OUTDREW

Crashing Just After Character Select

So I've been playing for years and have had to deal with fixing tons of issues that cause crashing. This one is a new one and matches to none anyone else have reported, and it's very consistent. I can load the game fully up until the character select screen and can even mess with settings and bounce around between characters. However, when I hit 'next' to load into the actual game, it crashes the game every time on the "Contacting World Server". It freezes as the loading bar is crossing the screen and stays there till Windows finally crashes the game EVERY TIME. I was playing just fine a few days ago and have done nothing different or installed anything new since then. I have done almost ever fix in the book including launching administrator mode (always do), updating all my drivers, repairing the game files, restarting my PC, and even reinstalling the game completely. I have no anti-virus to block the connection, so that's not it either. I'm drawing a blank, and the next thing I was gonna try was the advanced APB launcher, but I feel like it won't fix it either. Can anyone help with this one?

UPDATE: I was able to login and get past this point just fine on my girlfriend's PC on the same network. So I now know it is specifically a problem with my computer, I just don't know what that problem is still.

EDIT: The Advanced APB Launcher did not fix the issue, a least with the base settings. Also, I can make it crash before clicking next on the character screen if I try to change the window type ie, windowed, windowed fullscreen, or fullscreen.

EDIT 2: I did pull up the logs too, and I am getting a error code of 0x113386FC which seems like a Viovox crash of some kind. I can't find many results on it, seems pretty rare. But I tried the fixes available to no avail. It seems weird because APB doesn't even need Viovox to run the game and I constantly end it's task while in game with no problems for better performance. During my attempts to fix it, I even tried replacing all the Viovox files with ones I knew were good from another PC. I'm getting so frustrated that I can't figure this out after literally removing every trace of the game from my PC and reinstalling/repairing/etc.

Edited by OUTDREW

i have the same problem ... game worked fine few days ago .. but after they started the gun game at saturday i cant log in anymore ... game freezes at characterselect

and just like you - i did not change anything at my computer

On 5/21/2020 at 5:18 PM, OneManMafia said:

i have the same problem ... game worked fine few days ago .. but after they started the gun game at saturday i cant log in anymore ... game freezes at characterselect

and just like you - i did not change anything at my computer

Have you had any luck at all? Because I still have not after trying multiple new things including turning off Windows Defender completely, deleting my graphics card driver from the registry and reinstalling it, and much more. I also sent a message to support but I am aware they currently have super long wait times. Which sucks because I'm off for a week right now and really wanted to stream some APB, especially since I just got my first approved emote.

Edited by OUTDREW

On 5/28/2020 at 6:46 AM, OneManMafia said:

no - i still cant play.

So while I still don't know what was wrong with it, I did fix it. Apparently something software wise was conflicting it, even though I don't recall installing anything new between the time it was working to the time it didn't. What I did was saved all my files and did a full reset of Windows. I saved everything on a separate drive just in case, but it does have an option to save your personal files regardless. If you want to try this, it will remove all your installed programs and most of your windows settings, so be ready for that.

Go to start menu and type "Reset this PC". It should pop up before you even finish typing under system settings. Click "Get Started", and it will pop up with 2 options, one of which will save your personal files. After it goes through the full reset you need to reinstall Steam and then APB and it should work as it did for me!

Edited by OUTDREW

On 5/18/2020 at 11:13 PM, OUTDREW said:

So I've been playing for years and have had to deal with fixing tons of issues that cause crashing. This one is a new one and matches to none anyone else have reported, and it's very consistent. I can load the game fully up until the character select screen and can even mess with settings and bounce around between characters. However, when I hit 'next' to load into the actual game, it crashes the game every time on the "Contacting World Server". It freezes as the loading bar is crossing the screen and stays there till Windows finally crashes the game EVERY TIME. I was playing just fine a few days ago and have done nothing different or installed anything new since then. I have done almost ever fix in the book including launching administrator mode (always do), updating all my drivers, repairing the game files, restarting my PC, and even reinstalling the game completely. I have no anti-virus to block the connection, so that's not it either. I'm drawing a blank, and the next thing I was gonna try was the advanced APB launcher, but I feel like it won't fix it either. Can anyone help with this one?

Are you running a GTX 16XX series cards, or an RTX card ?

if yes this is an issue with apb that is caused by the game being unable to process 64 bit instructions 
It tends to happen with all modern graphics cards , especially GTX 16XX Series and RTX Series cards

There is no fix for it other than wait for the engine upgrade

i took me a few weeks to identify the problem. i have to admit : it wasnt little orbits fault.

i have an "OC" version of  a graphics card but i wasnt aware that it was "overclocked" to be honest ... all i had to do was to install msi afterburner and reduce the core clock by 50mhz ... that stopped the freezing.