Snubnose

POLL TIME - RIOT

POLL TIME - RIOT  

104 members have voted

1. 1. your thoughts for the future of RIOT mode?

• keep RIOT like this, improve it over time. (balance focus on both RIOT and main game)
    • scrap RIOT. focus on the main game.
    • rework RIOT into a TurfWar gamemode. (similar to planetside 2, but in a smaller scale)
    • rework RIOT into something completely different. (post suggestions below)
    • I don't care what happens.
    • make APB 2 :^)

multiple choice - you can agree with more than just one of these outcomes.

Edited by Snubnose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snubnose said:

multiple choice - you can agree with more than just one of these outcomes.

you dont honestly believe this will make a single bit of difference do you?

1 minute ago, Seedy said:

you dont honestly believe this will make a single bit of difference do you?

well, APB is doomed. no engine update will save it. no updates after that... it's too old, and left a bad taste in everyones mouth, so people won't really return.

I'm not even joking when I'm talking about APB 2 even though it seems like it... this game needs to be built from the ground up again to modernize it... you can't just slap engine update after engine update onto it and call it a day. (the fact that they're having a separate team working on a UE4 update is beyond me..) it may bring APB to a slightly higher standard regarding modernization and visual upgrades (it may seem 2 years younger), but overall the game's still the same.

I made this poll because I personally wanted to know what the community thinks, and who knows, maybe it'll have an impact on future decisions by LO, but that won't matter too much because of the things mentioned above.

Turf War similar to Planetside 2 would be awesome. I don't think there is any Free To Play game that has a urban setting with that kind of mode.

But instead of 3 teams I would like enforcers vs crimes only and also usage of as much equipments (Spray, Hack...) as possible.

Edited by iTzBlackout
  • Like 1

I personally think RIOT mode should have been a PlanetSide 2 styled mode. A constant fight for control of the district, with the ability to spawn at any held areas in the district. 

Hc8puZh.png

This is kind of how it's looking in my mind. 

Red Area = Team One

Green Area = Team Two

Blue Area = Team Three

Yellow H = Home Base

Pink 1 = 1 point for holding that zone

Holding three points would win the match. Each zone you take must be connected to your held areas, so I couldn't just go take Red Team's point. You'd have to work towards it. The middle area is up for grabs at the start of the round.

You can't take someone's home base, so if you lose all your areas you aren't out of the fight just yet. 

Obviously, each team's starting territory can and should be tweaked, as I know this isn't a perfectly balanced map.

To hold the zones I'm thinking a flag like the refer-a-friend one, except it's dropped into a circle like a hold the item in your base style mission. Dropping your flag into an enemy's area would be like a take and hold mission, from enemy held, to neutral, to team held. 

This looks like a PlanetSide 2 Ripoff (because it kind of is). A giant 3 man team battle sounds like a hell of a good time to me.

• Like 9

riot can’t be scrapped at this point, too much dev time and pr to end up with nothing after a year

short term orbit needs to start pushing out fixes for the current riot districts (groups, pickups, map balancing, UI adjustments, etc), just leaving riot alone to fester like an open wound is unacceptable 

long term riot needs to be slowly changed into something else, preferably a mode where dying/respawning has no real importance: turf wars, modified anarchy districts, etc - it should be very clear at this point that battle royale gameplay just doesn’t fit into this game 

9 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

APB 2

15 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

you can't just slap engine update after engine update onto it and call it a day. (the fact that they're having a separate team working on a UE4 update is beyond me..)

the “update” to ue4 is exactly what you’re asking for, we’ve been told it requires a complete rewrite of the game from the ground up

but i remain skeptical that this will ever be a practical option in any form - the last time estimate we got was multiple years away, given what we’ve seen of orbit so far does anyone think ue4 is going to come in on time?

13 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

riot can’t be scrapped at this point, too much dev time and pr to end up with nothing after a year

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/173/Sunk-Cost-Fallacy

They very much can scrap it, and they very much should. It's a complete waste of dev time that could be spent on the only thing that actually matters, the engine upgrade.

39 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

well, APB is doomed. no engine update will save it. no updates after that... it's too old, and left a bad taste in everyones mouth, so people won't really return.

I'm not even joking when I'm talking about APB 2 even though it seems like it... this game needs to be built from the ground up again to modernize it... you can't just slap engine update after engine update onto it and call it a day. (the fact that they're having a separate team working on a UE4 update is beyond me..) it may bring APB to a slightly higher standard regarding modernization and visual upgrades (it may seem 2 years younger), but overall the game's still the same.

I made this poll because I personally wanted to know what the community thinks, and who knows, maybe it'll have an impact on future decisions by LO, but that won't matter too much because of the things mentioned above.

APB2 would be great but LO wont be able to make it. Took RTW 400 people, $100,000,000 and 4 years to make the game we have.

Although I would love to see APB 2.

btw i just voted no.2

Edited by Seedy
forgot to add the number 2! schoolboy error!

1 minute ago, Hexerin said:

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/173/Sunk-Cost-Fallacy

They very much can scrap it, and they very much should. It's a complete waste of dev time that could be spent on the only thing that actually matters, the engine upgrade.

^ This.

They wasted resources on developing Riot when the engine was far more important. 

Just now, Seedy said:

APB would be great but LO wont be able to make it. Took RTW 400 people, $100,000,000 and 4 years to make the game we have.

Although I would love to see APB 2.

Every time they release an "update" they cause more damage than anything. They aren't competent enough to build a 2nd version of the game that's better than the original. Taking that route would likely piss off most of the remaining players enough to jump ship for good.

5 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

sunk cost doesnt really apply, as scrapping riot would itself cause more harm and the mode still has value even if its only as a stepping stone to something else (deleting riot mode and starting from scratch on turf wars would be rather poor resource management)

its already been explained multiple times that separate teams are working on riot and the engine upgrade simultaneously and that throwing more bodies at the engine upgrade wont help 

multiple choice .yes !   me not poputi with you .

3 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

its already been explained multiple times that separate teams are working on riot and the engine upgrade simultaneously and that throwing more bodies at the engine upgrade wont help 

I don't understand how people don't realize that an artist, map designer, or even the person coding the game mode would be of very little help on the engine upgrade. Two different areas.

- Remove personal loadouts.
- Remove respawns.
- New uses for money (Buy randomly generated guns from joker vending machines, sabotages possibly (Kinda like ults in other games) or some other mechanic that could take money)
- Automatically release gas if players aren't able to get to it fast enough, restricting the amount of money your can earn balancing not making as much money for the 3 plans above.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

short term orbit needs to start pushing out fixes for the current riot districts (groups, pickups, map balancing, UI adjustments, etc), just leaving riot alone to fester like an open wound is unacceptable 

long term riot needs to be slowly changed into something else, preferably a mode where dying/respawning has no real importance: turf wars, modified anarchy districts, etc - it should be very clear at this point that battle royale gameplay just doesn’t fit into this game 

the “update” to ue4 is exactly what you’re asking for, we’ve been told it requires a complete rewrite of the game from the ground up

but i remain skeptical that this will ever be a practical option in any form - the last time estimate we got was multiple years away, given what we’ve seen of orbit so far does anyone think ue4 is going to come in on time?

well, kinda true regarding the scrapping of RIOT, but how much work did LO actually put into RIOT? RP started forging this mode ages ago... they (LO) said that RIOT is not taking away ressources from the engine update, so considering the information we have and the final product we got it can't be too much effort they've spend finishing RIOT... (although I could be completely wrong and RP never came across having anything playable)

how do you "slowly change" RIOT into another gamemode?... you wanna have a hybrid gamemode before having something solid? that's not really possible...

well, re-write of  the code - OK. but what about the maps and all the assets? car models? texture resolutions and polygon count is just outdated in APB... they would have to completely remake APB assets to actually come close to "APB 2".
also, APB 2 would need a whole lot more to do in the open world... more stuff to do out of mission. checkpoint racing (or PVP racing), tagging graffiti across town in a certain time frame or whatever the hell kind of open world "mini missions" you could think of would really help make APB great. I mean look at these concepts of RTW times...
ramraiding should be reworked to be more immersive (actually breaking into a garage, going inside and grabbing struff instead of random items spawning infront on the street).
robbing small stores while actually going inside... or simply HEISTS. this games potential is through the roof... it could be what GTA online failed to be - a criminals wet dream. (fuck flying cars and all the military bullshoot - GTA online is trash.)

but I doubt LO has the vision for this... let alone the ressources to do something this big...
they're trying their best, but they're focusing on "mainstream entertainment" (i.e. BR, competetive e sports).
APB should be more like WoW instead of CSGO, but whatever. (I don't like MMORPGs because of the gameplay, but having third person shooter gameplay combined with a vast world to do different things in like in MMORPGs would be my wet dream)

• Like 1

Inappropriate pool because you can read pinned thread about RIOT above.

17 minutes ago, wHisHi said:

Inappropriate pool because you can read pinned thread about RIOT above.

it's so much easier having feedback in a poll than reading through hundreds of posts and trying to summarize it... (especially for the community).
if they feel like deleting this poll, they can - I would understand.

• Like 1

maybe turfwar and plain BR... but when we actually have population

Voted for 4th option, for a reworking of Riot

To start off, waiting for match should not be. In a riot all players should be shootable at all times, so like the fc but peps would be shootable during off mission time, and or mutiple missions or matches going, so if i am rolling to a mission n come across another mission going, i could help that team on my way to my mission. 

Gun drops are real cool. 

Not having cars is a real pain in the patootie. 

i like the barricades and such that were added to the park and such.  

Rework riot so that all it does is new action district missions with new objectives instead of a poorly made battle royale. Launch riot missions if you're pledged to the riot contact. Also solves the population problem, especially on jericho.

1 hour ago, GhosT said:

Rework riot so that all it does is new action district missions with new objectives instead of a poorly made battle royale. Launch riot missions if you're pledged to the riot contact. Also solves the population problem, especially on jericho.

this is probably the best solution i have seen.

Great idea. Do RIOT missions if your pledged to the specific guy

4 hours ago, Snubnose said:

so people won't really return

Do you really expect people who have moved on to getting married and new families to have time to come back?

entirely new people have to be acquired somehow to have enough.

Sure I hope some of the ones who were here before come back but we are going to have to face it that it will take the means of attracting entirely new people to make APB grow.

how to get there is anyone's guess but we definitely need new types of content and game modes (along with fixes to APB that we all know about)