ScarecrowXIII

Smoke Grenades?

Smoke grenades/grenade launcher in APB?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see smoke grenades added to the game?

• Yes
    • No

I think it would be a fun/interesting addition to the game. Especially in waterfront where there are long sight lines, you could pop a smoke and keep on moving while relatively safe from long range fire.

I know this would reduce the long-range effectiveness of many weapons but this could be countered by the spotter modification and maybe the tagger (spotter marks players through walls but tagged enemies' marks can only be seen if the marked player is within line of sight). Which would require a a bit more coordination among teammates or a solo player could mark targets before the smoke's popped.

Feel free to tell me your thoughts on this.

Edited by ScarecrowXIII

and flash bang too, this could safe your life or make a breakpoint if you are losing, i'm with you 

I like this idea ... but i also don't like it. let me explain,

I like the idea of having smoke grenades and eventually flashbangs but there are several other problems this could bring:

*many things have been removed from the game due to the fact it made the server lag, if many smoke grenades are used it could affect server performance. I don't believe the servers are strong enough to handle that at this time.

*Smokes/flashes can be deployed by ghosters (people outside of the mission) in order to help friends/clanmates or just to grief people.

*Smokes/flashes can be deployed by people of another mission and somehow disturb your mission, or opposingly give you an advantage

Having those grenades would be a great addition but first those problems have to be dealt with, and i wouldn't know how that could be possible

17 minutes ago, sundere said:

and flash bang too, this could safe your life or make a breakpoint if you are losing, i'm with you 

Thought about it, but felt it might be less useful by comparison so I just decided to focus on one.

2 minutes ago, Outofmyway said:

I like this idea ... but i also don't like it. let me explain,

I like the idea of having smoke grenades and eventually flashbangs but there are several other problems this could bring:

*many things have been removed from the game due to the fact it made the server lag, if many smoke grenades are used it could affect server performance. I don't believe the servers are strong enough to handle that at this time.

*Smokes/flashes can be deployed by ghosters (people outside of the mission) in order to help friends/clanmates or just to grief people.

*Smokes/flashes can be deployed by people of another mission and somehow disturb your mission, or opposingly give you an advantage

Having those grenades would be a great addition but first those problems have to be dealt with, and i wouldn't know how that could be possible

I did not think of this at all, you're quite right. The fastest solution (to outsiders interference) I can think of is allowing the names to still be visible through the smoke but yeah, unless they can code it in a way that only the persons in the same mission can get affected by it then this won't work.

mmm yeah the laggy effect of the smoke, good point there, the other one i mean it can be easy solved (in my opinion i really don't know if  this is easy in code or not), as people can't attack or to interfere in mission (shoot, or nade, affect or moving, well only if they come with a car), probably just the flash nade only flash the guys on mission?

15 minutes ago, sundere said:

mmm yeah the laggy effect of the smoke, good point there, the other one i mean it can be easy solved (in my opinion i really don't know if  this is easy in code or not), as people can't attack or to interfere in mission (shoot, or nade, affect or moving, well only if they come with a car), probably just the flash nade only flash the guys on mission?

*adds goggle character modification lvl 3: reduces duration effect of flashbangs by 70%*

Well, it would be neat if they could figure that out, would open up a lot more options for fights

Lag won't be an issue.

You throw a smoke grenade, it just tells the server that an item is on the floor.

This triggers the smoke effect, make the smoke effect client sided and only so the people in the match see it.

Note, client sided means your PC does the rendering, the server will not control anything to do with the smoke particles just announce to your game client where the smoke originates from.

2 hours ago, ElectroStingz said:

Lag won't be an issue.

You throw a smoke grenade, it just tells the server that an item is on the floor.

This triggers the smoke effect, make the smoke effect client sided and only so the people in the match see it.

Note, client sided means your PC does the rendering, the server will not control anything to do with the smoke particles just announce to your game client where the smoke originates from.

Hmm, client-side smoke rendering does have it's own issue where the clients might render the smoke differently, so a player might see that he is hidden but an enemy can partially see him near the edge of the cloud or something similar.

This is a good idea though, Siege renders smoke client side as well and we just learn to deal with it

Edited by ScarecrowXIII

6 hours ago, ScarecrowXIII said:

I think it would be a fun/interesting addition to the game. Especially in waterfront where there are long sight lines, you could pop a smoke and keep on moving while relatively safe from long range fire.

I know this would reduce the long-range effectiveness of many weapons but this could be countered by the spotter modification and maybe the tagger (spotter marks players through walls but tagged enemies' marks can only be seen if the marked player is within line of sight). Which would require a a bit more coordination among teammates or a solo player could mark targets before the smoke's popped.

Feel free to tell me your thoughts on this.

People usually remove all smoke with the Advanced APB Launcher.

6 minutes ago, xNyuu said:

People usually remove all smoke with the Advanced APB Launcher.

Right, I don't know how to get around that one

The smoke will have to be fairly static, like hover in the said area similar to CS:GO.

They can also easily lock files with a verification check on startup so things like the APB launcher will no longer work.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2018 at 7:43 AM, ElectroStingz said:

They can also easily lock files with a verification check on startup so things like the APB launcher will no longer work. 

But then we'd lose a large chunk of the playerbase because APB's shitty optimization would make the game almost unplayable, even for people who meet the recommended requirements.

1 hour ago, Xnetexe said:

But then we'd lose a large chunk of the playerbase because APB's shitty optimization would make the game almost unplayable, even for people who meet the recommended requirements.

🙂 All suggestions are towards the newer version of APB (engine upgrade) as Little Orbit have mentioned no improvements / additions will be coming to the game in its current state.