Sign in to follow this  
mtz

Adding a more detailed map image to the game

One of the issues with current day APB is the inaccuracy of its map/radar. The proportions on the map are vague approximations that don't really indicate the exact location. This issue is especially glaring on Waterfront when it comes to respawning in the vicinity of the Santa Maria Transport Ferry - a location that suggests spawning on the west end of the ferry actually spawns you on the west side of the dock, requiring you to run back south and walk up the gangplank. Marking locations with waypoints (for the rest of the team to see) is also problematic, seeing as pinpointing them on this basic map isn't reliable (it's not hard to place a waypoint in a ~8m radius away from the actual spot you want to indicate).

The radar in the bottom right corner could also use a similar change. It does not show anything except for specific icons. Adding an image beneath it as a background (as seen in other open world games such as Grand Theft Auto series or Saints Row series) could also help players with learning to approximate distances. The circles indicating 20, 40, 60 and 80 metres (numbers might be wrong, which would be entirely my fault here) combined with an image showing where EXACTLY these circles reach would allow players to measure distances by sight more easily.

What I have in mind is something similar to those maps.

t5KMyh2.jpg

Ua8oUyG.jpg

(These images do not belong to me, I do not know their original author, I only found them on Google.)

I think it would be a universally and unambiguously positive change to add a more detailed map to both the M-key menu, the respawn screen and the radar in the bottom right corner of the screen.

• Like 8

i’m fine with the map getting more detailed

i think the radar should stay pretty much as is, having it be more detailed would make it a little too easy to see exactly where pings and radar tower tags are

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

i think the radar should stay pretty much as is, having it be more detailed would make it a little too easy to see exactly where pings and radar tower tags are

Though this is a valid argument, I'd argue that it wouldn't be made too simple, seeing as the topdown image would not account for height, but just show the topmost thing (so, in a way, only rooftops would be represented instead of entire hallways, corridors and indoor areas).

aside from maps like asylum (where you have 3 floors stacked on top of each other) it'd be pretty easy to fill the vertical location knowledge with game sense. I don't really see a reason to change up the radar - agreed with slightly more detailed overhead. Maybe a toggle?

• Like 1

A more detailed map would be very welcome.

I'm split on the radar idea, however. Thinking back to Halo, which has a similar radar implementation as APB, it never seemed to detract from the gameplay; with GTA's minimap/radar, however, I would hate to have APB's style instead. It's a question of which implementation best fits APB's gameplay.

• Like 1