Configs Opinion  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider visual configs as cheating?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

So tell me, how is making the game playable cheating?

There's quite a difference between ever so slightly adjusting things to make a game run better, and abusing every option possible to gain an advantage.

See particle removal, outline shaders, super low textures, no shadows, removing animations so enemies in cover T-Pose out of cover, modifying sound files to make footsteps louder and so on.

• Thanks 1

Another spam poll yay.

1 hour ago, GhosT said:

There's quite a difference between ever so slightly adjusting things to make a game run better, and abusing every option possible to gain an advantage.

See particle removal, outline shaders, super low textures, no shadows, removing animations so enemies in cover T-Pose out of cover, modifying sound files to make footsteps louder and so on.

Noice.

1 hour ago, GhosT said:

Some of those can't be done anymore. 

Others are already against the rules. 

And how is no shadows an advantage? It's not like it removes them from your oppositions view. 

11 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

And how is no shadows an advantage? It's not like it removes them from your oppositions view. 

Some areas, especially at night, are extremely dark and the only thing that'll show up is red names and glowing weapon skins, I've lost a few firefights due to not knowing what exactly I have to aim at.

1 hour ago, GhosT said:

Some areas, especially at night, are extremely dark and the only thing that'll show up is red names and glowing weapon skins, I've lost a few firefights due to not knowing what exactly I have to aim at.

Oooh duh. 

I was only thinking of player shadows. 

Fair point. 

Its changing things so by removing some kind of visual effect you can potentially noit have as much lag as someone else which gives you an unfair advantage. Grow up and just play the game as is without trying to find a way around something so you have an advantage. This goes for any kind of modifying.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Its changing things so by removing some kind of visual effect you can potentially noit have as much lag as someone else which gives you an unfair advantage. Grow up and just play the game as is without trying to find a way around something so you have an advantage. This goes for any kind of modifying.

Many players do not experience the stutters and drops in frames that I do. 

Are they cheating too?

And if not, how am I cheating by giving myself the same experience? 

(This is a silly argument at this point. LOs stance on the matter is clear. Advanced launcher and configs are not cheating. So honestly who cares what any of us think?)

Edited by CookiePuss

11 hours ago, Glaciers said:

because cookie's config works for cookie's configuration

I am willing to test that theory if @CookiePusssend me his configuration. 

im sure I used to remove fog but I cant remember how I did it. this was many many years ago. My game runs smooth as butter 99% of the time on full right now though - I built my rig back in 2010 specifically to play APB. I did like the look of the no fog though but im sure it made everything too dark at night or in carparks under ground. I do think though that adjusting the configs to show outlines like borderlands, removing the smoke from grenades etc is cheating.

Using the latest hacks though from those paid sites it fine though. I think someone should go buy it and let us see how they get on 🙂

Disclaimer:

Buying cheats will get you banned. I d not endorse the purchase of cheats. If you buy one after reading this recommendation, you my friend are and always will be, a muppet.

14 hours ago, Glaciers said:

i’ve never once died/lost a mission and wondered if it was because my opponent had a config

i play on both factions, i have good friends on both factions, people talk you know? who'da thought it eh?

my opinion is pretty much void anyway though since i thought a "config" was what AL can do, nothing more.

Edited by YumiSakura

Why even keep that amount of customizable options client-sided? Just burn it into the game, and not in the text files that can be altered.

• Thanks 1

Probably because LO acknowledged that the current engine is a big mess and they allowed anybody to fiddle with the settings, making the field even more uneven, in the hope that people will not enrage from that decision until Unreal Engine 3.5 comes out.

I am very sad by this decision, but it is what it is.

9 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

So honestly who cares what any of us think?

Seeing how LO handled RIOT and Shotguns, they certainly don't.

16 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Many players do not experience the stutters and drops in frames that I do. 

Are they cheating too?

And if not, how am I cheating by giving myself the same experience? 

(This is a silly argument at this point. LOs stance on the matter is clear. Advanced launcher and configs are not cheating. So honestly who cares what any of us think?)

Wooden pc much?

18 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Wooden pc much?

he literally gave his specs and benchmarks in this thread, try reading

13 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

he literally gave his specs and benchmarks in this thread, try reading

You so missed that old patootie joke

I'm with CookiePuss on this one in regards to the fog.  Removing fog really doesn't give any special advantage, just makes the game more playable for those on a lesser rig.  If you already get an awesome and consistent frame rate then removing fog won't help you, but if you're on a rig that APB just doesn't like, like Cookie's or mine, then it will help put your performance at the same level as the people with rigs that wouldn't get a benefit from removing fog.  For anyone that seems to think fog is an important aspect of game play, players are beyond the render distance by the time fog is even somewhat noticeable, so it doesn't make seeing enemies easier at all.  Back in the day when we had randomly occurring overcast days it would have, but not anymore.

It also seems to get rid of that gross blue filter.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Like 1

Heyo, config user here, I pretty much have to use them cause of my framerate shown in my signature below! Anyways, I personally don't think using configs is cheating, there are certain things that, yeah, shouldn't be allowed, like the removal of smoke produced by grenades and explosions produced by cars(using these particular settings puts you at a disadvantage anyways since you can't really see what the hell's hitting you, but there are situations where it helps you) Others have said the presence of shadows is detrimental because darkness makes it hard to see your opponent, though really, as long as that red name's up, you know where to position your crosshair. Not to mention, there's nothing really stopping anyone from using configs besides the fact that you refuse to use it. Maybe in the future, if we don't get these options in-game until the engine update(soon tm) The text edits that are not allowed by Matt can be scanned for by the Anti-Cheat or something, dunno much about anti-cheats, but I'm pre sure if set to do so, it can scan for a file mismatch.

nice to read . you know how to discuss problems constructively when you want to .

Anything that gives an advantage, no matter how small, no matter how meaningful said advantage is between various skill levels, is a cheat in my book.  People wouldn't fight over this or be so passionate about it if they didn't feel like they benefit in some way.

That said, It's up to the developer to set the guidelines and restrict what they don't want edited.  There should be no gray area here, this is one of those things that MUST be black and white imo.  An example of a double-standard gray area is hardware macros VS software.

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 1:09 PM, BrandonBranderson said:

I'm with CookiePuss on this one in regards to the fog.  Removing fog really doesn't give any special advantage, just makes the game more playable for those on a lesser rig.  If you already get an awesome and consistent frame rate then removing fog won't help you, but if you're on a rig that APB just doesn't like, like Cookie's or mine, then it will help put your performance at the same level as the people with rigs that wouldn't get a benefit from removing fog.  For anyone that seems to think fog is an important aspect of game play, players are beyond the render distance by the time fog is even somewhat noticeable, so it doesn't make seeing enemies easier at all.  Back in the day when we had randomly occurring overcast days it would have, but not anymore.

It also seems to get rid of that gross blue filter.

This

No. Something that is allowed can not by definition be labeled cheating.

Also, how is it unfair if is it allowed and anyone can do it? Maybe it shouldn't be allowed, yeah, but it is.

If there was color blind mode for nametags, killfeed and all of that, I wouldn't be messing around so much with the shaders.

Last couple of days I edited the shaders to increase visibility of nametags through changing colors/lighting and sky because my color blindness can with bright backgrounds make it harder for me to determine if the nametags are red or green. So I guess I'm cheating according to 59% of the voters.

Edited by SilverCrow