MattScott

June 2019 - Engine Upgrade progress (screenshots & video)

3 hours ago, ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™ said:

P.S: But would there be weather effects for 3.5 or will we have to wait till UE4?

I wonder what the likelihood is that this game EVER makes it to UE4.

Might honestly be better to just rebuild the game from the ground up brand new as 2.0 or something.  But they'd probably have to hire contractors to get the work done in a reasonable amount of time.

23 hours ago, Frosi said:

I'll do my part, here's my personal favorite out of the screenshots I took, as I've mentioned in my last post in regards to 3.5, I really like the more vibrant look of the game, this is just one of many examples.

69505906crayons.jpg

EU looking good.

Seriously though, can we finally get a statement on if LO is considering reverting or redoing the texture changes that RP did to APB for the console? Some of them are alright-ish, but so many of them just fucking suck and are way too vibrant, not to mention entirely changing the color scheme of San Paro.

• Like 2

Nice screenshots but does it function better than the current engine or it is the same crap. Also PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THESE FONTS LOOK SO BAD. Keep it vanilla!!! 😞

Edited by moxxichixx

2 hours ago, mynd said:

I wonder what the likelihood is that this game EVER makes it to UE4.

Might honestly be better to just rebuild the game from the ground up brand new as 2.0 or something.  But they'd probably have to hire contractors to get the work done in a reasonable amount of time.

That's what they're doing with UE4.  They have a separate team in Australia rebuilding the game from the ground up in UE4.  Pretty much the only things getting reused are art assets if I understood what Matt said correctly.

1 hour ago, BrandonBranderson said:

That's what they're doing with UE4.  They have a separate team in Australia rebuilding the game from the ground up in UE4.  Pretty much the only things getting reused are art assets if I understood what Matt said correctly.

I missed whenever this was discussed.  That's semi exciting, though a lot of the art assets should probably be revamped too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moxxichixx said:

Nice screenshots but does it function better than the current engine or it is the same crap. Also PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THESE FONTS LOOK SO BAD. Keep it vanilla!!! 😞

The Font is a WIP, it is currently being transitioned from the console font to the current LIVE font so you will see inconsistencies here and there and parts of the live font that are too bold, misaligned or too small as opposed to their live counterpart. 

I'm watching from the shadows guys, you guys are blessed! Keep up the good work!

MHO: I know there's still plenty of work to be done, but for now:

1. Lightning still sucks;
2. Textures look way sharp and "raw", guess AA is not yet fully implemented;

3. Well, while some parts do look more vivid, building textures still look way "boxy" and dated. When i look at them windows, 2010 punches me hard in the face.

Yet, i'm happy to see improvements. Can't wait (i actually can) to get back into playing this game. Miss ya Cookie! 😄

4 minutes ago, Poperon said:

2. Textures look way sharp and "raw", guess AA is not yet fully implemented;

This has been in beta for the life of the game it seems.

I just force it on through my vid card, no green edges.

Im going to vent here about some things Ive heard from the, well, parts of the community that only know how to be negative; I honestly didn't expect to even hear this complaint like this, but people's ability to find negativity and be salty never ceases to amaze. 

This update to everyone keeping track *is* the finalization of Reloaded Production's 3.5 update, we all roughly knew what the project looked like graphically from their 'controlled condition' shots. Little Orbit never promised any more than that, and if you expected anything more, like some sort of breathtaking overhaul, you have only yourself to blame. I think we all want performance, stability and it out quickly as possible over any "stunning" graphics anyway. 

Edit: Just to be clear, the final product will most likely look and run much better than what RP would have delivered on in some alternate reality where they had finished and not simply abandoned the project

Edited by Acornie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rooq said:

9rMMHta.png

Is 4:3 a requirement?

It would appear that their sign is slightly broken. I'll be sure to let RIMBAUD know.

Thank you mate, looks pretty good

16 hours ago, Hypothesis said:

they will fix by releasing jmb and garbage contents cause we have idiots who still spend on dead games.

and how else could you be here then?

It still looks terrible. Only when seeing a direct comparison to Live version, it definitely looks like an improvement.

Where is AA?

What is up with the font?

Are there plans to work on the life long issues of the game, like waterfront spawns, vehicle physics?

I'm glad to see any improvements and happy especially for people who have stuck with this game to this day, but there is a wide gap between APB that is improved enough to be more enjoyable than it is atm and APB that is fixed and finished and able to draw in new players to be successful again.

+ This thread seems overly focused on visuals. The main reasons and features of the upgrade is improved performance and opening of more possibilities to tweak and improve the game. The improved visuals is just a bonus.

Edited by kukki
+

55 minutes ago, kukki said:

It still looks terrible. Only when seeing a direct comparison to Live version, it definitely looks like an improvement.

Where is AA?

Are there plans to work on the life long issues of the game, like waterfront spawns, vehicle physics?

I'm glad to see any improvements and happy especially for people who have stuck with this game to this day, but there is a wide gap between APB that is improved enough to be more enjoyable than it is atm and APB that is fixed and finished and able to draw in new players to be successful again.

+ This thread seems overly focused on visuals. The main reasons and features of the upgrade is improved performance and opening of more possibilities to tweak and improve the game. The improved visuals is just a bonus.

Still a work in project.

Curious to why the benchmarks are done in 4k and not more used resolutions like 1080p or 1440p.

Anyways good to finally get some update on it and it does look like a big improvement even when unfinished. I also still have hope in you guys pulling this off. Maybe bring it up in every months blog how much you've progressed just to keep people updated. I don't care if it's just 1% in a month, any update is better than nothing. After all, this engine is what the majority has been wanting for over 5 years now so even breadcrumbs will do to keep me hooked.

Edited by dogfish
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Poperon said:

3. Well, while some parts do look more vivid, building textures still look way "boxy" and dated. When i look at them windows, 2010 punches me hard in the face.

For me one of the visual improvements I'd love to see the most is some effort put into distinguishing buildings from each other. Currently many buildings will have signs high up on their exteriors, which will denote certain things such as being a Pool Club or a City Community Centre, but nothing about what the player can see at the ground level make any effort to clarify what buildings are.

It's very obvious in call outs, as there are very few recognisable buildings beyond the community named ones "Island" "German Fortress" etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think someone mentioned this before but are we ever going to get more realistic damage for cars? Like parts getting ripped off (bumpers, hoods, mirrors ect)

3 hours ago, Nickolai said:

I think someone mentioned this before but are we ever going to get more realistic damage for cars? Like parts getting ripped off (bumpers, hoods, mirrors ect)

What source did you get that information from. I had a similar thing but it turned out to be false.

4 hours ago, Nickolai said:

53 minutes ago, IRyanI said:

What source did you get that information from. I had a similar thing but it turned out to be false.

That's a question for UE4.  Pretty much everything is intended to be a direct port between UE3 and UE3.5 while UE4 is slated to be a complete rebuild.

2 minutes ago, SkittyM said:

That's a question for UE4.  Pretty much everything is intended to be a direct port between UE3 and UE3.5 while UE4 is slated to be a complete rebuild.

In all honesty. I'm more curious on how they plan to improve account customization. character models, vehicles, decals, weapons, and maybe housing if possible,

6 hours ago, kukki said:

14 hours ago, Frosi said:

The Font is a WIP, it is currently being transitioned from the console font to the current LIVE font so you will see inconsistencies here and there and parts of the live font that are too bold, misaligned or too small as opposed to their live counterpart. 

1 hour ago, IRyanI said:

In all honesty. I'm more curious on how they plan to improve account customization. character models, vehicles, decals, weapons, and maybe housing if possible,

For 3.5? Likely not at all. Those are more of a UE4 project.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 10:49 AM, Glaciers said:

do you really think the 500 people left spend enough money to actually make a profit of apb?

wouldn't call it a profit but at least they can get what ever they are investing .

evil-yes-gif-4.gif

So... is it too much to ask if the engine upgrade is going to be on public testing anytime soon?
@MattScott

also, you should have added in big bold red text on the initial post: "Lighting and post processing is not finished yet" or something like that

Edited by Yeedman