Sign in to follow this  
Nitronik

Bullet Casing mod - Hard Damage increase

I made this suggestion back in 2012.

I wonder how well it'd work today. There still isn't a single mod that affects Hard Damage (=done against vehicles) in the game

It has three levels, and it is a red mod (so can't be used together with Improved Rifling or Cooling Jacket)

Increases Hard Damage by +10/15/20%
Reduces projectile* speed by 10/12/15 m/s

Reduces Drop-off range by 12/15/18m

or
Slightly / Moderately / Substantially increases accuracy loss per shot (thanks Kempington)

*OSMAW rockets, OPGL grenades

As you can tell from the percentages, the mod is going to mostly benefit weapons that already have decent Hard Damage and long drop off distances ( like the ALIG ) while guns like the OCA and the JG wouldn't really benefit from this (since they'd be left with an effective range of around 10 meters)

At Level 3, An OSMAW rocket would do around 1480 Hard Damage.
Cars like the Pioneer and the Espacio (2000 hp) will still not be destroyed instantly, while cars that barely survived the explosion (Fresno and Vegas) wouldn't be so lucky,

An OPGL explosion would do around 750 Hard Damage.

There will be a drawback to this : the lowered rocket/grenade speed, which makes it harder to land shots at long ranges, especially if your opponent is aware of your presence.

To make an example of a weapon that wasn't built with AV capabilities in mind, the Obeya CR762, which already sports incredible range, good accuracy, and quite a high Hard Damage, still wouldn't be able to destroy 1000hp cars in one magazine, and it would also lose it's distinctive drop-off distance. Same goes for the SR15 Carbine : this one would actually suffer a lot more due to the short drop-off

Back then, the DMR did not sport increased damage past 88m, so this mod would benefit the gun twice as much, turning it into a 2shot at much shorter distances. The mod would need an unique downside specific to this gun.

Fun fact : SHAW and OCA have the EXACT SAME hard damage

Edited by Nitronik
nicer looking post
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to see new modifications appear in game, there is already a plethora of vehicle specific weapons, this could open to door to more versatile options or more tailored choices, the drop off reduction also makes it more dangerous to engage vehicles as the chance to be run over increases exponentially 

In terms of what weapon mods affects on a weapon, it's not a bad idea. It's new and fresh, but in terms of practicality, I don't think it's a good idea.
Majority of the weapons that are AV-orientated do their job pretty well and satisfactory. It would be a gimmick mod
Good idea, it just wouldn't execute well

3 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

In terms of what weapon mods affects on a weapon, it's not a bad idea. It's new and fresh, but in terms of practicality, I don't think it's a good idea.
Majority of the weapons that are AV-orientated do their job pretty well and satisfactory. It would be a gimmick mod

I reckon it'd fit the same mod niche as Muzzle Brake and High Magnification scope - good for some use cases, not ideal on the majority of weapons

Just now, Nitronik said:
4 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

I reckon it'd fit the same mod niche as Muzzle Brake and High Magnification scope - good for some use cases, not ideal on the majority of weapons
How dare you call muzzle brake and HMS niche. I'll have you know I slap them on most ARs and LMGs

you would think I'm memeing, sadly, no. I actually do use them like that