MattScott

June 2019 - Engine Upgrade progress (screenshots & video)

39 minutes ago, ninjarrrr said:

realtime worlds looks better lmao

OH MY GOSH ! ! ! SOMEONE SAYING THE TRUTH. FINALLY!!!!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rec said:

OH MY GOSH ! ! ! SOMEONE SAYING THE TRUTH. FINALLY!!!!

agree, like I said we gonna have APB emulator on PC

Real Time Worlds / RTW visuals and graphics looks way better. Also where's the Bloom settings at Night time?

Sorry but if these are the engine upgrade on  how they planned to look, its looks bad.

• Like 4

Hi all,

I should have made it clear that we are not done with the lighting or post processing.

We did an initial pass on time of day and some basic lighting values just to course correct what was done for console.

But the art team is now waiting for the content packages to get migrated and then we plan on doing a fairly big pass to adjust the look and feel.

There are several excellent threads on the forums already that show off the older RTW look.

I wont guarantee that we are going to end up exactly matching what was done before, but there is consensus on the team that we want to steer in that direction.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 17
  • Thanks 17

On 6/22/2019 at 12:03 AM, MattScott said:

To give specifics, there are 1498 packages used in the game:

• 919 regular packages
  • 537 map packages including dynamic layers to action districts for events and missions

So far we have converted about ~83% of them:

• 706 regular packages
  • 24 map packages

Original packages 919+537= 1456.

??1498??

Converted packages 706+24= 730.

Percentage of converted packages : 730/1456 = 50.1%

Wrong calculation depending on the total packages given by matt : 730/1498= 48.7%

??~83%??

Am i missing something? 

If not then that's some interesting mathematics right there.

Edited by WorldDominator

3 minutes ago, WorldDominator said:

??1498??

Comple packages 706+24= 730.

Percentage of completed packages : 730/1456 = 50.1%

Wrong calculation depending on the total packages given by matt : 730/1498= 48.7%

??~83%??

Am i missing something? 

this also made me wonder, especially about the packages lol

The only thing i want to know, are tracers working?

5 minutes ago, Goabea said:

The only thing i want to know, are tracers working?

They always worked in 3.5 to my knowledge.

Edited by SkittyM
Upgraded my pancakes
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WorldDominator said:

??1498??

Converted packages 706+24= 730.

Percentage of converted packages : 730/1456 = 50.1%

??~83%??

Am i missing something? 

Bad math on my part.

I used the number of packages converted instead of the number of packages remaining in the second portion.

I have updated the proper numbers in the thread.

----

To give specifics, there are 1498 packages used in the game:

919 regular packages

537 map packages including dynamic layers to action districts for events and missions

So far we have converted about ~84% of them, with the following packages remaining to be completed:

212 regular packages

24 map packages

• Like 3

493848531346653224.gif?v=1493848531346653224.gif?v=1493848531346653224.gif?v=1

It's happening

Really good to hear and see engine news finally, although giving out statements like 'we are 83% done' feel like it's saying soon, but really it's kinda vague and doesn't really say much. But yeah, good to see pics and by some of the negative replies coming in it's super easy to see why you were hesitant to let the community see WIP screens

6 minutes ago, MattScott said:

I should have made it clear that we are not done with the lighting or post processing.

Good to know, I thought things looked a little... aliased in some of the screenshots but other than that I personally have no complaints about the look and think they look great, I like the slightly more vibrant look to the world

(of course, the thing we all can agree is needed is good performance, so I hope that continues to improve)

Thanks to yall from the SPCT for sharing some nice screenshots they'll make for some great wallpaper.

Edited by TR3NT
  • Like 1

Looks good!

I can't wait for people to disregard any benefit graphically the engine upgrade will give us and run in an 800x600 window with lego graphics.

Jokes aside, this looks awesome - and it is also nice to know that the shaders/lighting is not final.

Edited by Sophiie
  • Like 2

I know this is still in testing, but I noticed the absence of rank icons like on Xbox & Ps4.. I hope you guys still don't plan on removing them. You can at least remove the threat colors when the time comes and recolor them to red & blue. 😕

On 3/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, MattScott said:

Hi all,

I realize there is quite a bit of hype around the engine upgrade.

My reluctance to show screenshots is purely because we aren’t quiet done yet with some core level re-writing on multithreaded rendering, lighting, or shaders.

In a community like APB, I know I’m not going to make everyone happy. There are too many artistic opinions about which era of the game looked best. 

So it’s important that we show off images that will actually be representative of the final product, so we can set expectations properly and make a majority of the players happy.

Thanks,

Matt

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

We did an initial pass on time of day and some basic lighting values just to course correct what was done for console.

But the art team is now waiting for the content packages to get migrated and then we plan on doing a fairly big pass to adjust the look and feel.

There are several excellent threads on the forums already that show off the older RTW look.

I wont guarantee that we are going to end up exactly matching what was done before, but there is consensus on the team that we want to steer in that direction.

Thanks,
Matt

Why post screenshots if they are not the final product then? There are still lighting issues.

Honestly, it looks average, i am sure we expected more regarding the graphical quality.

Hope it gets better, cuz now it looks meeh

• Like 1

any update on the laggy unplayable servers or the rampant cheaters which make the game even more unplayable?

6 minutes ago, Algoz said:

Why post screenshots if they are not the final product then? There are still lighting issues.

Honestly, it looks average, i am sure we expected more regarding the graphical quality.

Hope it gets better, cuz now it looks meeh

they posted screenshots because the community has been foaming at the mouth for them

honestly im surprised there's even an attempt at gfx improvements beyond what comes from the engine, anyone who really expected 3.5 to magically look perfect is a dumbass who hasnt understood what the engine upgrade is meant for

• Like 2

thank you for opening the veil . I like everything - CONTINUE to WORK LO .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kempington said:

6HhNZxB.jpg

Any requests?

double post, but this is a really good shot, other than perhaps a little more bloom i'd be pretty happy if the engine upgrade brought this level of lighting

4 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

Matt has already said several times they will be removed before this goes out.

shame, those do look nice in the map. 

3 minutes ago, Doom32 said:

shame, those do look nice in the map. 

they look about as good as the palm trees growing straight out of concrete around the wf cruise ship

• Like 2