Sign in to follow this  
ChangedName

My hopefully simple-to-implement suggestions

Hey, just wanted to leave my gameplay/mechanics suggestions that I think would be hopefully relatively simple to add. Feel free to leave critique!

Car Flipping

As it is in GTA5 or Halo, where you can shift your car back on its wheels if it has flipped over. I think this would be a really great feature, sometimes there are no pedestrian cars around you and you're far from a car spawner. This could even be a modification for the car itself, where you'd need to have that equipped and take up one of the slots for the car mods. I also think a lot of new players might naturally expect this to happen, as flipping your car happens quite a lot (at least for me, maybe I'm a bad driver 🙃)!

Gun/Economy Mechanics

I think it makes sense to have a level up system with the contacts, but I think it deters new players from continuously levelling up since it takes a while to get access to a wide array of actually good guns. Personally, I think it would be better to have the weapon unlocks as well as some mods towards the beginning of the contact progression rather than all throughout, perhaps leaving the more customization oriented stuff at the end of the progression, just to flex that you made it that far. Of course not all weapons have to be at the beginning, but I think it'd help keep players playing since this game is a customization game as much as it is a competitive combat game. 

I also think (and this may come with some warranted feedback), that players should have some basic access to guns in each category by default and not have to keep leasing guns. Starting off as a fresh newbie with just the STAR rifle and pistol makes gunplay in different scenarios particularly tricky, especially for a new player. Perhaps having permanent access to a shotgun, sniper and SMG would alleviate this but I'm not fully sure!

Matchmaking & Missions

The missions are fun as hell to play, sometimes certain stages can be annoying, but I think if there were missions in combination with fight club type events (both in the same district i.e., financial or waterfront) it would be super fun. If you're not in a mission, you could always just drive over to wherever the active fight club type event is and do that. Or you can just queue up for a regular mission. 

I think also this idea of splitting the districts into different types has had a negative impact on the matchmaking, where a more "transient" approach would be potentially better. Something where, lets say you're in Financial and you're waiting for a mission, if one is found in a different Financial district you could be teleported/connected to that district and put into the mission. 

Of course, APB doesn't really have the player base numbers right now to consider implementing that, so I think how it is right now is fine, given the fact that there's simply not enough people playing to begin with. But something to consider nonetheless!

Spawns

The respawn system is, questionable at best. It get's the job done, and car spawns are a very interesting mechanic to sprinkle on top. But I'm not sure if the idea of clicking randomly placed circles is the greatest idea. I'm not really sure either though, what could be better than that. Perhaps bigger circles, where you pick within a radius of selection where you want to spawn. At the end of the day, the [respawn] locations aren't always the greatest, the degree of freedom is lacking, the predictability of where you'll be able to spawn is null and void. I don't know whether a system like Fortnite's "rebooting" where players can respawn other players who had just died would work, or if something else entirely would be fit. I do know the current system is questionable.

Misc. Features

Better Waypoints/Markers: We already have waypoints, but they suck and honestly are annoying to use. Something akin to CS2 where you can effectively "ping" a location (where an enemy might be) as well as other in-game info. This type of thing I would imagine would be simple to implement and make the waypoint system used a lot more I'd bet. Right now you open a map and right click and that sets a waypoint, but you generally only do that when you're dead or if you deliberately stop and open the map for a second. The waypoints are also permanent, which just makes them get in the way of stuff on the screen. Instead, I think it'd be better for them to be a key you can press that traces to the location where you spotted something (i.e., enemy, car, objective, etc) and then fade out after a short duration. They would work similarly by only being shown to teammates. 

RTW Shaders Option: Super unnecessary, but god I'd love to see that button that enables it one day. 

Anyways, that's all I have. Peace and love.

9 hours ago, ChangedName said:

Gun/Economy Mechanics

I think it makes sense to have a level up system with the contacts, but I think it deters new players from continuously levelling up since it takes a while to get access to a wide array of actually good guns. Personally, I think it would be better to have the weapon unlocks as well as some mods towards the beginning of the contact progression rather than all throughout, perhaps leaving the more customization oriented stuff at the end of the progression, just to flex that you made it that far. Of course not all weapons have to be at the beginning, but I think it'd help keep players playing since this game is a customization game as much as it is a competitive combat game. 

I also think (and this may come with some warranted feedback), that players should have some basic access to guns in each category by default and not have to keep leasing guns. Starting off as a fresh newbie with just the STAR rifle and pistol makes gunplay in different scenarios particularly tricky, especially for a new player. Perhaps having permanent access to a shotgun, sniper and SMG would alleviate this but I'm not fully sure!

Funnily enough, the game already has shades of that, where some contacts' will have their unlocks be more focused on a specific item category (customizable clothes, preset weapons, preset vehicles, vehicle parts etc.). However, for whatever reason the actual non-preset weapon unlocks are tied to role progression instead of contact progression, which is good on paper because you're not tied to a specific district to unlock new guns, but the numbers themselves have never received any kind of fine-tuning. This is especially bad with the current playercounts; expecting people to get 10,000 kills per category to unlock 3-slot variants is insane. Even considering that this game is a free-to-play title and thus needs to incentivize people to spend money by letting them skip the grind, and even with a "normal" playercount, getting 10 thousand kills 5 times over to unlock the 3-slots for the main 5 primary weapon categories is a truly deranged number that I think I would only be somewhat willing to accept as an account-bound grind, not a per-character grind - and even then I'd be for lowering the requirements. Chrome skins can stay at 20k as a cosmetic reward for those truly dedicated, but let's not gate gameplay improvements behind such steep numbers.

Back when Secrets was part of the dev team, they stated in the LO Discord that optimally the Permanent Weapon Selector from the tutorials shouldn't be a selector of one 0-slot gun, but a care package of all the basic guns in 0 slot versions, just so progress is always possible in each weapon type without having to spend APB$ first — a sentiment I entirely agree with. Whether this will be realized remains to be seen.

9 hours ago, ChangedName said:

I think also this idea of splitting the districts into different types has had a negative impact on the matchmaking, where a more "transient" approach would be potentially better. Something where, lets say you're in Financial and you're waiting for a mission, if one is found in a different Financial district you could be teleported/connected to that district and put into the mission. 

If I remember correctly, that's what Little Orbit want to do: move matchmaking from district level to world level so you can be moved wherever a good mission would be feasible, so that's neat if/when we get that.

Other than that, yeah, your ideas sound neat. The car flipping part is one I'm kinda iffy about (can't think of a good rationalization for that one, even taking into account that this is a game where you can have kevlar implanted under your skin and take pills that numb you so much you don't feel a car slamming into you), the rest is neato.

the entire point of APB is that its an open world game, having a lobby system or teleporting players across the map is the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

unfortunately LO do not have any devs so they are just gonna release more broken cars to armas to get some money from the remaining cheaters who play the game.

Merged.

car flipping is also hilarious idea, learn to drive

Car Flipping

If I remind well, for a short period there was mod or something similar in RTW or at the beginning of the game... it was sort of kinky and fun, but also very buggy

Gun/Economy Mechanics

What you wrote let me guess you've never complete the tutorial, which I dont believe it's you case, anyway players may already receive a permanent weapon with 0 slots.

For the rest, Forget it, not because is a bad idea but the reasons behind how it's developed the game itsels . . . The system is designed for pushing players  purchasing weapons in armas (or sweat grinding )

Matchmaking & Missions

I want to say one thing; Devs sit and didnt consider for years doing nothing and  developing nothing with one of the most interesting and underused tool of the game: CLANS

Nope they haven't neither tried doing something, so we have clans  but nothing worth to justify their presence, like CLAN WARS, rewards etc... so Forget it anything new about matchmaking/missions except little adjustment of the current ones, actually reading last Devs've said their moving in this path you suggested, but you know

Spawns

It has grossly the same flaws for years . . . so Forget it, they'll keep the same ones or getting worse.

Misc. Features

Better Waypoints/Markers: 

Good one, also It will be nice they added a feature for group/ team leaders where they can add in the map a TEAM SHARED MARKER  for regrouping... but no, so FOrget it

RTW Shaders Option: ""Super unnecessary, but god I'd love to see that button that enables it one day"". FOrget it

You probabily dont know it, but Game & Forum Suggestion is just a joke from G1 for swindle players, LO as worthy scammers as them,  continued the tradition.