Sign in to follow this  
asdsa

Wednesday downtime for patches is way too long

Why is the downtime for patches so long? I am a software engineer so I work with Build and CI pipelines and I've never seen the need for a new update or patch for software need to take 10 hours to deploy. Even for other games that have huge content updates they are usually down for 2 - 4 hours. Even for small patches APB reloaded goes down for entire day like why what are they doing in that time? Restarting servers with a new patch should not take 10 hours to do(In a optimal setup, the servers wouldn't even need to be down for longer than 10 minutes. ). Testing and building should be done prior to patch release so I'm really not sure what they could be doing?

I'm looking for insiders or devs to explain why the downtime is so long. It just seems like in a long run it will hurt player retention and I'm just curious as to what is taking them so long for each patch. This is not a hate post just hoping that Little Orbit sees how abnormal there process is and hopefully takes a look at their internal build/deployment system so they can deploy patches quicker/more often in the future than waiting an entire week to do so because they need to take 10 hours to deploy a simple patch.

Small company, huge time periods. That's why we still dont have finished matchmaking and these new contacts. Or everything else...

old shitty code i guess

fallen earth was even older and shittier and they could barely turn that pile of garbage back on after maintenance shutdowns