Thial

A message to Matt Scott (wall of text)

5 hours ago, Thial said:

You can get rid of every single piece of "spyware".

It's 2019. There are ways to disable whatever you want. 

From what I've been reading the spyware reinstalls itself everytime there's an update....

et2a :

Even if you can rid yourself of the pesky spyware it still doesn't address the issue of future monetisation.

At this point I no longer trust M$ or indeed any major corporation in the tech industry.

Edited by TheDogCatcher

5 hours ago, TheDogCatcher said:

From what I've been reading the spyware reinstalls itself everytime there's an update....

et2a :

Even if you can rid yourself of the pesky spyware it still doesn't address the issue of future monetisation.

At this point I no longer trust M$ or indeed any major corporation in the tech industry.

You do realize that windows updates are divided into smaller packages and you can literally uninstall specific features from updates ?

You can also simply disable automatic updates and install them manually.

There is no way that things are installing themselves on their own outside of windows update service unless you have software which has automatic updates.

Even if there will be monetization in the future (there never might be btw since it's just all speculations) it will be most likely about the app store or you might have ads on your pc which you will be able to disable anyway either by killing some service or making a change in the registry.

It's not like they will make you pay $1 to open the start menu.

What version of Win10 do you have ?

From what I've read you only get control over what updeates to install and when if you have the enterprise edition.

9 minutes ago, TheDogCatcher said:

What version of Win10 do you have ?

From what I've read you only get control over what updeates to install and when if you have the enterprise edition.

I'm using Home and I cannot check what you are asking because I'm not at home.

You can block certain updates from installing by using a little tool made by microsoft if you don't want some specific thing on your PC.

You can also display all of the updates which are installed on your system and uninstall specific ones.

I don't think you are able to select which updates are being installed by automated updates since as the name suggests they are automated.

On 6/27/2019 at 12:05 AM, Thial said:

I don't want to hate but I work as a software engineer and from my perspective it's really strange how slowly the development is progressing.

Maybe they should hire you

8 hours ago, Thial said:

I'm using Home and I cannot check what you are asking because I'm not at home.

You can block certain updates from installing by using a little tool made by microsoft if you don't want some specific thing on your PC.

You can also display all of the updates which are installed on your system and uninstall specific ones.

I don't think you are able to select which updates are being installed by automated updates since as the name suggests they are automated.

Microsoft will sue absolutely all users of Windows 10 in Russia for disabling auto-update

The Windows 10 operating system is endowed with hundreds of different functions and features, which can sometimes be very difficult to figure out. One of the main problems of this OS is the forced download of all updates and their subsequent installation on the computer. Even if the user manually disables this feature in the settings, then after the reboot, it will turn on again, that is, the updates will start downloading to the built-in memory and then automatically installed. It infuriates so many.

One of the citizens of Russia on the official Microsoft forum asked a question on how to completely disable the “Automatic Update” function, which he absolutely doesn’t need because of only 32 GB of internal memory, most of which are occupied by the Windows 10 operating system. Official moderator Community, that is, an employee of the American corporation, said that it is impossible to do this categorically, because of this, Microsoft can go to court.

Moderator with the nickname Grand_Ross, answering the question of the user kochurovaleksandr, reported that disabling the automatic update function in the Windows 10 operating system is a direct violation of two Russian laws at once - articles 1229 and 1235 of the Federal Law 230-FZ “Civil Code of the Russian Federation”. An employee of Microsoft claims that the compulsory refusal of auto-updates is qualified by the legislation of the Russian Federation as an illegal use of software, with all the legal consequences that this implies.

In other words, Microsoft will sue absolutely all users of Windows 10 in Russia for disabling auto-update. The official officer argues that for this you can incur not only administrative, but also criminal liability, which is provided for by the current legislation of the Russian Federation. The moderator of Geks52 added the information of his colleague, adding that before using the tenth “Windows”, the user agrees to the license agreement, the eighth paragraph of which clearly states the following:

By accepting the terms of this agreement, you consent to receive automatic updates of this type without any further notice.

That is why it is absolutely impossible to disable the auto-update of the Windows 10 operating system, since this is prohibited by the license agreement. All those users who do this automatically become violators of two Russian laws at once. A Microsoft spokesman noted that the only way to stop receiving auto-updates is to stop using Windows 10.

Source: Microsoft Forum

https://akket.com/windows/79655-microsoft-zasudit-absolyutno-vseh-polzovatelej-windows-10-v-rossii-za-otklyuchenie-avtoobnovleniya.html

Thial , your legislation of your country what that Special ?

we certainly all know what's wrong with APB, but very few people know what's right for apb.

19 hours ago, WorldDominator said:

Maybe they should hire you

No thank you. I'm happy with my current job.

Merged.

19 hours ago, Yood said:

Microsoft will sue absolutely all users of Windows 10 in Russia for disabling auto-update

The Windows 10 operating system is endowed with hundreds of different functions and features, which can sometimes be very difficult to figure out. One of the main problems of this OS is the forced download of all updates and their subsequent installation on the computer. Even if the user manually disables this feature in the settings, then after the reboot, it will turn on again, that is, the updates will start downloading to the built-in memory and then automatically installed. It infuriates so many.

One of the citizens of Russia on the official Microsoft forum asked a question on how to completely disable the “Automatic Update” function, which he absolutely doesn’t need because of only 32 GB of internal memory, most of which are occupied by the Windows 10 operating system. Official moderator Community, that is, an employee of the American corporation, said that it is impossible to do this categorically, because of this, Microsoft can go to court.

Moderator with the nickname Grand_Ross, answering the question of the user kochurovaleksandr, reported that disabling the automatic update function in the Windows 10 operating system is a direct violation of two Russian laws at once - articles 1229 and 1235 of the Federal Law 230-FZ “Civil Code of the Russian Federation”. An employee of Microsoft claims that the compulsory refusal of auto-updates is qualified by the legislation of the Russian Federation as an illegal use of software, with all the legal consequences that this implies.

In other words, Microsoft will sue absolutely all users of Windows 10 in Russia for disabling auto-update. The official officer argues that for this you can incur not only administrative, but also criminal liability, which is provided for by the current legislation of the Russian Federation. The moderator of Geks52 added the information of his colleague, adding that before using the tenth “Windows”, the user agrees to the license agreement, the eighth paragraph of which clearly states the following:

By accepting the terms of this agreement, you consent to receive automatic updates of this type without any further notice.

That is why it is absolutely impossible to disable the auto-update of the Windows 10 operating system, since this is prohibited by the license agreement. All those users who do this automatically become violators of two Russian laws at once. A Microsoft spokesman noted that the only way to stop receiving auto-updates is to stop using Windows 10.

Source: Microsoft Forum

https://akket.com/windows/79655-microsoft-zasudit-absolyutno-vseh-polzovatelej-windows-10-v-rossii-za-otklyuchenie-avtoobnovleniya.html

Thial , your legislation of your country what that Special ?

I don't see how agreeing to receiving automatic updates without further notice (meaning they simply won't notify you) would result in getting sued upon disabling them.

If the ToS don't directly state that disabling the automatic updates will result in a legal action against the user then they can't touch anyone.

And even if an entry like that would exist then it would infringe on your basic human rights since Microsoft would be enforcing their updates onto you which would result in sort of a master-slave dynamic so if they would sue you it would backfire at them.

That's why either it's a lie, a joke or some sjw microsoft employee who will or already got fired or microsoft trying to scare users so they can install spyware on their PCs (which is also criminal and which would backfire at microsoft if that's the case).

14 minutes ago, Thial said:

I don't see how agreeing to receiving automatic updates without further notice (meaning they simply won't notify you) would result in getting sued upon disabling them.

If the ToS don't directly state that disabling the automatic updates will result in a legal action against the user then they can't touch anyone.

And even if an entry like that would exist then it would infringe on your basic human rights since Microsoft would be enforcing their updates onto you which would result in sort of a master-slave dynamic so if they would sue you it would backfire at them.

That's why either it's a lie, a joke or some sjw microsoft employee who will or already got fired or microsoft trying to scare users so they can install spyware on their PCs (which is also criminal and which would backfire at microsoft if that's the case).

Pirated SOFTWARE in Russia and the world Unlicensed software

http://www.tadviser.ru/index.php/Статья:Пиратское_ПО_в_России_и_мире_(Нелицензионное_ПО)

The lack of legal software — not evidence of piracy
Microsoft was not allowed to send bailiffs to Russian companies where the number of purchased programs does not match the number of employees

https://iz.ru/news/682643

Responsibility for the use of unlicensed SOFTWARE

http://iterbi.ru/blog/responsibility_unlicensed_software.html

when you purchase a licensed version, you must receive updates . if you don't do it, it's your responsibility .

Edited by Yood

3 minutes ago, Yood said:

Pirated SOFTWARE in Russia and the world Unlicensed software

http://www.tadviser.ru/index.php/Статья:Пиратское_ПО_в_России_и_мире_(Нелицензионное_ПО)

The lack of legal software — not evidence of piracy
Microsoft was not allowed to send bailiffs to Russian companies where the number of purchased programs does not match the number of employees

https://iz.ru/news/682643

Responsibility for the use of unlicensed SOFTWARE

http://iterbi.ru/blog/responsibility_unlicensed_software.html

when you purchase a licensed version, you must receive updates . if you don't do it, it's your responsibility .

If people are using Windows illegally then it's a different story but if they actually own legal licenses then Microsoft won't be able to do anything to them in a 100 years.

They can't sue you for the way you are using their software.

It's as if they would add a large red button on your desktop and say that they will sue you if you will press it.

Edited by Thial

Just now, Thial said:

If people are using Windows illegally then it's a different story but if they actually own legal licenses then Microsoft won't be able to do anything to them in a 100 years.

They can't sue you for the way you are using their software.

It's as if they would add a large red button on your desktop and say that they will sue you if you will press it.

when you purchase a licensed version, you must receive updates . if you don't do it, it's your responsibility .

1 minute ago, Yood said:

when you purchase a licensed version, you must receive updates . if you don't do it, it's your responsibility .

They can't enforce that on you unless it's directly stated in the terms of service that "upon disabling automatic updates legal action will be taken against the user".

And if something like that was added in the terms of service then their software in itself would become illegal because it would infringe on your human rights since it would be a form of slavery.

Just now, Thial said:

They can't enforce that on you unless it's directly stated in the terms of service that "upon disabling automatic updates legal action will be taken against the user".

And if something like that was added in the terms of service then their software in itself would become illegal because it would infringe on your human rights since it would be a form of slavery.

when you download the game you are given the rules . it does not matter whether you read them or not . if you break them you will be punished .

the only option in your case is to install system updates manually , at the right time . to download updates did not interfere with the game .

you Thial  have the right to do whatever you want .

Edited by Yood

2 minutes ago, Yood said:

when you download the game you are given the rules . it does not matter whether you read them or not . if you break them you will be punished .

the only option in your case is to install system updates manually , at the right time . to download updates did not interfere with the game .

Yes it's fine if the rules were there from the start.

Then you simply don't use something with stupid rules.

Right now Microsoft has no rule in their ToS which states that you are not allowed to disable automated updates or legal action will be taken against you.

They would have to add it.

You already own the license for the software. You can use it however the hell you want as long as it doesn't break actual laws.

They can be saying whatever they want.

They can't force you out of sudden to use their software in a certain way under a threat of causing you harm.

That's illegal.

Only the initial agreement that you have "signed" matters.

Everything that they will add / remove / modify doesn't matter because you didn't "sign" it.

That's why it's some manufactured lie or a clickbait imo.

Additionally Microsoft would be ruined if something like this surfaced that you can't disable the updates or they will sue you.

I really doubt that they would be so stupid to risk something like that.

Just now, Thial said:

Yes it's fine if the rules were there from the start.

Then you simply don't use something with stupid rules.

Right now Microsoft has no rule in their ToS which states that you are not allowed to disable automated updates or legal action will be taken against you.

They would have to add it.

You already own the license for the software. You can use it however the hell you want as long as it doesn't break actual laws.

They can be saying whatever they want.

They can't force you out of sudden to use their software in a certain way under a threat of causing you harm.

That's illegal.

Only the initial agreement that you have "signed" matters.

Everything that they will add / remove / modify doesn't matter because you didn't "sign" it.

That's why it's some manufactured lie or a clickbait imo.

Additionally Microsoft would be ruined if something like this surfaced that you can't disable the updates or they will sue you.

I really doubt that they would be so stupid to risk something like that.

don't take my time . you Thial  have the right to do whatever you want .

On 6/28/2019 at 3:20 AM, TheDogCatcher said:

et2a :

you'll be shocked to know that canonical is a 65.7m corporation and is founder of the ubuntu foundation, that suse makes 300m/yr, red hat 2.4b...

okay, okay, there is debian.

and obviously they are open source. but still. those are quite big companies in the tech industry i'd say.

windows is already monetised. they have candy crush advertisements, lol. there's also onedrive subscriptions, office subscriptions (obviously not directly windows, but those are being advertised in there)... they probably won't make updates subscription based or anything like that, that'd be basically how mac os was back then - and as you can see, that wasn't sustainable.

there is no justifiable concern that windows will get any further form of monetization.

microsoft is also moving towards open source projects (bot framework, visual studio code,...) and they've been a long time funder of open source projects (also some linux ones, plus you can even have embedded linux systems (no, not virtual machines) in windows...)

windows will probably never become oss but microsoft is actually a quite decent company. of course they work with intelligence agencies, collect data and use it to their advantage though. in comparison, there are way much more "evil" ones though.

but you do you. enjoy linux. i couldn't bear to use it from day to day for personal stuff although it has stuff going for it.

using windows 7 these days is pretty ridiculous though and there is no room to make complaints if someone or some company doesn't support a 10 year old os (hey, 22 days away from the anniversary!) - especially not a game studio/publisher that is getting funding from microsoft, lol - or a small one like LO.

Edited by neophobia