I'm about to start playing the game for the first time, I'm a sucker for survival games as well as post apocolyptic games, so this game hit me in my soft spot, I'm just looking for a group to help guide me through whatever learning curve there might be

Do the missions in the starter towns, they usually learn you the basics! Also, try region chat or whatever to find some people. Global 1/2 (like a whole server chat) becomes available after your first purchase. Which can be free if you do a few surveys, it's an easy way to get in contact with people. 

18 hours ago, PraiseTheSun said:

Do the missions in the starter towns, they usually learn you the basics! Also, try region chat or whatever to find some people. Global 1/2 (like a whole server chat) becomes available after your first purchase. Which can be free if you do a few surveys, it's an easy way to get in contact with people. 

There are no longer surveys. Might try looking for a clan to join, Support Team Clan seems to be one of the more active clans with members who play often so might see if you can join them if you spot a member.