mtz

Support for non-English diacritical marks in the game?

San Paro is a melting pot of many different cultures. The lore establishes it as a city founded by the Chinese, the English, the Dutch, the Spanish and the Korean people. We can even sometimes hear foreign languages on the streets, as civilians cuss out the player-controlled Enforcers and Criminals for being the reckless gun-toting bunch of maniacs they are. It also translates into the interactions between said players - especially true on the Citadel server, we come from different backgrounds and speak a multitude of different languages.

But that's kind of beside the point. (A bit.)

The point is that the English language is really all that can be used efficiently in the in-game chat. While I agree that the district chat should use English as its primary language, the game as a whole suffers from a lack of support of some diacritical marks present in some languages.

I come from Poland, so I'm not an expert on a wide linguistic range. I speak fluent Polish, fluent English, and an itty bitty tiny bit of French. I'll talk about this issue from my own perspective, since that's the only one I can provide; however, if any other players feel similar about their own language, please feel free to contribute to this thread!

In the Polish language, we have the following diacritical marks: ą ć ę ł ń ó ś ź ż .

These are considered to be separate letters, and each of them is placed in the alphabet immediately after its Latin counterpart (so ą goes between a and b and so on), and ź and ż are placed after z in that order. Their keyboard shortcut is Alt + the Latin counterpart, so Ą is Alt + A. (Except for ź, which uses the shortcut Alt + x.)

They're not really trivial differences - there are some instances in which their presence or absence can change the meaning of the sentence entirely. (For example, [wysłać] dziecko do kąta means [to send] a child to the corner, but remove all diacritical marks from that and you're left with dziecko do kata, which means a child to the executioner. Pretty grim, huh?)

APB Reloaded's in-game chat does not support those letters...

Well, okay, that's 88.(8)% true - for some reason, ó is supported by the default Alt + o key combination. Other diacritics aren't. It's just this one.

My question is:

Would it be possible to add support for these letters to the game in the future?

It is by no means an urgent issue that needs immediate resolving, but it would honestly be pretty nice to see my country get some support for our convoluted language 😛

I'd imagine that providing the support for those special letters would pave the way for a Polish localization or anything of that sort. Adding the ability to experience the game in one's native language brings interest from those who aren't too good at the game's "natural" language.

I'm looking forward to any and all feedback! 🙂

Edited by MartinPL
Reworded a phrase.
  • Like 1