Sign in to follow this  
a Pair of Socks

WTB East US Servers

Posted (edited)

West has dogshit unstable ping, please dont remove East lmao.

Just got back and already the games fucking up again :^)

interrupt-bo1.gif

Edited by a Pair of Socks
  • Like 1

I miss the Overkill servers.
Imagine if LO hosted action districts with overclocked servers on recent hardware O.O

https://apbreloaded.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 17, 2013

In a synthetic benchmark the i7-3930K OC (compared to the stock X5570) shows raw gains of nearly 70% in single-threaded performance (!). We do lose two cores per server, but the extra expense (more servers) seem worth the vast performance gain.
2u_server_3930k.jpg

4 hours ago, Talla said:

I miss the Overkill servers.
Imagine if LO hosted action districts with overclocked servers on recent hardware O.O

https://apbreloaded.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 17, 2013

In a synthetic benchmark the i7-3930K OC (compared to the stock X5570) shows raw gains of nearly 70% in single-threaded performance (!). We do lose two cores per server, but the extra expense (more servers) seem worth the vast performance gain.
2u_server_3930k.jpg

Where is RAM in this setup.

Also loose SSD, yikes.

• Like 1

Surprisingly, I had good hit registration on US West yesterday, even when the whole district would lag out.

I miss the overkill servers crashing too. Good times.

I wonder how the district server will run on a basic desktop with an AMD X3D chip? Going by performance over the years, it seems like the districts are limited by single threaded performance and memory latency. No matter what hardware, LO needs to host districts on their own dedicated physical servers. Cloud based is terrible for latency. They cram tons of virtual machines onto the highest core count, lowest core clock CPUs with the lowest JEDEC spec memory. If they're clustered, your VMs are constantly being moved around to different hosts, adding more latency.

I doubt dedicated physical hardware is affordable for LO at this time. Not so much the hardware, but being able to pay someone who knows what they're doing. Cisco and Dell can't even find people who know how to apply thermal paste properly, and not bend the CPU socket pins repeatedly.