Sign in to follow this  
Clumsyhunt3R

Advertising boards: What can be done to use their full potential?

Hear me out, right: Advertising boards. They are scattered all over APB, yet always show the same thing (they were changed a bunch of times but let's ignore that for now). What if they were used to display real-life banner ads of the sponsors of APB, acting as another revenue stream? 

If you take a look at mobile games, they are doing just that, but instead of ads in the game-world, it's done with annoying pop-ups and constant screen-space hogs. The way i suggested, i think it would be the best of both worlds: Sponsors would be able to advertise their products to the gamers, the devs would get a solid revenue stream and it would make the world more immersive for the gamers themselves. 

I'm sure that i'm missing a bunch of behind-the-scenes reasons why it can't be done, and In the state that the game is now, i doubt that many companies would be interested in investing, but i bring it as more food for thought for future games. 

i'm interested to hear the community's thoughts on this; why or why not you think this would or wouldn't work. 

tl;dr: make the in-game advertisements display real ads. Yay or nay?

• Like 1

I mean it not a bad idea imo, but some people will probably hate it since video games are a escape from reality and all that. but I personal would not mind seeing real world adds on the billboard as long as they fit with with the theme of the game.

Quake Live tried this and it was deemed a failure as advertisers pay for view time and players only spend micro seconds looking at in game environmental ads.

Vehicle kits draw players in as they are applicable to player tradeable vehicles, If clothing kits could be trade they would have further appeal.

Vehicle kits would be even more profitable if vehicles in general were so balanced with each other.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:43 AM, Clumsyhunt3R said:

Hear me out, right: Advertising boards. They are scattered all over APB, yet always show the same thing (they were changed a bunch of times but let's ignore that for now). What if they were used to display real-life banner ads of the sponsors of APB, acting as another revenue stream? 

If you take a look at mobile games, they are doing just that, but instead of ads in the game-world, it's done with annoying pop-ups and constant screen-space hogs. The way i suggested, i think it would be the best of both worlds: Sponsors would be able to advertise their products to the gamers, the devs would get a solid revenue stream and it would make the world more immersive for the gamers themselves. 

I'm sure that i'm missing a bunch of behind-the-scenes reasons why it can't be done, and In the state that the game is now, i doubt that many companies would be interested in investing, but i bring it as more food for thought for future games. 

i'm interested to hear the community's thoughts on this; why or why not you think this would or wouldn't work. 

tl;dr: make the in-game advertisements display real ads. Yay or nay?

they literally already came up with and tested this in the game