Snubnose

Weapon Skins - some love (re-work) needed.

I'm pretty sure there are some more skins that need some re-work done, but I'm really frustrated with the gold skin so I'll use this now as showcase.
The gold skin looks great on some weapons where it's more sophisticated, but on many other, it's kind of a lackluster.

here are some examples of a well made gold skin:

bhAktQQ.png2Ywglu5.pngQACrYXt.png
jPErMsd.pngzhTRW48.png

as you can see, parts like the barrel, handgrip / magazine and buttstock are gunmetal black / grey (or wooden, if it fits well). this skin looks just awesome like that.

now, here are some weapons that look kinda bad with the gold skin, because they have way too many parts turned into gold:

y9AK9gL.pngfgtjIu6.pngoOWZKBj.png
NuCksNf.pngXOHgOxy.pngXN95ptx.pngBYo4YwN.png

let's take the misery for example.. I've used my 10 year MS-paint experience to make this, and it looks a lot better now, right? LUL

uvCnLlp.png

well, you get my point, some skins / skin + weapon combinations need more love.

• Like 5

id love to see the gold skin incorporate the cherry wood look that the anubis has for non-gold sections

9 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

id love to see the gold skin incorporate the cherry wood look that the anubis has for non-gold sections

hmm, I dunno, I'd like it better if the cherry wood + gold stays exclusive to the anubis.
but I'd be happy with a wooden skins pack. dark grey + any kind of wood (also cherry wood, just not combined with gold).
I feel like every legendary should have it's own unique skin, and an alternative unskinned option.
I'd also like the M 1922 hazardous to be reworked with a new, unique skin and tagger, combined with mobility sling (yes, 2 mods of the same colour, we've had that already and with this combination it's not really OP or anything) and a third open mod slot.

1 hour ago, Snubnose said:

but I'd be happy with a wooden skins pack. dark grey + any kind of wood

that would be pretty nice, something like the jg alt skin but for every gun

id also like to see the individual weapon skins from some clothing packs reworked for all guns
T4sKZ.jpg
APBEuro_UpdatedTactical-ParamilitaryPack

i assume weapon skins are fairly easy to do, and theres essentially infinite possibilities, orbit could make some pretty good cash off them

• Like 2

The biggest problem with skins (and most of the reason you see stuff like in this thread) is because skinning guns wasn't a baseline feature of the game. It was implemented after overwhelming community request, but like most things Gamersfirst/Reloaded did it was implemented in a half-arsed way. The result is that most guns aren't designed with skins in mind, or only as an afterthought.

The easiest way to tell the difference is to apply the Otome Neko skin to a gun.

88738c949d058913db2d42edba83e2b5.png

The OBIR is pretty much the epitome of a gun that skins correctly. Every skin in the game applies to its highest quality to this gun, with no exceptions that I've encountered. Notice how the Otome Neko skin on it only has one instance of the mascot head, one instance of the text decal, and has the colored sections in all the right places (barrel, grip, and stock are black). If there was just one change I'd make here, it would be the magazine also being black.

79c26d00acccf6d0628256e386762b6f.png

My FFA 5.56 R&D III also skins correctly... however notice that it doesn't do so without error. Far too much pink weight. The grip would look wrong black in this case, but the rail would be the proper replacement. The barrel is also coated with pink, when it should just be straight black. Instead of the stock being black, the shoulder pad is. There's also no white accents. This was a gun created and introduced later on in the game's life, and it shows with this poor attention to detail in modeling.

9fb03a6dcd7d0bbba32c027edbe770f9.png

Lastly, we have the gun line that is infamous for having the worst skinning in the game. Notice how the Otome Neko mascot head appears more than once (dead giveaway that the gun isn't skinning correctly), and the lack of the text decal at all. This gun doesn't skin correctly with 99% of the skins in the game.

Ultimately, the point is that this isn't something they can fix easily. They'll have to completely rework the skins, gun models, etc. In an ideal world, they'd make an individual application of each skin on each gun, so that every gun had the skin effectively custom tailored to that gun's unique designs... but obviously that'll never happen, because that would require insane dev workload. Even AAA dev houses would struggle with that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hexerin said:

The biggest problem with skins (and most of the reason you see stuff like in this thread) is because skinning guns wasn't a baseline feature of the game. It was implemented after overwhelming community request, but like most things Gamersfirst/Reloaded did it was implemented in a half-arsed way. The result is that most guns aren't designed with skins in mind, or only as an afterthought.

The easiest way to tell the difference is to apply the Otome Neko skin to a gun.

[image]

The OBIR is pretty much the epitome of a gun that skins correctly. Every skin in the game applies to its highest quality to this gun, with no exceptions that I've encountered. Notice how the Otome Neko skin on it only has one instance of the mascot head, one instance of the text decal, and has the colored sections in all the right places (barrel, grip, and stock are black). If there was just one change I'd make here, it would be the magazine also being black.

[image]

My FFA 5.56 R&D III also skins correctly... however notice that it doesn't do so without error. Far too much pink weight. The grip would look wrong black in this case, but the rail would be the proper replacement. The barrel is also coated with pink, when it should just be straight black. Instead of the stock being black, the shoulder pad is. There's also no white accents. This was a gun created and introduced later on in the game's life, and it shows with this poor attention to detail in modeling.

[image]

Lastly, we have the gun line that is infamous for having the worst skinning in the game. Notice how the Otome Neko mascot head appears more than once (dead giveaway that the gun isn't skinning correctly), and the lack of the text decal at all. This gun doesn't skin correctly with 99% of the skins in the game.

Ultimately, the point is that this isn't something they can fix easily. They'll have to completely rework the skins, gun models, etc. In an ideal world, they'd make an individual application of each skin on each gun, so that every gun had the skin effectively custom tailored to that gun's unique designs... but obviously that'll never happen, because that would require insane dev workload. Even AAA dev houses would struggle with that.

shows just how subjective this suggestion is tbh - aside from not liking that particular skin, i think the frenzy version looks the best

honestly, G1 should have given us a weapon designer... this game is about designing and having your own identity. designing your own guns should be just like designing cars...
guns should also come with different attachments, just like cars do. (also something that can be expanded so they can keep releasing new scopes and stuff like that on armas for extra cash)

obviously, G1 decided to go with their own skins as an easy cashgrab, instead of finishing / releasing what RTW already started / planned - a weapon design studio.

F3Uzma6.jpg
iSI6ty3.jpg
question is, would LO actually consider this?
because already existing skins could be made presets, although most of them could be "faked"... and most people would probably want their G1C refunded for that.
I'd be totally in for a weapon design studio though, and I wouldn't want my G1C refunded.

Edited by Snubnose

35 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

because already existing skins could be made presets, although most of them could be "faked"... and most people would probably want their G1C refunded for that.
I'd be totally in for a weapon design studio though, and I wouldn't want my G1C refunded.

no need for refunds tbh, and orbit could stil release skins that are too complex to make with 100 layers if they wanted to continue selling skins
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Snubnose said:

That concept was dropped because the game on UE3 couldn't handle it. Any initial work done for it is likely stripped out of the game and erased, since Gamersfirst/Reloaded couldn't into the concept of backing up data (aka Development 101). That being said, it would be one of the single most impressive additions that Little Orbit could add, and they'd have a huge positive response from the entire community for it if they took the time to do so.
  • Like 1