MattScott

June 2019 - Engine Upgrade progress (screenshots & video)

1 minute ago, KyoukiDotExe said:

38D7BC43EAEA42F992284ADE35D346032ED7565C

There you go!

mlfZ5MV.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

I like the visuals of the engine update better than the live version, but I'd rather have a gritty APB... with a "used" look... dirtier - busted up. (APB textures are too plain)

looking at crimecraft gangwars I get kinda jealous...

CrimeCraft-3.jpg

also, can we finally get RAIN in APB? 🙂

i agree that this look is pretty compelling compared to the screen shots being shared...

1 hour ago, 7GX said:

I would appreciate it if you published this one.

I found this part interesting because in the trailer of the Unreal Engine 3.5 published by G1, there are elements such as container coverage.

RmsNRpO.png

749YVOS.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Frosi said:

There you go!

mlfZ5MV.jpg

Thanks bae! Looks lovely to compare this spot.

1 minute ago, Speedz said:

749YVOS.jpg

I appreciate.

2 minutes ago, ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™ said:

I wonder what the UE 4 has in store for us after the initial 3.5 core tests and release 🤔 the hype thickens.

New/improved map gameplay, better ways for customization, better weapon mechanics/aesthetics and vehicle controls,  more stable game optimizations, multi render engine running in X64, better visuals, higher resolution scale, Maybe"dedicated servers" A lot can happen over time and just possible. ue5 is released in the process 😛

8 minutes ago, IRyanI said:

New/improved map gameplay, better ways for customization, better weapon mechanics/aesthetics and vehicle controls,  more stable game optimizations, multi render engine running in X64, better visuals, higher resolution scale, Maybe"dedicated servers" A lot can happen over time and just possible. ue5 is released in the process 😛

What more realistic car damage like on GRID or like any other racing car game? I know that it'll enhance the player experience with better customization but needs that realistic touch to it also so you feel more immersed.  

Edited by ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, uraputz said:

it appears to look a little "2014" graphically?

I mean, 2014 was the original release date of the engine update, so wowing graphics should have never been anticipated, that's for the UE4 project :P

• Like 1

Just now, ɱɑƫƫʂϗᎧɨɨ™ said:

What more realistic car damage like on GRID or any other racing car game? I know that it'll enhance the player experience with better customization but needs that realistic touch to it also so you feel more immersed.  

Yeah. it feels kind of dumb to shoot the windows and not seeing any physical damage let alone, if a player is sitting in the car a certain hitbox is  blocking me from shooting making it a glorified bullet sponge. it just doesn't FEEL right honestly.

When are we going to test this? The community has been waiting for 6 years. Please don't say 2020.....

Thank you to all the staff at Little Orbit and SPCT for what you guys are doing.

This was the news a lot of people have been wanting. It feels so close yet so far but keep up the hard work.

I understand you are going for stability and performance but can you at least add some textures? We are way passed the PS3 and GTX 480 era, I am pretty sure a lot of us would agree that you could try and make the game look a it more up to date?

25 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

When are we going to test this? The community has been waiting for 6 years. Please don't say 2020.....

It has been tested. the sad thing is its mainly only able to be tested by the members of SPCT. while I understand the wait it is a valuable thing to have a certain group to test instead of the entire apb community, which in some cases can be the most disastrous thing to do.

I must admit I think this looking quite nice,  I'm digging the updated textures and meshes and am looking forward to seeing what it looks like when the shaders and lighting have been tweaked.

Really great to see all these pictures! I'm so excited! 👏

a lot of the replies in here trash talking the 3.5 changes are laughable. this is technically an alpha state still work in progress and matt has even indicated any post processing and lighting effects are not integrated yet. as far as i see this thread its a tremendous step in the right direction, the improvements are night and day different even in an incomplete state. Rendering distance, textures, colors/hue in environment, shadows, general realism even with half the features enabled is hugely improved.

personally i would play this over live even in its alpha like state and performance gains are always welcome not that i have issues with how its currently. i play at either 5760x1080 @ 144hz or 4K @ 60hz, 1080p by today's standards is pretty entry tier but is certainly understandable not everybody owns a 1080Ti to drive these frame rates high enough.

• Like 4

Finally some engine upgrade update!

I wish it would look more gritty and dark ( in a matter of theme) so its not all rainbows and unicorns.

Also, is there dynamic lightning, like on cars now?

20 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

1080p performance on my rig was good, never dipped below 60 during my screenshot run and no microstutters at all (for me at least)

20 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Performance for me is still problematic.

Overall FPS issues as well as a lot of stuttering.

@WhiskeyTangoFoxX @CookiePuss , mind sharing your system setups, for example via pcpartpicker.com? Like this for example: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ulexos/saved/qx94CJ
Am curious

With some of these screenshots, I can't tell if the people who took them have bad settings on/low resolution, or if the engine upgrade is supposed to look the same but brighter than live?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, some of these screenshots (i.e. social and asylum) look great! Just the mission districts look plain still. 😕

Edited by Goldtiger

These screens look reallly good. I see a lot more colour in the world now. The street light shinning down is also more noticeable and less washed out. Its refreshing. 

This post's more for me then anything. Just some comparisons from "g1's engine upgrade" before they ... well you know the rest.

This engine upgrade - v.2.1.0.469.11537 (810873)

Social.

fK7StiS.jpg

The Ship.

jsBol1l.png

G1's old engine upgrade - v.2.0.0.319.57171 (750394)

The Ship.

fjIwwL7.jpg

Social.

E7JiCYy.jpg

ovYfgp6.jpg

I was gonna comment on the font but i think i saw a unicorn post about it going to be fixed, other then that i'm just waiting to see if it runs better.

Edited by Zolerox
Placed the ship images closer, easier to compare.
  • Like 1

What's with the maximum framerate on Live being 156, as in higher than the current 145 fps cap observed in game. Is this a special build of 3.0 with no limiter or a benchmarking artifact?

Also, it would be interesting to know whether the framerate cap has been removed or made user adjustable for 3.5. Not that going beyond makes a huge difference, but Smooth Frame Rate's pretty much hardcoded target of 62 fps makes little sense in this day and age. Users should be easily able to choose a target framerate without having to edit config files. 

• Like 1

Looks amazing. Im excited but also skeptical... Will have to see how it runs.

13 hours ago, mynd said:

I'm personally not impressed at all when I take into account that this ancient game and the long process to bring it to 3.5 results in it still looking ancient, just less ancient.  Relatively speaking, sure it's an improvement over current APB, I just think at this point it would be a good idea to either commit to modernizing all the visuals of the game, or not waste any more dev time on it.

Not sure how much LO has done with the visuals themselves, or if this is all work done by G1 before the buyout.

what were you expecting? a game like runescape turning into world of warcraft graphics i mean what? you can't make apb reloaded gta 5 

6 hours ago, MySodium said:

True, everything looks washed out , lots of grey, looks kinda depressing but the main focus for me is the performance anyways.

its already been said that the lighting is not done yet.