Westford

Jericho - Broadcast Message - Shutdown ....

Not to single out Jericho, by any means ... but as this is the only server that I have access/visibility on,
I will stick "with what I know"...

If the same is happening on Citadel... so be it ... , Citadel players can add to this thread, and confirm here.

Over the last few days , Jericho players have received some "impromptu" broadcasts, in game. that a;
"Server Wide Shutdown" will commence in 10min.

This has happen on Jericho a few times that I have been on in the last 3-5 days.

I am not complaining.

If this is what needs to happen .. then ... "do what you gotta do"..

I am only asking for some feedback, and perhaps some public info for the populace.

Questions:

1) What was the determining factor for the Server Restarts during the week ?
    What data was collected that prompted  a determination for this response ?

Most of us know, that the current netcode is somewhat "borked" ...    (btw...  that is a very old word ... lol )      🙃

2) During these periods where a "Restart" was advised, what was the determining factor ?
     - Memory
     - CPU
     - Storage
     - Network
     - Other

3) Not sure what metrics are being gathered during this time, It usually falls under the primary 4 areas:
       - CPU
       - Memory
       - Storage
       - Network

Over the last few weeks, as impromptu "Restarts" have been initiated,
   has this been an opportunity for the DEV team to collect any significant data, to help isolate the issues ..

We are all just looking for a bit more info ...

\
Regards
Westford

Restarting the servers temporarily fixes the server-based lag problem. I believe it was mentioned somewhere that it's a memory leak issue they're having trouble isolating for a fix.

13 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Restarting the servers temporarily fixes the server-based lag problem. I believe it was mentioned somewhere that it's a memory leak issue they're having trouble isolating for a fix.

This^
So please spread the word, many players seem to be concerned / confused by all the restarts.

21 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Hey ,,, I admit, that I missed that post.

OFF TOPIC: Is there an available DEV Tracker Link that we can use ?

ON TOPIC: 
"fixes the server-based lag problem. I believe it was mentioned somewhere that it's a memory leak issue "

So you are implying that the "lag" is related to memory leaks, and not any netcode, or network issues?
Good to hear.

Thanks
I'm sure a post from an LO rep, at some point, to let us all know the progress and our current status, would be a great.

Looking forward to the future....

Regards

1 minute ago, Westford said:

ON TOPIC: 
"fixes the server-based lag problem. I believe it was mentioned somewhere that it's a memory leak issue "

So you are implying that the "lag" is related to memory leaks, and not any netcode, or network issues?
Good to hear.

Thanks
I'm sure a post from an LO rep, at some point, to let us all know the progress and our current status, would be a great.

Regards
As Matt explained it in discord, it is a netcode issue, but at the time he couldnt go into more detail.
Feel free to join if you want in on the LO staff shenanigans.
https://discord.gg/NW5tv34

5 minutes ago, Westford said:

ON TOPIC: 

Good to hear.

Thanks

Regards

dev tracker is at the of the page

top right under forum rules on desktop

top right “folded page” symbol on mobile

On 7/10/2018 at 7:40 PM, CookiePuss said:
As Matt explained it in discord, it is a netcode issue, but at the time he couldnt go into more detail.
Feel free to join if you want in on the LO staff shenanigans.
https://discord.gg/NW5tv34
Thanks.

I do have access to the "Unofficial" Discord channel, but only hop on maybe once or twice a month, so I am sure that I & many others, 
miss a lot of LO's comments there.

Thank you for relaying some of that communication here.
Not all of us "live & breath" over there on Discord, so this helps.

One component that I had missed in my list of components that make up the APB application/infrastructure, was the software... hence the netcode.
A slight oversight on my part.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:44 PM, BXNNXD said:

dev tracker is at the of the page

top right under forum rules on desktop

top right “folded page” symbol on mobile

Thanks, I enabled the "Admin Tracker" , very useful.

I suppose my post last evening had in some part be due to....,  a slight level of frustration.

The game crashed on me twice last night, and one impromptu Restart broadcasted.
One of the crashes,  I have also experience in the last few weeks (only the last few weeks), is a very small dialog box showing up with the msg..
"Running out of Memory" .. (or something to that nature, with an OK button, which then brings you to the desktop.
Of course I restart my own system after each APB crash.

The other crash, is a bit more abrupt, just crashes to the desktop, with an added caveat of a Windows Dialog Box to send "A Crash Report" to G1,
which I always do......   (doesn't everyone ??)

Was hoping for additional info from the LO team, but perhaps the timing is a bit premature, as they are still in "analysis mode".
Hence no official response to this particular post.
No problemo ... (stuff happens)  😎

I look forward, as I am sure many of us are, with some more details on the periodic restarts, crashes and root cause to correct the issues.
I can only imaging that working with an application that is using two different versions of the Unreal Engine is a challenge in of itself.

Yep.... LO certainly have their hands full;
- Performance
- Reliability / Stability
- Player retention
- Cheaters (... yes on ongoing battle, sad to say)
- Unification (UE 3.5)

- and then, finally some content

I do not envy them with the tasks at hand, but, a tad more details on some of the performance and stability would be wonderful.
Posted in the official Forums of course. :classic_happy:

Regards