Sign in to follow this  
Kast2

APB Crash randomly

I've been back playing occasionally recently, and I thought the 64-bit version had finally solved the problem related to each RTX card, but apparently it's only slightly improved.

If I used to crash every 30 minutes, now I crash 2-3 times in a row every X minutes and then it stabilizes those 1-2 hours, or crashes randomly when I have to respawn.

I've tried a few fixes like the GarbageCollectionMemoryCeilingGb or the TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects but they don't totally do anything to me.

I'm open to advice because other than putting the game back into oblivion once and for all I wouldn't know what to do.

For my computer specs:
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G OC
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2 x 16GB) 5200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Ud (DDR5)
SSD 2 (where the game is installed): Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 - 1TB

interesting every one is using the "GarbageCollectionMemoryCeilingGb or the TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects "   I dont use either and the game is fine. 

So things you can try , its a trial error life unfortunately 

-> Run the game in a window  ( have use a 2560x1440 as my primary so i run the game in 2310x1190)   

L> if your worried about screen tearing in game due to window mode, go into NVC / manage 3d / program settings tab/ add APB 

(do not set these settings to global, create a profile for the game.exe this will set the run environment)

- then scroll  and find " Monitor Technology" = (if you have a basic monitor leave iit to global auto) or if  ( you have a freesync/gsync compatible montor select "gsync compatible") 

-  scroll to the bottom find "vertical sync" = ON . 

(Vsync will use more gpu but your on a 3080 with an old game, you wont even notice. 

- Then go to "setup G-sync"  / Enable For window And Fullscreen    

->    ingame turn off Vsync,  NVC will now handle all or any vertical Sync for the game . 

-> Check any and all 3rd party system software (corsair, razor , including screen cap. etc etc ) as they may have macro features or be trying to hook into your game. corsair or river tuner can do this and although ac should detect on load it might only detect it during game play. as people turn hacks etc on once in game .        

- if you are using screen cap, make sure you are capturing the screen/monitor environment and not attempting to hook to the game.exe . OBS you can just select the monitor and then resize to fit the game window. 

-> odd one depending on OS type.,. I use W11 64Pro , APB is just better on a secondary storage not OS device,  but only sata3 6gb SSD (using samsung evo 870) ,. It doesnt do well on my sn850x pcix4 m.2 ..  (This is probably more specific to me for a bunch of  of topic reasons on how my gaming system is configured but worth a try if you have the storage)   

-> always check your av/fw software. I use an advanced av with sandbox features which protects ram insertion etc . sometimes it flags apb or ac , i have to manually clear it once in a while,

let me know how you get on  🫡

-> Run the game in a window  ( have use a 2560x1440 as my primary so i run the game in 2310x1190)   

-> always check your av/fw software. I use an advanced av with sandbox features which protects ram insertion etc . sometimes it flags apb or ac , i have to manually clear it once in a while,

let me know how you get on  🫡

I tested by trying with the Fullscreen Windowed Mode but the result is the same (it crashes), I should try in Windowed Mode but the problem is that if I use it I am left with the Windows bar below and I end up on it with the mouse, if you can tell me how I can overlay the game window on top I can try to test it.

-> Check any and all 3rd party system software (corsair, razor , including screen cap. etc etc ) as they may have macro features or be trying to hook into your game. corsair or river tuner can do this and although ac should detect on load it might only detect it during game play. as people turn hacks etc on once in game .        

- if you are using screen cap, make sure you are capturing the screen/monitor environment and not attempting to hook to the game.exe . OBS you can just select the monitor and then resize to fit the game window. 

I don't have any third party software except Logitech which I need for my headphones and Razer which I need for Mouse and Keyboard and both don't have any weird stuff active.

-> odd one depending on OS type.,. I use W11 64Pro , APB is just better on a secondary storage not OS device,  but only sata3 6gb SSD (using samsung evo 870) ,. It doesnt do well on my sn850x pcix4 m.2 ..  (This is probably more specific to me for a bunch of  of topic reasons on how my gaming system is configured but worth a try if you have the storage)   

the OS is not on this SSD, I have a fully dedicated 256GB one for Windows. This 1TB one is solely for games.
I could try moving the game to the third SSD which would be a Samsung 870 EVO (so not a M.2).

I don't have Windows Firewall active and I only use Windows Defender precisely because I've had problems in the past with others AV.

So yeah not much to try other than moving the game to a non-M.2 SSD or trying to play the game in windowed mode.
I was thinking of a DDR5 RAM issue, being such an old game (see previous issue with RTX cards) but I don't think I'm the only one with DDR5 RAM.

On 1/7/2024 at 4:16 PM, Kast2 said:

GarbageCollectionMemoryCeilingGb or the TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects

it's quite strange you didnt see any difference... did you launch the game using the launcher?

hm,..  So

Window Mode 

"left with the Windows bar below and I end up on it with the mouse,"

In theory if the window is with in the screen / desktop space your mouse once in the game should lock to the game. I although a few times experienced the mouse leaving the game window to the sides. but never bottom. unless your game window goes below/behind the desktop taskbar. then yes the task bar will take priority over the game window. you can if you alt+tab out of the game., and then resize the game window to your desire. 

3rd party software

"software except Logitech which I need for my headphones and Razer"

Logitech by the looks of the website if using G-Hub has the ability to co-ord with games. (change rgb or device settings based on the game) You should find an option with in the hub to disable game profiles/co-ord.   

(Google search "logitech g hub how to disable game interaction? 😉

Razer is known for its issues due to the "synapsis" software being flagged for having macro software (used to be called "autoit")  , EVEN if your mouse or device does not have or use macro keys. the software will still be packaged with it.    EAC will detect 3rd party macro or hooking programs even if disabled during load but activated mid game.  Not  to say you are.. but just so you are aware.         

AUTOIT you can search your start menu "add remove programs" then look for a program called autoit. and remove it. 

you can also use a utility i use (it is more advanced so if not confident dont use it)  called "AutoRuns" that allows you to see hidden process/programs running. disable etc. 

(Google search Razer how to remove autoit?? 😉

SSD try it. it is interesting how a lot of old gen games don't like /agree with m.2 . 

AV.  not running any AV or firewall is never a good idea especially games that work p2p. ., but its down to individuals. Not recommending but if your interested I use and have done for 8+ years used Comodo Pro package ,  people  have  views (i dont care)  full av, hips, sandbox, advanced firewall and more.. Fully compatible with HC competitive Gaming. you will need to learn/understand how to modify detection, add remove access etc . easy once you know it . its brilliant.  also makes you realise how much junk is shipped with stuff all wanting internet access to some server in a field on the other side of the world. 

DDR5 no. wont be an issue. nether speed. i run 

Nv RTX4080 FE - i7 13700k 16c24t 5.4ghz - Corsair H115Elite - Corsair Ven-XMP 32gb DDR5 6000 DC - Creative AE-5+ - WD 1tb + 2TB PCIeX4.0 M.2 

Added  note after posting this..  

try running the game with admin rights. I run mine in admin. 

Edited by Sgt Drayke

On 1/10/2024 at 9:04 PM, PingOVER9000 said:

it's quite strange you didnt see any difference... did you launch the game using the launcher?

No I always start the game from the folder where APB.exe is.

Merged.

3rd party software

"software except Logitech which I need for my headphones and Razer"

Logitech by the looks of the website if using G-Hub has the ability to co-ord with games. (change rgb or device settings based on the game) You should find an option with in the hub to disable game profiles/co-ord.   

Razer is known for its issues due to the "synapsis" software being flagged for having macro software (used to be called "autoit")  , EVEN if your mouse or device does not have or use macro keys. the software will still be packaged with it.    EAC will detect 3rd party macro or hooking programs even if disabled during load but activated mid game.  Not  to say you are.. but just so you are aware.         

AUTOIT you can search your start menu "add remove programs" then look for a program called autoit. and remove it. 

you can also use a utility i use (it is more advanced so if not confident dont use it)  called "AutoRuns" that allows you to see hidden process/programs running. disable etc. 

I am aware of everything that is present in these two software and as I specified before nothing is active, nor is there any package relating to Macros or anything else. Otherwise I would have also had problems on other games with the same type of Anti-Cheat or similar.

AV.  not running any AV or firewall is never a good idea especially games that work p2p. ., but its down to individuals. Not recommending but if your interested I use and have done for 8+ years used Comodo Pro package ,  people  have  views (i dont care)  full av, hips, sandbox, advanced firewall and more.. Fully compatible with HC competitive Gaming. you will need to learn/understand how to modify detection, add remove access etc . easy once you know it . its brilliant.  also makes you realise how much junk is shipped with stuff all wanting internet access to some server in a field on the other side of the world. 

This is just my personal choice and I've been going this way for years, never had any problems. In the end, just don't be stupid by downloading randomly and Windows Defender will be more than enough.

try running the game with admin rights. I run mine in admin. 

I already start it in administrator mode

Edited by Kast2
Removed useless comment

So I installed the game on the non-M.2 SSD, for a few days in a row I played several hours without any problem except maybe occasionally when I changed districts. However now it still happens that it crashes randomly, although the difference this time is that the game ends up in the "Software not respond" state while before it would freeze and close on its own.

So definitely an improvement, but still not perfect.

Edited by Kast2

Ok well software not responding is better then just freezing and closing.. 

and more game uptime is a win.  there is oddities with the game that unfortunately just cant be answered,. like once I found the game requires a Netframework that isn't available at the time to w10 users in the far east, as soon as it detects the installation region it wont install. thus making the game unstable. haha..    So  yeh   you are in a better position now. 

I would say if its entering a "non responsive state" over 2-3 hours of gaming, this could be the "memory leak",. which can ... still happen..  (called memory leak , but its not want it sounds like, your system or game isnt actually leaking memory .)      

Definitions = Memory leaks are a class of bugs where the application fails to release memory when no longer needed. Over time, memory leaks affect the performance of both the particular application as well as the operating system. A large leak might result in unacceptable response times due to excessive paging.

you can if you havnt already try adjusting your page file. an old tactic back in the day but not really used on modern w10/11 os with modern hardware . But if you do it, you can always revert it . just make a note of what size it is before changing it. 

Windows 11 you can search your start bar " Advanced system settings" go to tab "advanced" option 1 "performance > Settings "  opens a new window - Second tab "advanced" option 2 "Virtual Memory" rule of thumb is to adjust in small amounts.,. its equal to just under 9/10% of your total system memory. like i have 32gb so my page is 3075.  but really if say you have 1025 then 2050 would be a big jump in paging. do not think that going beyond in masses will be a gain. it can seriously have a negative effect. Note the "unacceptable response times due to excessive paging" the logic behind adding more paging space, is that if your system can handle a little more paging space it might add a little more gaming time.  Might being the key word. 

older w7 /10 i think you can just search "Paging file size" to find it. 

Edited by Sgt Drayke

On 1/17/2024 at 4:27 AM, Sgt Drayke said:

Ok well software not responding is better then just freezing and closing.. 

Yes, I would say that I'm more than happy with that, I honestly don't really want to waste time looking for the "definitive solution".
It also seems that switching from Fullscreen Window to Fullscreen mode and then back to Fullscreen Window further decreases the likelihood of the game crashing.