MattScott

June 2019 - Engine Upgrade progress (screenshots & video)

APB reskin

also could you please improve the UI and hud better?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 5:08 PM, Revoluzzer said:

Got a source for those UE4 claims? A complete rebuilt (or re-imagining) is exactly what APB needs. Most resources should be spent on that project, as far as I'm concerned.

Matt mentioned it on the old forums (which seem to be down as of right now) a little after they took over.  He also talked about it a bit when him and Lixil talked to the Nekrova team (The ones making the Pheonix Project) on Discord and I was in the call at the time.  So whether or not you want to trust me as a source unfortunately that's the best I can provide at the moment.  He referred to it as "APB2" but said it's not to be confused as a sequel, it's just a ground up rebuild.  It's just easier to call it that.  I don't know if he's mentioned it on these new forums at all.  And as Glaciers said he did say it would be years until it's done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrandonBranderson said:

Matt mentioned it on the old forums (which seem to be down as of right now) a little after they took over.  He also talked about it a bit when him and Lixil talked to the Nekrova team (The ones making the Pheonix Project) on Discord and I was in the call at the time.  So whether or not you want to trust me as a source unfortunately that's the best I can provide at the moment.  He referred to it as "APB2" but said it's not to be confused as a sequel, it's just a ground up rebuild.  It's just easier to call it that.  I don't know if he's mentioned it on these new forums at all.  And as Glaciers said he did say it would be years until it's done.

Wonder what they talked about.  Probably legal stuff.  Either way as was said before, APB on UE4 is happening and is quite a ways off.  Probably see quite a few recycled assets but i would guess it should be more inline with plans RTW had than current APB.

14 hours ago, SkittyM said:

Wonder what they talked about.  Probably legal stuff.

Yes, it was legal stuff for a while, mostly making sure that Phoenix wasn't using stolen APB assets anymore, but after that was all taken care of they had a more fun conversation for a while, mostly talking about the future of both games.  Both sides left happy.  Matt knowing that they weren't going to have to deal with any legal trouble and the Phoenix team (Made mostly of APB players) knowing that APB is finally in good hands.  Matt mostly just wanted to make sure the stolen assets weren't being used anymore since he knew that the project originally was supposed to be a remake of APB.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:46 AM, Glaciers said:

its been stated that ue4 is years off at best iirc, putting everything towards that would likely end up with the current game dying and the new ue4 version getting little to no interest whenever it finally released

The game is dying anyway, as far as I'm concerned. If it still yields them a net profit they should keep it alive by all means, though.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:22 AM, BrandonBranderson said:

Given you aren't the only person who is "in the know" on this remake/reboot I have no reason to distrust you (anymore than anyone else, at least 😉 ). Shame that it is still years away.

Is the lighting on police cars any bit improved? If so, can we see a screenshot or 5-10 second teaser of it?

The current state of emergency lighting on enforcer cars is pretty garbage.

Edited by Niedosik
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niedosik said:

Is the lighting on police cars any bit improved? If so, can we see a screenshot or 5-10 second teaser of it? The current state of emergency lighting on enforcer cars is pretty garbage.

I would also like to know if lightbars have been improved to any significant degree. It's one of the defining traits of the Enforcer faction, and a big draw for customization.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Niedosik said:

Is the lighting on police cars any bit improved? If so, can we see a screenshot or 5-10 second teaser of it?

The current state of emergency lighting on enforcer cars is pretty garbage.

40 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

I would also like to know if lightbars have been improved to any significant degree. It's one of the defining traits of the Enforcer faction, and a big draw for customization.

Not sure why those would change at all.  It's possible that if LO furthers Dynamic Lighting that it might but majority of stuff is a direct port from LIVE, as is.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, Deadliest said:

APB reskin

also could you please improve the UI and hud better?

I really hope Scaleform got sorted out

That doo-doo was a painful "fix" to UI

Also I would like to know if the turn signals are clearly visible to others.

It clearly must be the main reason why we have so many car accidents!

• Like 1

Someome please tell me Vegas wheelies still exist. I can't lose my favorite thing ever.

17 minutes ago, IROCkiller said:

Someome please tell me Vegas wheelies still exist. I can't lose my favorite thing ever.

SPCTs said that the Vegas doesn't do wheelies anymore.  This needs fixed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

SPCTs said that the Vegas doesn't do wheelies anymore.  This needs fixed.

I'm using my one time use token to request that wheelies are added back into the game.

Honestly, Vegas wheelies were one of my first motivations in this game. Had to get to the rank to use nitrous.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IROCkiller said:

I'm using my one time use token to request that wheelies are added back into the game.

Honestly, Vegas wheelies were one of my first motivations in this game. Had to get to the rank to use nitrous.

removing weelies is a very very bad move. APB has always had it and it must remain.

• Like 3

Wheelies add a lot to the "wow factor" for a new player too.  "Holy Shit!" is the reaction I always get from new players when I show them the Vegas doing a wheelie for the first time.  One time, years ago as soon as one friend saw their first wheelie they immediately went and bought the G20 Thornicator on Armas.  Wheelies need to remain in the game, not only because they're fun but they also help a little with drawing in new players if they see some crazy shit happening right from the get go.  Barely any other games have vehicle physics like APB's (and for good reason) but that's one of the little things that adds a bit of charm to the game.  What other game can you be witnessing a gun fight in the middle of a street between decked out SWAT guys and cat girls, then out of nowhere a muscle car uses an ambulance as a ramp to jump over the gunfight while performing a backflip, taking out 10+ pedestrians upon landing and exploding on impact with a phone kiosk?  That's pretty much an APB exclusive situation.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 4:30 PM, BrandonBranderson said:

Wheelies add a lot to the "wow factor" for a new player too.  "Holy Shit!" is the reaction I always get from new players when I show them the Vegas doing a wheelie for the first time.  One time, years ago as soon as one friend saw their first wheelie they immediately went and bought the G20 Thornicator on Armas.  Wheelies need to remain in the game, not only because they're fun but they also help a little with drawing in new players if they see some crazy shit happening right from the get go.  Barely any other games have vehicle physics like APB's (and for good reason) but that's one of the little things that adds a bit of charm to the game.  What other game can you be witnessing a gun fight in the middle of a street between decked out SWAT guys and cat girls, then out of nowhere a muscle car uses an ambulance as a ramp to jump over the gunfight while performing a backflip, taking out 10+ pedestrians upon landing and exploding on impact with a phone kiosk?  That's pretty much an APB exclusive situation.

[sarcasm]No, we need to make APB boring and uninspired.[/sarcasm]

Edited by Kewlin
  • Like 2

Let the servers go over 30 tps. The wheelies will come back.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:08 PM, Revoluzzer said:

APB will still be an old game after the engine upgrade, no doubt about it. And "fixing" everything else that is wrong with it will easily take another couple years, if it is possible at all.

[LATE REPLY, LEAVE ME ALONE. But this was a great response so I wanted to necro a bit for it]

This is pretty much where I was thinking it would go, too. Honestly I don't think anyone was thinking otherwise though, so I don't even know why I even posed the original question. Hope, I suppose. 

Thanks for the food for thought, though.

ok so please someone remind Matt about old login screen, please

5 hours ago, Rico2k said:

ok so please someone remind Matt about old login screen, please

He already knows and has expressed interest in bringing it back.  There's more important things happening however.

Does engine upgrade include updating HUD btw. This shit is the main reason APB feels choppy even on decent fps, plus it takes like 30fps on its own for good measure. I just played some fight club and it's insane how much more playable game gets once you turn off the HUD. Excluding the fact that I don't know who to shoot at anymore of course.

Edited by Uke