Sign in to follow this  
VickyFox

APB self improvement

Today I saw another thread saying something has been making the game feel unfair for new players again, I won’t go into detail or talk about that thread here out of courtesy and respect.

While LittleOrbit has to consider how to address such issues. One has to remember in order to learn to walk, there are going to be a few falls and of course a person has to learn to walk before they can run.

Regrettably new players express frequently that there is a steep learning curve to APB and that game play isn’t fair either because of match making, certain in game content, or by actions of their opponents.

This is something LittleOrbit will have to reflect on but I wanted to share some advice which could be helpful to both experienced players and new players for a healthier outlook on APB.

After a number of years I've seen and personally experienced fits of outrage to some scenarios which occur in game.

First off to address the elephant in the room, the community is passionate and competitive which can be misconstrued. Yes it can get out of hand as people get carried away in the moment.

I personally believe that the perception of the APB community being toxic isn’t far from wrong... But it just it, it is a perception... a way we go about viewing things which may be influenced by our mental approach to such subject and entities.

I also believe part of the issue down to a lack of grounding and dehumanisation of other players. Without a face or voice, they are but a character with name has some diminished qualities, although this is of course subliminal and completely unintended.

Those are just my personal beliefs, I'm not a psychologist or anything but feel free to give this post a downvote and you can choose to reconsider that later is you should so wish. ...or not, you troll lol.

---

Don't be afraid or take challenges negatively as much as one can, To get better at something one has take themselves out of their comfort zone. And that isn’t going to happen playing the same ranks or threat levels or using the same load out for everything.

To improve in APB, I didn't take advice from other APB players but actually took inspiration from professional level eSports... Rainbow 6 Pro Leage to be exact.

The common and consistent comment coming from eSports contenders is that every loss is an opportunity to improve, after each match the teams would rewatch the previous game to see how what they could have done to get a differently to get a better outcome.

After every game, pause with reflection of how you could of handled yourself differently in that last game and where there is room for improvement.

Sometimes it is unfortunate that situations posed are just unavoidable and nothing further could be done to change the outcome. Maybe a location is just too tight with no other access with defence so strong; it could be you were outnumbered and outgunned. Or even that the opponent is resorting to actions which are unfair and break the rules.

At such times it is not wrong to feel that it is unacceptable, but it would be for the best to just move on and not let it affect your gaming session.

So try to experiment with different guns, vehicles and mods and don’t settle for a second best comfort zone. Don’t worry if you lost a round, match or even every game. Everyone have good and bad days, but try to find the points in missions where you could of gone about things better.

Compliment those honed skills with situational awareness and lessons learnt from past mistakes, it is then that you’ll best utilise your load outs for the environment, objective and opponent's loadout.

It should go without saying celebrate the good points of the game, have fun because nobody is perfect...   ...although Skay is pretty OP...

“The person who doesn’t make mistakes is unlikely to make anything”

~Paul Arden

My top issue with APB's learning curve is the fact that there's so much you have to progress, and games of the TPS nature thrive on short term progress (i.e BR games). BR games literally offer you everything you need to defeat veteran players, other than actual skill and knowledge to do so (duh). This is why you can pickup on any BR game and eventually become good enough if you put the hours in without much frustration. This is also a key part of their success at achieving such high amount of players.

What I mean with this is, LO needs to cut down on modification and weapon progression in order to start leveling the field between veteran players and new players. The gameplay itself is already hard to learn and having to face a population of players that mostly consist of veterans doesn't help either. Veterans have access to all of the meta weapons, modifications and vehicles, new players are only granted this if they are good enough to win missions regularly and get to a state where they can purchase all of those things, otherwise they'll take so long that they eventually quit the game before they reach that point.

This is something that's been overlooked by G1 and LO and, honestly, I haven't heard a word about progression in years when it's one of APB's top issues other than matchmaking, server performance and cheaters.

Edited by swft
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, swft said:

My top issue with APB's learning curve is the fact that there's so much you have to progress, and games of the TPS nature thrive on short term progress (i.e BR games). BR games literally offer you everything you need to defeat veteran players, other than actual skill and knowledge to do so (duh). This is why you can pickup on any BR game and eventually become good enough if you put the hours in without much frustration.

What I mean with this is, LO needs to cut down on modification and weapon progression in order to start leveling the field between veteran players and new players. The gameplay itself is already hard to learn and having to face a population of players that mostly consist of veterans doesn't help either. Veterans have access to all of the meta weapons, modifications and vehicles, new players are only granted this if they are good enough to win missions regularly and get to a state where they can purchase all of those things, otherwise they'll take so long that they eventually quit the game before they reach that point.

This is something that's been overlooked by G1 and LO and, honestly, I haven't heard a word about progression in years when it's one of APB's top issues other than matchmaking, server performance and cheaters.

I think this is more telling of the changing times. Back 10 years ago, most MMos were adventure RPGs with new items having to be unlocked through progression. 

More new content is needed for newer players but Gamers First was trying to extend gameplay for maxed rank players. 

Battle Royal is a genre which is popular but while Riot is due, we can't compare APB to a BR game.

By design BR doest have progression as such. 

With questionable amount of content and game play value, in the past it may of been consider for a mini game mode but not taken seriously as a genre or stand alone game. 

Riot may compensate for this but in the core APB game, it is another thing for LO to think on.

There is still a strong argument for a proper tutorial. 

I heard the next 2 action district contacts will be mid teir. 

Edited by VickyFox