tennogrineer

With the recent news/events/communications: Who does LO try to market APB to?

WARNING: THIS THREAD HAS MORE THAN 1 LINE OF TEXT AND REQUIRES LITERACY!

It is safe to say this thread will just get buried because (1) it's not trendy, (2) won't have a 200IQ posters spearheading it, and (3) a lot of text to digest... but whatever there is an attempt

🙂

While it is cool that there new things are on the horizon, what part of the gaming market is LO trying to appeal to with all this? The following are questions/thoughts that won't be discussed unless we're your stakeholders instead of your clients (us). Before this game gets ripped a new one by the current playerbase and the next "gaming" journalist looking to plagiarize and misinterpret a social discussion found here, I just need to know where this game stands in LO's eyes rather than us up/down-voting everything that isn't a meme-reply.

RIOT

Why try a new mode now without actual advertising?

• I read the news, the communications, the what-have-you... Call it a battle royale or not, this is a very saturated market and the Top 3 already are already battling it out to keep players interested.
  • RIOT will always be seen that way no matter how its spun and that is a gift and a curse which APB is taking too much of a gamble on. It can work if there are people to advertise it...but there currently is not because the game does not run smoothly  for everyone.
  • APB, past us, isn't even a part of anyone's conversation, its still a "what is that" title.

"Exclusives"

Why have them?

• While most companies see this a very easy business practice to lure in credit cards...that works when there is a population and if the game is actually designed for it. But in the end, exclusives anyway you spin and deliver them are slow killers (loot boxes, passes, random events that honestly will never happen again, etc.).
  • With the current state of the game, no matter how appealing a new mode and engine may sound, adding exclusives would not be ideal to keep a future playerbase that wants to stay.
  • The only games that I know of that actively try not to split their playerbase with exclusives (in any fashion) are: Gwent (what's new, it's CD Projekt Red) and Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2 (Arena Net).
    • There may be other games doing this (Warframe is getting around to it), but the point is, these games have LOYAL player-bases and attract new players the same. All they make sure is that everything is truly rotational (miss it this year, you have the same chance next year). They make going back to online games very easy.
    • To the random by-passer who is way too smart for me and going to point out LO is going to do the same... Let me know when everyone gets those "RedHill" rewards (which is not the only event that did that), or when LO fixes Steam Achievements for the 2014/2015 holiday events that can only triggered them (who the hell-cares about achievements though, right?!)
      • The point is, every player is different and if you displease 1 player: don't assume that it stops at 1.

Profit

Are we just trying to make a quick buck? Or actually gain and retain new and old players?

• Still, to this day, ARMAs is filled with weapons. Not sure why after almost a year of owning this game and how long this game has been on the market, you still want fuel the "p2w" fire. It's NOT GOOD.
  • Remember: Game is getting older , players are getting older, and rarely do you see young gamers wandering the internet to find the gem that is APB. Don't kill the game using business practices that are killing larger titles as is.

Population

Does any of the changes to APB actually have the idea of building a new loyal and populated playerbase?

• We now have less players playing this game between March-April 2019 than March-April 2018...
    • Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, typing in /pop in game...you can't make this up. We see it.
  • While we only need 1 district full to really play this game...everything is still segregated by threats, modes, etc.

Current Audience

Why aren't we addressing those "little" problems that "orbit" this game which is stuck in a state of 'having potential' for a decade now?

• Yes, APB needs to change...but we aren't changing what will matter to players.
  • I understand as a developer/publisher there are MANY teams involved to keep this game alive (even its current state) and keeping the people fed to do so, but we are slowly going back to what was killing us under G1.
  • Look I want to come back to this game...and so do the players currently playing it that are oblivious to APB news and even everyone on these forums actively do too(who doesn't just post for the sake of posting). But who are we kidding: The only people reading these "news" are people who have been here and its the little things (as you can see from this very thread) that will continue to kill our hopes.

Edited by tennogrineer
  • Like 1

Probably not to apb players for sure.

I had a laugh that some user said "apb needs changes", not like these. Not the weapons nerfs and changes that been done, etcs.

Boi.

Edited by SillyBear

16 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

so that its not a pile of hot trash when the engine upgrade happens and (hopefully/assumedly) the actual advertising will start

18 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

"Exclusives"

Why have them?

exclusives are just fine imo, as long as they arent the driving focus behind content creation

since it sounds like there's a decent chunk of content coming (for free) with the new riot mode, i dont have a problem with 1 or 2 exclusive items for the more dedicated players

19 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

Are we just trying to make a quick buck? Or actually gain and retain new and old players?

i doubt orbit purchased apb with the intention of making a quick buck, if they did we're already doomed anyway because thats a borderline insane business move

aside from that prices have been lowered across the board since orbit took ownership of apb

21 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

Does any of the changes to APB actually have the idea of building a new loyal and populated playerbase?

i imagine stopping the playerbase from hemorrhaging is orbits highest priority, they wont make money if theres no players

22 minutes ago, tennogrineer said:

Why aren't we addressing those "little" problems that "orbit" this game which is stuck in a state of 'having potential' for a decade now?

i think the engine upgrade and its supposed advantages have been discussed ad nauseam at this point 

-

frankly i think there's no good solution to the apb dilemma; the game we have now has never been truly popular, and chasing after every player that no longer plays will just leave orbit running in a different direction 

so it seems like orbit has decided to choose a single content focus (aside from the engine upgrade), and stick with it for the time being

• Like 1

I dont know why but reading this made me sad....

Little Orbit, please save APB... 

I think with riot Little Orbit is just trying to get young audience to the game because pretty much all the players are 18+ besides ramdom bronze guys that mostly ragequit the game so that is why riot is coming to solve that problem,they launch  riot and no publicity to figure it now and advertise it along with the new engine update i think.

Exclusives only make people mad but in the end how u said if u are loyal but u suck in the end u dont care that much about it.

In my personal opinion apb should be focusing in give a RP vibe to the game more than a BR but idk really what it is better to bring back to live APB

2 hours ago, tennogrineer said:

Still, to this day, ARMAs is filled with weapons. Not sure why after almost a year of owning this game and how long this game has been on the market, you still want fuel the "p2w" fire. It's NOT GOOD.

Why would items need to be removed from the Armas Marketplace. Having them available for character/account lifetime does not make them P2W in any way.

2 hours ago, tennogrineer said:

We now have less players playing this game between March-April 2019 than March-April 2018...

• Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, typing in /pop in game...you can't make this up. We see it.

Yes, there are less people here currently. If Little Orbit hadn't taken over we would also be seeing lower numbers. It's hard to say where those numbers would be, but that's not really the discussion at hand.

You asked about what the changes have as idea behind them, the engine upgrade should allow them to add more things to address issue that have been plaguing this game for years. A massive task like that takes time, once that's done and those changes we've all longed for for so long are here let's sit down and have a look at it all again.

3 hours ago, tennogrineer said:

Euhm, well, re-read what I typed just above this 😂

2 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

so that its not a pile of hot trash when the engine upgrade happens and (hopefully/assumedly) the actual advertising will start

On 4/20/2019 at 4:28 AM, MattScott said:

There has been a lot of planning and work done on the rollout.

We need to properly test and tweak RIOT with the community, which is why we are rolling it out now.

My hope is that we can line up the official launch with the engine upgrade, and then kick off all the marketing.

It would indeed seem like that's the plan they currently have. Do a 'test' with riot within the current community and then push all out when the official launch happens in close proximity to the hopeful date for the engine upgrade.

3 hours ago, tennogrineer said:

WARNING: THIS THREAD HAS MORE THAN 1 LINE OF TEXT AND REQUIRES LITERACY!

It is safe to say this thread will just get buried because (1) it's not trendy, (2) won't have a 200IQ posters spearheading it, and (3) a lot of text to digest... but whatever there is an attempt

🙂

While it is cool that there new things are on the horizon, what part of the gaming market is LO trying to appeal to with all this? The following are questions/thoughts that won't be discussed unless we're your stakeholders instead of your clients (us). Before this game gets ripped a new one by the current playerbase and the next "gaming" journalist looking to plagiarize and misinterpret a social discussion found here, I just need to know where this game stands in LO's eyes rather than us up/down-voting everything that isn't a meme-reply.

RIOT

• I read the news, the communications, the what-have-you... Call it a battle royale or not, this is a very saturated market and the Top 3 already are already battling it out to keep players interested.
  • RIOT will always be seen that way no matter how its spun and that is a gift and a curse which APB is taking too much of a gamble on. It can work if there are people to advertise it...but there currently is not because the game does not run smoothly  for everyone.
  • APB, past us, isn't even a part of anyone's conversation, its still a "what is that" title.
    • With the communications provided, the aim is to make the game run smoothly for as much of the population as possible, due to the upgrade, with the added content in conjunction to keep players interested in an updated game. I think once the upgrade and  unification is done, we'll have more advertising, and more future content.

Profit

~snip~

L.O. has seemed to prove that they're not here for a quick buck. Since it's been a year since the acquisition, the chances for a quick buck look to have passed.

Population

• We now have less players playing this game between March-April 2019 than March-April 2018...
  • While we only need 1 district full to really play this game...everything is still segregated by threats, modes, etc.
    • Matt Scott has addressed the district/instance segregation. From his ideas and statements, I've got higher hopes for the game's population reducing some of the dethreating, and subsequence cancer.

Current Audience

• Yes, APB needs to change...but we aren't changing what will matter to players.
    • What matters to the players then? I think what Little Orbit has done does actually matter to the players.
  • I understand as a developer/publisher there are MANY teams involved to keep this game alive (even its current state) and keeping the people fed to do so, but we are slowly going back to what was killing us under G1.
    • I disagree. G1 continuously milked the game, whereas L.O. is showing us that they really care, and want to succeed. They've made missteps, but anyone would, and they've actually communicated in ways the G1 never would have.
  • Look I want to come back to this game...and so do the players currently playing it that are oblivious to APB news and even everyone on these forums actively do too(who doesn't just post for the sake of posting). But who are we kidding: The only people reading these "news" are people who have been here and its the little things (as you can see from this very thread) that will continue to kill our hopes.
    • I don't see many hopes being killed? Most people have been optimistic for the upgrade, and with actual progress being made, we have proof that the update is coming soon, just after the testing will be completed. Not some spaghetti code to be endlessly rewritten.