MattScott

June 2019 - Engine Upgrade progress (screenshots & video)

Can you guys stage a shot showcasing the tracers?

7 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

o9UzO3P.jpg

they didnt fix the pedestrian crossings? w o w HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD? smh

• Like 2

Thank you Matt, LO and SPCT for all the effort you put at getting UE 3.5 ready.

I can't wait to start playing without stuttering!

Just now, Rolpack said:

they didnt fix the pedestrian crossings? w o w HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD? smh

This is the true reason why the console versions failed to pass QA testing. Road Safety is more important than client crashes.

39 minutes ago, Nitronik said:

Can you guys stage a shot showcasing the tracers?

oChHnFT.jpg

We do get tracers again 

• Like 3

I think it looks great already, I would want to play it right now tbh. Hope you will finish it this year LO.

the pictures look great only thing that bothers me still is the draw distance of 100m is it possible to increase it in the new engine ?

From what I can see this all was worth the wait. That is, the wait for someone to kick G1 out and take over before everything sinks.

And are tracers back? Oh my gosh, finally a reason to choose silencers!

Edited by V2050
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ebola-Chan said:

the pictures look great only thing that bothers me still is the draw distance of 100m is it possible to increase it in the new engine ?

I do not know if all the options that were in the videos that the people do of the graphic engine unreal 3.5 will be, but I do remember that the option to see objects from farther away was.

Edited by 7GX

12 hours ago, SkittyM said:

Same from all sides pretty much.

I'm liking that overcast skybox

One step done, good job LO.

I'm liking the shoots.

The shadows look too bright and washed out. Hope this is something you are working on.

8 hours ago, Algoz said:

Why post screenshots if they are not the final product then? There are still lighting issues.

Honestly, it looks average, i am sure we expected more regarding the graphical quality.

Hope it gets better, cuz now it looks meeh

Because people have been asking for them, you doughnut.

Anyways what I can say. In any case, the game looks better. And this is not the final screen. It's not even let me uninstall 3.5, and like 4 then I want to do. 

But until that I still see what the clumsiness buildings on a map, objects. 

All the same with square corners. Either that's the style of play and they won't change it. Or I don't know. It would be possible to make the graphics like GTA 5 does not? Objects, buildings. But the mechanics, movement, management of the person to leave the same. Ah purely to clumsiness this to remove objects. Lots of angles. Past age. If they want the game to look modern

2 hours ago, Kevkof said:

IKcnxoS.png

Does this suit your needs?

Asylum at night, just waw

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Amberwind said:

The shadows look too bright and washed out. Hope this is something you are working on.

This is something that is being worked on.

The starting point of the Engine Upgrade was these exact console versions just running on PC, so there has been a lot of work to do since we started.

You guys seem to have killed the old blog (pls fix) so I can't reference it easily, but back before the acquisition one of the posts talked about an internal branch with some PC-specific enhancements already existing. Was this something usable and already merged into the console build that you're working back from?

Also, is there anything in this process that could have made the old, non-Scaleform parts of the UI perform any less shitty? If not, it seems that finishing the transition away from the old UI is possibly the single biggest performance uplift we have to look forward to, though I realize this means a lot of screens to redo.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

You madman, using a Norseman

I do too :v

10 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

I should have made it clear that we are not done with the lighting or post processing.

We did an initial pass on time of day and some basic lighting values just to course correct what was done for console.

But the art team is now waiting for the content packages to get migrated and then we plan on doing a fairly big pass to adjust the look and feel.

There are several excellent threads on the forums already that show off the older RTW look.

I wont guarantee that we are going to end up exactly matching what was done before, but there is consensus on the team that we want to steer in that direction.

Thanks,
Matt

Just add the bloom settings in the option menu, to high to ultra high , so we can get the glow night time look. Thank  you

13 hours ago, SkittyM said:

Late but here's a random mission we did for giggles.

[snip]

hmmm... those cars look kinda like they are glowing? is this normal?

they are also all pretty matte-looking...

i guess matt said they are not done. still looks a bit weird. glad to see it seems to work?

Edited by neophobia

Goodbye APB aesthetic. /wave

3 hours ago, Sayori said:

Well...I don't think it looks better than current live build but I know that proper lighting and post processing can improve it drastically. 

But why "benchmarking" at 4k resolution ? How many people are playing 4k right now? A fraction. The fps seems* acceptable though.

Anyway I don't see how this will be done this year. Maybe Q1 2020, early Q2

I swear I am like the only person that actually plays at 4k.

From this stage of lighting, most things look amazing. Night time in asylum looks interesting. I am concerned how at some screenshots the overall look is pale and maybe a bit unreal (pun). It looks like the light either passes through objects or it doesn't hit off other surfaces properly. Idk how it works, but some parts seem 'off'. I get that there it is being worked on, but still that is a bit concerning.

A surprise post with surprise actual progress. Thank you.

EhnbVRp.jpg