MattScott

June 2019 - Next Steps with RIOT

On 6/22/2019 at 1:54 AM, owzzy said:

The main issue I see with taking RIOT down is that people who have been grinding to reach rank 5 on the RIOT contact and obtain the Yakuza skin would have been well and truly shafted.

I agree with this. Many times APB's events and new content have had underwhelming rewards, but this is not the case with RIOT. The Yakuza skin aside, the ability to get a rare 5 day weapon every day is a pretty major advantage of reaching rank 5. Some of those weapons such as the 3-slot AMG had yet to be available before. 

Overall though, RIOT turned out to be more than just a gimmick and a decent alternative to missions in my opinion. I do agree though with the general notion that it was rushed and has more potential than what the current state of this gamemode shows. I would certainly have pushed for a simultaneous RIOT/3.5 release and put the current "beta" out on the OTW for true public testing, not just designated test times. 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:27 PM, MattScott said:

The design for RIOT also included a number of underlying systems that we need. Some of them are focused on design elements such as cleaning up the district blocks or tracking new aspects of play. Other systems focused on replacing Joker Mystery Boxes. It's clear that legislation will eventually make these illegal, so we need new ways of building value that our players can spend money on.

I'm not a fan of buying the boxes themselves, I really hope Loyalty boxes won't go away. Getting a bonus (potentially a legendary) with each purchase is a good idea. 

The problem with boxes is that for those players who already have purchased many of the weapons account-wide, the likelihood to get something useless or duplicate increases dramatically. 

I wonder if any company putting their hands on this game ever realized before it was too late, what spaghetti code they'll have to be dealing with.

22 minutes ago, kukki said:

I wonder if any company putting their hands on this game ever realized before it was too late, what spaghetti code they'll have to be dealing with.

You don't even need to be code savvy at all to realize what a mess APBs code is.

Hell, the newest update even broke the final bomb stage where the objective just disappears once interacted with, forcing one side to lose without any chance of winning. How does that even happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So am I to understand that the main initiative behind RIOT wasn’t to offset the steep learning curve of APB, and to attract new players, which it so desperately needs…it was to create a playpen for your dev team to make mistakes in, and to use as a learning tool?

You then released this playpen…

-          In a beta stage…

-          On this archaic and broken engine, when the upgrade is allegedly around the corner…

-          With underperforming servers that get constantly DDOS’ed …

-          While your customer support after a year, still takes over a month to respond to a ticket…

-          With a large amount of unwarranted hype to the community…

-          (And here’s the fun one) Followed by “marketing efforts” and “press releases”.

Does this honestly sound like a sound business strategy @MattScott?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lyfeld said:

3-slot AMG

available in the joker store

Agreed with Glaciers and Pound, it always felt like the attitude was that Riot was going to be a functional, new game mode that aimed towards bringing in new players and would've had marketing, but now the wording of this post makes it seem like an interactive beta testing dev playground. Why even market a beta game mode in the first place, especially with larger issues like s e r v e r s, and an old 32 bit engine in 2019 😕

Edit: I'll throw in that I only play riot for the joker tickets and deployable items/whatever they're called, ammo boxes n shields n shtuff. If you keep riot in as is that'll be the only reason I play, and it definitely won't be a daily thing.

Edit 2: Hell, I liked the Halloween event with 3 big groups all having a massive war a lot more than Riot. 3 big groups on a big map like financial causing chaos was so much more fun.

Edited by professorsnack
additional info

Please suspend RIOT, rush EU. Also give players more important reason to play RIOT because right now people go there to get a skin and thats it? Seems like it doesnt take much time to achieve that (maybe you have talked about adding more rewards in final release, correct me if Im wrong).

• Thanks 1

re-release the mode at a later time, by advertising it as a new game mode after engine upgrade.

The mode will rot if it stays on public servers and people will lose interest.

focus on what makes apb unique, not other way around

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PoundOfFlesh said:

So am I to understand that the main initiative behind RIOT wasn’t to offset the steep learning curve of APB, and to attract new players, which it so desperately needs…it was to create a playpen for your dev team to make mistakes in, and to use as a learning tool?

-          On this archaic and broken engine, when the upgrade is allegedly around the corner…

-          While your customer support after a year, still takes over a month to respond to a ticket…

-          (And here’s the fun one) Followed by “marketing efforts” and “press releases”.

Does this honestly sound like a sound business strategy @MattScott?

Sounds like a really bad excuse.

5 hours ago, PoundOfFlesh said:

Does this honestly sound like a sound business strategy ?

Glad to see you on the forums.

IemT0FA.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wHisHi said:

Also give players more important reason to play RIOT because right now people go there to get a skin and thats it?

I'm dumb and don't know what I did to deserve them, but I got a decent amount of Joker tickets from playing. Only in my first few matches though, once I stopped getting them I gave up playing lol.

Take down RIOT and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FINISH THE ENGINE UPGRADE. Then and only then should you guys start fixing RIOT. Nobody wanted/wants RIOT, what we want is good ol APB with the engine upgrade we've been promised for literally years now. Once that's done the sky is the limit, new contacts, new map, new vehicles, new weapons, new missions. I feel like the engine upgrade alone will bring back a shit ton of people and then after that the rest should start falling into place. I love the effort by you guys but stop wasting time on a mode nobody cares about and start focusing on what the player base that you have left wants PLEASE. 

Edited by Kaidnn
  • Like 2

Good decision.

Just finish engine upgrade and fix NA asap please.

And please make snowy finaicial for next winter💩

APB is boring me to death these days. Not fun to watch. Not fun to play.

My bullets are literally traveling to China.

It's a joke.

• Like 1

I wasn't going to reply here, but after recent events, I decided to take a public stance.

I agree with @PoundOfFlesh that RIOT won't help the game population going up, but if they released it so they can have our opinion on this and have the devs getting something out and learn from it, then, in my opinion, they did right, as we know that the Unreal Engine 3.5 is by no means delayed by that action.

I disagree with @PoundOfFlesh on the aspect of attacking and enraging on everybody that doesn't rage with him, like something good will get out of it and confusing our patience as being on opposite sides. People have different tolerances, I understand that some people need to vent, but there must be a limit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChrisVicious said:

APB is boring me to death these days. Not fun to watch. Not fun to play.

My bullets are literally traveling to China.

It's a joke.

Or NA servers made in China

Lol

Lol

On 6/21/2019 at 11:27 PM, MattScott said:

Right now, the big decision I need to make is whether to:
(1) take the mode down until it has seen major work or
(2) add some more tiers along with another reward that will enable players to continue grinding Joker Tickets while we make changes.

I would rather vote with the first option, because the population is low and the mode is broken.

I love that you guys are working hard to make things happen but lets get real for  a second. Every single time i play, the servers lag so hard. The game is litterally unplayable. How this is not a top priority for LO is mind boggling. All the content and new game modes in the world wont improve the game nor will it improve the population if your servers are consistently crumbling around us. And ddos is not a valid excuse. Every other game developer out there deals with the same server issues yet somehow manages to keep things running smooth. Im happy that you guys communicate with us, but at times it feels like a one sided conversation. Server and game performance should be the top prority. All this talk about riot and engine upgrades dont distract from the frustration of trying to play a game i love unsuccessfully due to consistent server and performance issues. Thats all i want to hear about at this point. Riot means nothing when the base game is almost never playable.

Regards

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kylegrey2 said:

I love that you guys are working hard to make things happen but lets get real for  a second. Every single time i play, the servers lag so hard. The game is litterally unplayable. How this is not a top priority for LO is mind boggling. All the content and new game modes in the world wont improve the game nor will it improve the population if your servers are consistently crumbling around us. And ddos is not a valid excuse. Every other game developer out there deals with the same server issues yet somehow manages to keep things running smooth. Im happy that you guys communicate with us, but at times it feels like a one sided conversation. Server and game performance should be the top prority. All this talk about riot and engine upgrades dont distract from the frustration of trying to play a game i love unsuccessfully due to consistent server and performance issues. Thats all i want to hear about at this point. Riot means nothing when the base game is almost never playable.

Regards

I never get lag. The game is 100% playable. Just because your game is not playable doesnt mean the majority of the game is fucked up or anything. Get a better connection and PC. Yes you will say I HAVE A GREAT PC AND SOMETHING LIKE 300MEG INTERNET.,. but in reality you live in the sticks with a commodor 64.

Game is fine. If it wasnt why are there so many people online right now having no issues? Me included.

RTW deliberatly made a shit working game so that 10 years later people will still complain about it. No.

27 minutes ago, Seedy said:

I never get lag. The game is 100% playable. Just because your game is not playable doesnt mean the majority of the game is fucked up or anything. Get a better connection and PC. Yes you will say I HAVE A GREAT PC AND SOMETHING LIKE 300MEG INTERNET.,. but in reality you live in the sticks with a commodor 64.

Game is fine. If it wasnt why are there so many people online right now having no issues? Me included.

RTW deliberatly made a shit working game so that 10 years later people will still complain about it. No.

“i don’t have this problem so it doesn’t exist”

good job bud

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Seedy said:

That is a piss poor excuse that ive heard more than once. i find it absurd you would even make that assumption. I live in a major city, have a 300mbps fibe connection, have a modern computer that can play AAA games released this year with zero lag or fps issues. i crush every game i play including oculus games but youre telling me i need a better computer and connection to play a game released in 2010? Get real dude. Get real.

1 minute ago, Kylegrey2 said:

That is a piss poor excuse that ive heard more than once. i find it absurd you would even make that assumption. I live in a major city, have a 300mbps fibe connection, have a modern computer that can play AAA games released this year with zero lag or fps issues. i crush every game i play including oculus games but youre telling me i need a better computer and connection to play a game released in 2010? Get real dude. Get real.

he he I knew you would say that.. thats why i did it.

Chill dude its just a bit of fun.

5 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

“i don’t have this problem so it doesn’t exist”

good job bud

oooooh 2 nerves touched.. man I am on a roll tonight!

he he.. 

4 minutes ago, Seedy said:

Lol dont troll me like that 😄 There was a time when i was running some weak hardware. I upgraded because everyone told me my pc was a potato and that was why apb wasnt running well for me. To my great disappointment 1500 bucks later, i still had issues... when the servers are running properly, its smooth as silk but lately everytime i play, the servers go haywire for everyone at the same time. The whole district empties out in no time. I love apb. There is no replacing it. Believe me, ive tried. I just want to see the server issues taken care of so we can all enjoy it the way we were meant to.

32 minutes ago, Seedy said:

oooooh 2 nerves touched.. man I am on a roll tonight!

he he.. 

who to believe, thousands of negative reviews over several years  or one nerd that still plays apb?

On 6/23/2019 at 8:10 AM, GhosT said:

You don't even need to be code savvy at all to realize what a mess APBs code is.

Hell, the newest update even broke the final bomb stage where the objective just disappears once interacted with, forcing one side to lose without any chance of winning. How does that even happen.

ALIENSSSSSSSSS