MattScott

June 2019 - Engine Upgrade progress (screenshots & video)

1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Yeah, especially after seeing that video I am going to be honest and say it looks worse than live.

You forgot that it's an engine upgrade and not a graphics update.

Nobody promised that it would look better than live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Yeah, especially after seeing that video I am going to be honest and say it looks worse than live.

Downvote me all you want.

Are you replying me?

11 minutes ago, Xaix said:

Are you replying me?

No? Did I quote you?

36 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

You forgot that it's an engine upgrade and not a graphics update.

Nobody promised that it would look better than live.

That is besides the point. Even though it has been touted as graphical upgrades along with it, regardless of whether that is intended or not it is still an aesthetic downgrade from live.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

No? Did I quote you?

That is besides the point. Even though it has been touted as graphical upgrades along with it, regardless of whether that is intended or not it is still an aesthetic downgrade from live.

No, sorry!

To hell haters. Graphics .. graphics .. graphics .. 👀
We need a balance of weapons, teams and anti-cheat (fix old bugs). I love this game. For me, it is already more than just a game. I and many believe in LO. They will justify our hopes with time. (Yes, sometimes it is difficult to wait when the old owners of the game fed you with promises of 4+ years)

I would test low hardware from 2010. Basis should be sample from minimal or/and recommend minimal requirements built PCs from 2010.

Test how it works, try to go from there to "playable" rate (by uping hardware little by little) so we get idea what next minimal requirements are Matt.

Going straight from high floor doesn't help if game gonna run like shit. You might drive away very big portion of population if EU 3.5 drops and it might be awfully unstable for many players with anything but Ryzen CPUs and MSI GPUs.

Edited by Mitne

55 minutes ago, Mitne said:

I would test low hardware from 2010. Basis should be sample from minimal or/and recommend minimal requirements built PCs from 2010.

Test how it works, try to go from there to "playable" rate (by uping hardware little by little) so we get idea what next minimal requirements are Matt.

Going straight from high floor doesn't help if game gonna run like shit. You might drive away very big portion of population if EU 3.5 drops and it might be awfully unstable for many players with anything but Ryzen CPUs and MSI GPUs.

I don't think the minimum requirements that Reloaded actually has listed will change aside from requiring DX11.  No idea what happened with my Athlon x2 and Nvidia 6150 SE either, kinda curious.

6 minutes ago, SkittyM said:

I don't think the minimum requirements that Reloaded actually has listed will change aside from requiring DX11.  No idea what happened with my Athlon x2 and Nvidia 6150 SE either, kinda curious. 

DX11? Really? RIP ._.'

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Well, I mean you're one of the very few who like the current, gross cold look of the game more than when it was actually warm and pretty.  

8 minutes ago, LordeOfficial said:

DX11? Really? RIP ._.'

DX11 is rather old by today's standards.  Shipped with Win 7 back in 09.  Think most hardware from 2010-2011 and later shouldn't have an issue with this.

1 minute ago, SkittyM said:

DX11 is rather old by today's standards.  Shipped with Win 7 back in 09.  Think most hardware from 2010-2011 and later shouldn't have an issue with this.

I particulary hate this version. I find it very heavy (desnecessary), has many video cards that end up still bugging with this version. Well, whatever, if it really works, congratulations.

1 hour ago, Mitne said:

Okay, so we've been suffering by virtue of the fact that the game's core architecture is a decade old and the EU is supposed to address this and give the developers a modern base to work from, but we should test it on hardware that was shit when the game was in closed beta 9 years ago?

Edited by MrChan

Sorry for double-post.

Exemple:

I play GTA V and Saints Row Iv with DX11

But now when I go to Space Engineers it already gives DX error, Many games that emigrate from DX always gives problem video cards,  but I'm hoping that right and do not let the game heavier than it already is. 😟

3 minutes ago, LordeOfficial said:

Sorry for double-post.

Exemple:

I play GTA V and Saints Row Iv with DX11

But now when I go to Space Engineers it already gives DX error, Many games that emigrate from DX always gives problem video cards,  but I'm hoping that right and do not let the game heavier than it already is. 😟

Never had an issue with any version of DX but as far as i know, 3.5 uses few DX11 features on its own.  Honestly just have to wait and see, nothing is done and further testing is needed.

59 minutes ago, SkittyM said:

Never had an issue with any version of DX but as far as i know, 3.5 uses few DX11 features on its own.  Honestly just have to wait and see, nothing is done and further testing is needed.

Yes, just testing to see the result 😁.  Until then I'll be anxious to test.

(Sorry again double-post, I can not edit my previous message)
Well, I forgot one thing, could I release a video of a gameplay? For us to see how it is the dirigibility, movements and rest?

Woah engine was real... cant wait to get a new monitor to properly watch vid and pics.

7 hours ago, Xaix said:

Is it just impression or the difference between the old engine and the new one, is that it's just more light on buildings? Like, if you see the same image side by side, you can clearly see the new engine is just brighter then the old one.

Lighting is still being tweaked and the color pallet of buildings is brighter to begin with, most buildings on live currently have the same washed out greyish color, 3.5 changed a lot of these buildings (as you can see in the screenshot) to be more vibrant and move away from the washed out color scheme. 

If you have any suggestions as to what nights should look like then please do not hesitate to make them! 

Edited by Frosi
  • Like 1

Looking good, shadows and that pop-in need to be looked at though. I'm excited for this.

So, if SPCT are allowed to answer questions I'd like to ask one: How is the resolution of decals and symbols on cars and clothes? Currently a curve results in spme pretty gnarly pixellation. 

10 minutes ago, IROCkiller said:

Looking good, shadows and that pop-in need to be looked at though. I'm excited for this.

So, if SPCT are allowed to answer questions I'd like to ask one: How is the resolution of decals and symbols on cars and clothes? Currently a curve results in spme pretty gnarly pixellation. 

It would be the same as it is now since everything is basically straight ported in from LIVE.  Might change after 3.5 goes live though, never know.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SkittyM said:

It would be the same as it is now since everything is basically straight ported in from LIVE.  Might change after 3.5 goes live though, never know.

Thanks for the answer. I hope the quality sees a bump, it'd be nice.

10 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

With the increasing number of people turning settings down to potato graphics, so they can play the game without stuttering, I'd say it's a major upgrade...

20 hours ago, SilverCrow said:

I just noticed that the OM symbol sign (seen at 0:58 in the video) is upside down.

XGtxnPp.jpg

Dunno if anyone mentioned this, but uh, it's upside down in the live version as well, so blame RTW or RP lol
78cbf7a92c.png

3 hours ago, Acornie said:

Dunno if anyone mentioned this, but uh, it's upside down in the live version as well, so blame RTW or RP lol
78cbf7a92c.png

I think if they fix this, the game will start getting players back and new players will stop leaving the game.

😁

On 7/2/2019 at 4:57 AM, MattScott said:

Hi all,

I think SPCT are all done showing off progress for the moment, but @rooq took the time to edit down a flythrough for everyone who is interested.

You can see it here on the Little Orbit YouTube channel:

I'm looking forward to using this thread as a "starting point" so that we can show more progress with lighting and post processing soon.

Thanks,
Matt

Uh, a video, finally, thank you guys, i appreciate that ^^

22 hours ago, MrChan said:

Okay, so we've been suffering by virtue of the fact that the game's core architecture is a decade old and the EU is supposed to address this and give the developers a modern base to work from, but we should test it on hardware that was shit when the game was in closed beta 9 years ago?

No but look at tested hardware. It's all something I right now as student in big debt and working full-time on it can't really afford.

If I would make savings I would probably eat them away in next pack of noodles (yes, that's how bad it is for me recently).

It also expensive for me additionally since wage you can expect in Poland as someone like me is either near-but-above minimal wage but working your patootie off or minimal wage and still working your patootie off. And our minimal wage is pretty low for any western standard. Actually even for polish standard too... I lose 100% of money in cost of livings and I'm left without savings.

So yeah, I don't have other choice than to work on scraps, i7 and 4 GB GPUs is top tier I can afford through being cunning and looking for opportunites (and having some super small savings, sacrificing something always) but that's it. Nobody gonna part with Ryzen like that. At least yet.

Edited by Mitne