. With that logic we might as well remove all small objects...

But I'm not a dev, I don't have access to the resource usage.

What do I know.

Your reaction surely isn't "kneejerk". You know nice insider look and all.

5 hours ago, Kiida said:

Well you can disable pedestrians without disabling civilian vehicles pretty easily I'd assume.

who would drive them!!?

Who would take them out the underground parking?