MattScott

June 2019 - Engine Upgrade progress (screenshots & video)

On 7/6/2019 at 12:19 AM, damn2112 said:

Why the hell are people so obsessed with graphics? They are acting like its gonna make the game better than it currently is. People being concerned about a games graphics instead of how it plays. Its exactly why most AAA games come out shit these days.

What if i play games for the looks only? Apb used to look amazing until g1 decided to crap on it to be able to add more stuff, and more not allways equals to better.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SkittyM said:

I don't know how it makes the game look worse when it actually cleans up the jaggies a lot.

Reveal hidden contents

AA Off
Sc0AQWo.png

AA on 8x

EX7xqKD.png

The only problem with it is that it's not really optimized, but on my hardware (x2 1070/R7 1800X) the impact isn't noticeable.  Does vary on setup.  The only OTHER issue it creates is random green artifacts on NPC edges.  Otherwise the feature does work and does what its supposed to do, its just really old and dated.  Don't think games even use 8x AA anymore, usually jumps to either Nvidia's or AMD's forms of AA after 4x.

Beside the green outlines, it creates black halos IIRC and really doesn't anti-alias that well, so I personally consider it basically worthless.

On 7/4/2019 at 12:38 PM, _chain said:

oh hey look. it finally looks like an old ps3 game. 

Not enough brown and grey and the bloom and the vignette isn't harsh enough.  Now THIS is what an old PS3 game would look like.

Lets just be happy it didn't turn out looking like THAT.  Those visuals are good for a trailer but would be fucking terrible to deal with when actually trying to play.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

Not enough brown and grey and the bloom and the vignette isn't harsh enough.  Now THIS is what an old PS3 game would look like.

Lets just be happy it didn't turn out looking like THAT.  Those visuals are good for a trailer but would be fucking terrible to deal with when actually trying to play.

Oh man i remember those videos.  Result of some art student who doesn't understand gameplay.  good times.

• Like 1

I think it looks nice enough tbh plus one perk might be that system requirements won't change too much.

Wasn't a big portion of the upgrade meant to give the devs better options with the game? Maybe they can even add something like a HD(?) client down the road, who knows.

Edited by Jazeker
=)

On 7/9/2019 at 4:53 PM, BrandonBranderson said:

ah the good old days..

On 6/28/2019 at 5:45 PM, Shini said:

IAqu4bb.jpg

I see that youre taking pictures outside of restrooms now Doc, I like it!

Also, how do we know this isnt just the console version? :I

40 minutes ago, a Pair of Socks said:

I see that youre taking pictures outside of restrooms now Doc, I like it!

Also, how do we know this isnt just the console version? :I

The console version's post processing looks pretty different, and textures aren't just solid colors 🙂

Edited by BrandonBranderson

I'm am glad to see progress. This brings me a lot of joy. Also, I would like to recommend updating textures after UE4, not everything instantly but at least several things per week. I wouldn't suggest doing it in UE3.5 as that would just make it more of a pain in the patootie transfer new textures and old if you will be doing the both and make it more work but yea the game would be great with new textures.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:03 AM, MattScott said:

For PC, everything is now done except for migrating Unreal package content.

To give specifics, there are 1498 packages used in the game:

• 919 regular packages
  • 537 map packages including dynamic layers to action districts for events and missions

So far we have converted about ~84% of them, with the following packages remaining to be completed:

• 212 regular packages
  • 24 map packages

That leaves 249 packages to migrate, but these are all somewhat more difficult.

So 84% done for 13 months.The rest 16% - for 2-2.5 months?Lets say 3.They post this 1 month ago..so engine upgrade must be done in september 🤔

29 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

So 84% done for 13 months.The rest 16% - for 2-2.5 months?Lets say 3.They post this 1 month ago..so engine upgrade must be done in september 🤔

Too bad game development is never linear. They could have literally everything done except for one thing and that one thing could hold them up for months by itself

On 7/9/2019 at 11:53 AM, BrandonBranderson said:

That's a difference of opinion obviously, because if the game look and played like that right now, i will play all day everyday. I am curious who made those videos, because whoever did it, sure are a better dev than LO team/Gamerfirst.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:14 PM, SkittyM said:

Oh man i remember those videos.  Result of some art student who doesn't understand gameplay.  good times.

These were concept proposals made during APB beta back in RTW days, by lead of UI design.

18 minutes ago, LAPDAlonso said:

That's a difference of opinion obviously, because if the game look and played like that right now, i will play all day everyday. I am curious who made those videos, because whoever did it, sure are a better dev than LO team/Gamerfirst.

24 minutes ago, LAPDAlonso said:

i doubt they're really better devs seeing as that’s all shitty post processing effects over pre-recorded video

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what happens when people have no idea what is involved in getting 3.5 ready.

The amount of work LO is putting in is immense.

The amount of sacrifice the employees of LO are making are also just as huge.

I really wish you guys could see what they are doing, but I understand LO not having the time to educate you.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:59 AM, SkittyM said:

Reloaded never touched AA.

APB didn't have proper AA because it didn't exist in the original engine version, I believe. The current experimental implementation was built by Realtime Worlds, iirc.

Replacing the engine, however, should allow AA, since it's a staple feature of modern engines, no?

On 6/30/2019 at 2:24 AM, BrandonBranderson said:

That's what they're doing with UE4.  They have a separate team in Australia rebuilding the game from the ground up in UE4.  Pretty much the only things getting reused are art assets if I understood what Matt said correctly.

On 6/30/2019 at 5:18 PM, SkittyM said:

That's a question for UE4.  Pretty much everything is intended to be a direct port between UE3 and UE3.5 while UE4 is slated to be a complete rebuild.

Got a source for those UE4 claims? A complete rebuilt (or re-imagining) is exactly what APB needs. Most resources should be spent on that project, as far as I'm concerned.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:27 PM, notMateo said:

What I really want to know is how this engine update is going to affect the future of the game. Overtime, I think APB's problems have grown to not only include the obvious culprits such as bad performance, cheaters, and balance, but now envelop things like a dated gameplay experience, very bad presentation, and a dwindling niche community. What I mean by this is that APB isn't the fresh chicken it used to be, and I don't know how much the engine update is going to alleviate this.

APB will still be an old game after the engine upgrade, no doubt about it. And "fixing" everything else that is wrong with it will easily take another couple years, if it is possible at all.

57 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

This is what happens when people have no idea what is involved in getting 3.5 ready.

The amount of work LO is putting in is immense.

The amount of sacrifice the employees of LO are making are also just as huge.

I really wish you guys could see what they are doing, but I understand LO not having the time to educate you.

Who are you actually referencing here BTW?

9 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Who are you actually referencing here BTW?

Selali and his team. The hours they are putting in are probably unhealthy. The lack of sleep certainly is.

I should also mention how important this game and its survival is to them.

The poor bastards are really giving it their all.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Selali and his team. The hours they are putting in are probably unhealthy. The lack of sleep certainly is.

I should also mention how important this game and its survival is to them.

The poor bastards are really giving it their all.

No, I mean on the forums in this thread. Who are the people who don't realize this that you were referencing?

To be clear, I'm not trying to be an pleasant fellow if it sounds like that.

Edited by Kewlin

5 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

No, I mean on the forums in this thread. Who are the people who don't realize this that you were referencing?

To be clear, I'm not trying to be an pleasant fellow if it sounds like that.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Im not sure I can call people out... mods have been on my patootie lately. But for what its worth, I certainly do not mean you.

But anyone who is in the "hurr durr LO is doing nothing" crowd is the target of my post.

Edit: we cant say the american version of arse but we can say fuck???

Edited by CookiePuss

31 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Oh, I see what you mean.

Im not sure I can call people out... mods have been on my patootie lately. But for what its worth, I certainly do not mean you.

But anyone who is in the "hurr durr LO is doing nothing" crowd is the target of my post.

Edit: we cant say the american version of arse but we can say fuck???

Fair, no need to get you forum banned, even if that would be nice.   😜

6 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

even if that would be nice.   😜

oof, thats a hard truth right there

2 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

Got a source for those UE4 claims? A complete rebuilt (or re-imagining) is exactly what APB needs. Most resources should be spent on that project, as far as I'm concerned.

its been stated that ue4 is years off at best iirc, putting everything towards that would likely end up with the current game dying and the new ue4 version getting little to no interest whenever it finally released