Sign in to follow this  
SolomonBull

Just how weird was FE's old engine?

Found this old Icarus platform video while looking into Fallen Earth. In case folks were wondering why the game needs a new engine in order to continue in a meaningful way, it's because the original tech was bizarre. I love how weird and ambitious this thing was.  

Icarus Studios Platform Overview

Edited by Julian Bull
  • Thanks 1

it wasnt so bad. i mean sure i could clip underwater in boneclaw or slam into a fence at full speed and clip through it. or the npcs would flop around into a fix pose. but that shit isn't game breaking 

but yes it does need a new engine, because there was alot of game breaking shit i saw in almost 6k hours

22 hours ago, cowhorseman said:

it wasnt so bad. i mean sure i could clip underwater in boneclaw or slam into a fence at full speed and clip through it. or the npcs would flop around into a fix pose. but that shit isn't game breaking 

but yes it does need a new engine, because there was alot of game breaking shit i saw in almost 6k hours

Oh the point I'm making here isn't that it was a bad engine, just that it was a strange piece of tech, trying to be all things at once. I wouldn't want to have to maintain it if I was LO. 

5 hours ago, Julian Bull said:

Oh the point I'm making here isn't that it was a bad engine, just that it was a strange piece of tech, trying to be all things at once. I wouldn't want to have to maintain it if I was LO. 

oh trust me i know it was weird. for example there was a spot in alpha zone, in this spot if you jumped off you would get stuck in a way that the game would try to place you on the ground but not. so what happens? you float into the sky and hit the sky box. then fall down and slam into the earth at Mach 2 and get 50k damage. there is a list of strange bugs and glitch's like horse demounting by force in some areas could get you OOB or backwards hoping into items and getting places you should not be. (like turtle island in the s2 vista base) some objects were not solid others were some floated some didn't

cars were the oddest point of the engine to me, it's like they were made last second barely worked and they stayed that way

and don't get me on the cheeseable AI Argus and a few others were suppose to be super hard fought bosses but super easy via cheese hell infact this game was based on running around sitting and healing like a headless chicken

overall if the engine was keep up to date and held out better then a popsicle shack you made in 2nd grade i think we would be still online. i give it a 6/10 I've seen worse

I mean beyond the prediction engine, hundreds of clientside errors that were conditional to each user.... It was ok.

Sign in to follow this