Lixil

RIOT Feedback

I think most if not all of the issues were already reported here and in other threads, some of the main issues being able to group up and buying personal primary weapons.

The following might seem quite negative, but it's my honest opinion and putting flowers on everything doesn't help, especially with the track record of APB (or more like G1), who have been making horrible decisions for a decade, both from a business and development standpoint.

I understand it's a beta, but picture it this way. We've had two OTW tests, with the exact same feedback we've been giving you guys now that it's officially released, and absolutely nothing has changed to the live build. You guys even went and said that you've received "positive feedback" in those tests, which we all know isn't true at all. I don't know why you've pushed it to live now, hoping you'd get more data or something? If anything, this is the first release of RIOT and thanks to that has now earned the reputation of being one of the worst game modes in APB yet, and fixing that isn't easy. There isn't even any incentive to play the mode considering there's absolutely no rewards other than one new weapon skin locked at level 5, with 4 levels below that unlocking absolutely nothing. Not to mention the grind required for level 5.

Then there's the population problem, especially on Jericho, which renders a battle royale game mode as unplayable due to not having enough players. Even Citadel out of peak times has trouble creating matches. I thought you guys learned that in the previous two district-wide missions. Not to mention that these mass-missions bring a lot of issues too, like player names not rendering, which is a fundamental feature in APB.

I don't know why you guys keep doing district-wide events and game modes, they're buggy, they aren't what APB should be, nor is it something people actually want.

Especially battle royale, which already earned a lot of negative feedback years ago when G1 announced that with their summer event, yet you guys still went through with it.

In my opinion RIOT in itself is an awesome concept, but making it a battle royale is what ruins it.

I think RIOT would have succeeded WAY more if it was built up like action districts with regular mission rulesets and a set of new riot-related missions. Mass-misisons don't work, especially not if one needs 16 players to even start a mission.

• Like 1

Waste of resources, shouldn't release stuff we dont need/want focus on the things we actually need. Listen to what the community wants and work around that then maybe the game wouldn't be so dead

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ashn said:

Waste of resources, shouldn't release stuff we dont need/want focus on the things we actually need. Listen to what the community wants and work around that then maybe the game wouldn't be so dead

^^

Listen to what community wants. If you want to bring APB back, do what we have been waiting for these years...

• Like 3

the way i see it is if there were going to be so much interest in BR style games with APB, and after all it has been evident that this was coming soon for a long time, where are the returning players who have been just itching for this type of thing in APB now that the BETA version is here and live? I see no influx of new or old player coming to try out RIOT. Looks like this has been a bad mistake for you LO. Maybe you should listen to your players and concentrate on what we actually want. Engine Upgrade, improved Servers and the other every day requests from the forum members and players of your game. Right now I do not see an increase in popularity for APB. Also FYI, the Steam Forums are also not exactly lit up with RIOT posts..

• Like 1

Hey!

Some feedback after playing RIOT for the past week.

First of all I'll say that its refreshing with something new other than missions or fight club. We've been stuck with the same game modes for 9 years now. RIOT is a very unique and fresh take on "Battle Royale".

I think RIOT offers a variety of options for players to strategize and choose how they want to play the match out.

Improvements that can be made

- Make Clothing Agent 3 as default modification for all players. Another solution for this could be to give players Med Spray with a 60s cooldown? (this may collide with the hazmat suit consumable, but im sure LO can find a way to work around it)

- Make HVR/PSR and Scout/Pathfinder spawns more rare.

- When a player dies, they should get spawns near "safe zones", not yellow marked areas. (this happens often)

- When a player dies, the game should find the closest spawn available to their teammate. (sometimes teammates can spawn on the other side of the map)

- Change the start time of a match (currently it is three minutes and it feels like three hours, lower this time to like a minute or something)

- Be able to purchase ammo for your loadout. (could add small ammo packs around the floor which can be purchased with cash perhaps?)

QoL Changes that can be made:

- Let players have their weapon skins once they purchase their own loadout.

- Let players see total kills of their team during the match.

- Let players be able to check what weapon their teammates have.

- "Auto-run" keybind, please.

Bugs/fixes

- Bank Truck at the end sometimes is elevating off the ground, makes people an easy target when shooting underneath.

- Bank Truck delivery circle is not fully centered with the truck. Which makes it possible to drop money while outside circle.

- Names of players appear through the truck, this happens every game on random occasions.

- Player names of teammates get stuck after they re-spawn from their death. (happens from time to time)

- Few locations have bugged spawns of either money/guns which are not possible to pickup.

Despite all the things I mentioned above, its still a fun little game mode.

- Exo

Edited by ExoticZ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, introlapse said:

In which battle royal mode you have big fat nicknames over enemy's in RED color ?????????????????????????????????

let it disappear for ever! 

Merged.

Stop losing time with this mode do not waste time with it! 

LO if you start to update the riot-mode every month it will be are never ending process.

Focus better on the engine upgrade and fix the Servers if you do not want to lose more players.

Imagine the conversation, trying to get a new player to join:

- So you should try APB. it's F2P and has RIOT mode.

- What's RIOT?

- It's like gas that shrinks the map and you have to stay alive

- So, you mean Battle Royale?

- No, well... yes... but.. the players have to like... arm devices which releases the gas and then bribe some driver to drive them out of there. And the gas is limited to city blocks, not a shrinking circle. But you can't just arm any device, you have to first find these codes that you enter, and you need a hazmat suit, plus you earn money and can buy weapons I think.

- huh? You mean I have to run around keeping track of all that?

- Well yeah, if you want to win

- But if I die, it's over so, last person wins anyways right?

- Well, you can respawn in the gas and you have to run and hope you don't die before you get out of it.

- ??? are you kidding me?

- No. But like, they are fixing it.

- What do you mean fixing it? I don't even want to play that. It's sounds like a chore and a mess.

- Okay then, but if you decide to try it anyway you should wait because it's not done yet and there are many bugs and bad features, plus it crashes for many people.

- Dude, I'm not gonna try that. It sounds horrible.

The conversation could have been:

- So you should try APB. it's F2P and has classic BR.

- OK, so just normal BR, and F2P?

- Yeah

- Cool, I'll check it out!

You need to understand how people are thinking, what people want. It's so basic!

Edited by SilverCrow
  • Thanks 1

I'm not going to dwell on the details and the technical aspects. Others do that way more competently than I. I'll just give my quick opinion after trying RIOT.

I've really been struggling with finding a suitable analogy. The best I've come up with (and it's flawed as fark), is that RIOT feels a little like semi sleep-walking while on an unhealthily high dose of non-stimulants in a post-apocalyptic deserted environment.

There's no ambiance at all. It's almost completely silent, there are no people and no cars. Almost no sensory input except stuff which intuitively does not make sense, so you semi-ignore it. You wander aimlessly around, not really knowing what to do, where to go. Annoying (Y/N) messages pop up once in a while, but you don't really know what to answer and what the consequences are. Does the toxic fog feel toxic? Kinda, but I think I have this suit... sometimes. Whatever.

The very best analogy might actually be, that this game mode feels exactly like the opposite of what a riot really is. I know that RIOT is an acronym, but I honestly don't think I could make this game mode feel less like a riot if I tried. And that is neither a /pop issue or a "bugs aplenty" issue. It's just... bland.

If RIOT was to have a threat "colour" like normal mission districts, it should be beige.

• Like 1

Well, I'm still not a fan of the gameplay style overall, this "Season 0" did seem to play a bit better than the OTW test.
Instead of constantly spawning in the middle of a firefight, I now spawn in with about 2-3 deadly zones to traverse before getting to a safe zone. Not particularly optimal, but better than OTW.

On the main gameplay side of things, I haven't much to add that hasn't already been said.

Biggest problems I had on the gameplay side is the rather intrusive UI, rather strange spawn locations, and slow standing gain. Though standing might just be because it takes ages to start a match up on Jericho.

And my undecidedness on the backstory has not changed since the OTW test. There's far too many unsolved questions, and missing details on both the Red Hill Institute of Technology and Lawrence Holland.

For instance, it'd be far more believable that this Red Hill Institute of Technology had started an actual, somewhat controlled, epidemic to force their "innoculation" plan into effect; rather than bringing in this, as far as I can see, entirely new character that "has been working behind the scenes for years", "used to live in San Paro", "was a mentor to mayor Jane Derren", and somehow gets this plan straight past the one person who'd be super skeptical of such a new, but somehow powerful, company.

On top of that, this newly introduced "Lawrence Holland" character is supposedly part of the "Old Money" Holland family, giving them even more of a reason to not be trusted from the mayors personal backstory standpoint.
Honestly, Lawrence Holland's whole backstory sounds like some really badly shoehorned fan fiction.
Stuff about being a "secret mastermind who pulls the strings", "a sort of unknown boogeyman", and then suddenly he "retires" and takes up a job for a startup tech company, deciding he needs to change San Paro by basically doing the same thing?
He could have quite easily been made into the "Old Man Holland" federal agent mentioned in LaRocha's bio. This would give him better alterior motives, as the feds are a faction controlled by forces outside of San Paro, lend him better credence with both Derren and Carter to push a plan like this, due to the association with the federal government and the position as head of the CSA training, and it gives room to explore what kind of toll running a CSA facility would have.
With a background like that, he wouldn't have needed to have somehow "mentored Jane Derren after her fathers death" to have some kind of leverage over her. Which I still don't see where he managed to fit that mentoring in, on top of his "over forty years" hush-hush government work, before Jane dissappears off to do foreign humanitarian work at age 21.
And why does he have an eye painted on the palm of his hand? Is it supposed to be because he's a super spooky spook who lives in the shadows behind the curtains?
And if it's supposed to be a tattoo, might want to push the opacity down a bit so it doesn't look like paint.

Even with all that, I still don't understand why this magical chemical has to be leaked by a G-King chemist and not just some regular/concerned/fanatical citizen chemist. Hell, one of the other gangs could have just stolen a shipment and released their findings. Because, lo-and-behold, there are other gangs in San Paro than just the Bloodroses and Gravity Kings. Gangs like "The Antoinettes", "Rollers", "Dead Hundreds", "The Liberators", and "Peace Union" are easy pickings. Could even tie in a larger gang like "Red Rain", seeing as though they're from the Midtown/Red Hill region.
There's even quite a lot of different in-lore blogs, news outlets, or magazines that could have been used to leak the information instead of just being "an expose on SPiN". Outlets like "Collateral Damage", "Chaos Theory", "No Rulez", "Takedown", "Street Power", "Justice Now", "N-Force", "Phaze", "2iP", "Daybreak", the list goes on and on.

Finally we get to the "RIOT Outsource Manager" herself. What is her purpose? Who are they? Why does their biography say the exact same thing as the "Red Hill Institute of Technology" organization bio?
Maybe some people don't realise that you can read about the Organization by clicking on its name in the progression tab, but why repeat it?
You could have had her bio read more about what their job is as an "Outsource Manager". Or had the organization bio outline the background of the actual "Red Hill Institute of Technology", and have her bio just tell the story of what led up to the whole RIOT mode.
But why just repeat the same thing?

Still not quite sold on the map changes too. I think it's creative the way that some destructible fortifications have been made, but there are still floating objects, broken textures, and odd collisions that still need to be fixed up.

And lastly, I still want to suggest that if this Red Hill Institute of Technology are going to hang around for as long a time as it sounds; their icons used for contacts should be redesigned in the style of current contact organization icons.
So the white/grey outlined style.
WdVmlIh.png
Even just something simple like the mock-up on the right.
Simply because their red and blue icon sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison.

Edited by Roxl
Spacing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i have more than 4000h in apb, means 1,5h for day in the last 7years.

My feedback is negative for a simple reason: THIS IS NOT APB:Reloaded.

1. Why there are not cars? Even in Beacon i can drive.
  2. Why i start with a toy gun when my arsenal is the reason for game is still alive?
  3. Contact is a masked guy with NO personality, NO lore immersion, Not even mentioned by any other contact. Look like a Mod of skyrim bad planned.
  4. The social is ruined , restore my fence and put the redhill priest near some disco.
  5. Riot is boring, also with a KeyofThecity as reward i prefer spend time in forum, Waiting some news about engine upgrade.
  6. Could works just as event mode, but have it as "new!" is like cut a pencil in middle and pretending that now there are 2 new pencils.

We have a lot of communication, but if the result is like G1 (zero listening to community) i prefer a static state ,  APB without surprises.

Just a suggestion: What APB have better and unique more than GTA or any other shooter?

Focus this, and dont think what APB doesnT have.

1. Put effort on Content, APB alone is a mesh/texture generator. We should have a new official item for week. 
  2. Mission in APB is a REAL cooperation between players, also the most noobie can find a role in a winning mission. 
  3. Toxicity spread= is a direct result of absurd district segregation. Remove this and some veteran could finally find another veteran in any district, not only in the dethreat's paradise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the "Premade groups with comms are too powerful" complaint: Well of course they are. This is a PvP MMO isn't it? Premades have an advantage over PUGs everywhere in the game and that's just the nature of online PvP. Get a clan or some mates if you're not happy (coming from someone currently not in a clan, btw).

Whilst I don't care for RIOT particularly, I don't want APB to get like Star Trek Online where everything was watered down to accommodate PUG play.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Queen of Love said:

i have more than 4000h in apb, means 1,5h for day in the last 7years.

My feedback is negative for a simple reason: THIS IS NOT APB:Reloaded.

1. Why there are not cars? Even in Beacon i can drive.
  2. Why i start with a toy gun when my arsenal is the reason for game is still alive?
  3. Contact is a masked guy with NO personality, NO lore immersion, Not even mentioned by any other contact. Look like a Mod of skyrim bad planned.
  4. The social is ruined , restore my fence and put the redhill priest near some disco.
  5. Riot is boring, also with a KeyofThecity as reward i prefer spend time in forum, Waiting some news about engine upgrade.
  6. Could works just as event mode, but have it as "new!" is like cut a pencil in middle and pretending that now there are 2 new pencils.

We have a lot of communication, but if the result is like G1 (zero listening to community) i prefer a static state ,  APB without surprises.

Just a suggestion: What APB have better and unique more than GTA or any other shooter?

Focus this, and dont think what APB doesnT have.

1. Put effort on Content, APB alone is a mesh/texture generator. We should have a new official item for week. 
  2. Mission in APB is a REAL cooperation between players, also the most noobie can find a role in a winning mission. 
  3. Toxicity spread= is a direct result of absurd district segregation. Remove this and some veteran could finally find another veteran in any district, not only in the dethreat's paradise.

I dont know why someone down-voted this. Is is exactly correct.

23 hours ago, Lixil said:

Hello everyone,

If you have any feedback regarding RIOT please post it here for easier information access, this feedback can help us improve this mode in the right direction. There have been many threads regarding this and we have been reading them.

Please bear in mind that the RIOT is in beta and that your feedback can help us a lot. Please try to keep this thread constructive and without spam.

#Bring Back LCR To JokerStore as Perm 8k tickets!!!

i agree with queen of love like we need more content like bro where tf my dragunov sniper at doe and i need a fresh fit for my gengster crim whats the deal morons u having hard time drawing up legendary blueprint in paint?? ahaha fr fr the new legendary box pretty lit doe i copped it last night doe got that new ntec7 its litness

1 hour ago, MrChan said:

Regarding the "Premade groups with comms are too powerful" complaint: Well of course they are. This is a PvP MMO isn't it? Premades have an advantage over PUGs everywhere in the game and that's just the nature of online PvP. Get a clan or some mates if you're not happy (coming from someone currently not in a clan, btw).

Whilst I don't care for RIOT particularly, I don't want APB to get like Star Trek Online where everything was watered down to accommodate PUG play.

Problem here is that Battle Royales usually have their own queues for groups, duos and solos, while APBs BR is just 4-man teams with randoms.

Now you could argue "but apex has forced 3-man teams", but apex is also a lot easier and you can hold your ground alone well enough.

Now for the "lol get friends" thing.

The main problem with this is the population. Everyone that's left is just their own private "clan" with their few friends, and no one else will get into that circle. There aren't really any clans left you could join, most people on discord refuse to play or even use voice chat.

It sucks when APB is in a dying state and all those people you've played APB with stopped playing it years ago, for understandable reasons.

3 hours ago, AsgerLund said:

I'm not going to dwell on the details and the technical aspects. Others do that way more competently than I. I'll just give my quick opinion after trying RIOT.

I've really been struggling with finding a suitable analogy. The best I've come up with (and it's flawed as fark), is that RIOT feels a little like semi sleep-walking while on an unhealthily high dose of non-stimulants in a post-apocalyptic deserted environment.

There's no ambiance at all. It's almost completely silent, there are no people and no cars. Almost no sensory input except stuff which intuitively does not make sense, so you semi-ignore it. You wander aimlessly around, not really knowing what to do, where to go. Annoying (Y/N) messages pop up once in a while, but you don't really know what to answer and what the consequences are. Does the toxic fog feel toxic? Kinda, but I think I have this suit... sometimes. Whatever.

The very best analogy might actually be, that this game mode feels exactly like the opposite of what a riot really is. I know that RIOT is an acronym, but I honestly don't think I could make this game mode feel less like a riot if I tried. And that is neither a /pop issue or a "bugs aplenty" issue. It's just... bland.

If RIOT was to have a threat "colour" like normal mission districts, it should be beige.

You hit the nail on the head there.  RIOT feels way too uneventful for its name.  The environment was set up nicely, but it suffers from the lack of audio needed to make the atmosphere believable.  APB is filled with environmental sounds that could solve this.  Distant explosions and gunfire, sirens, screams, it's all in the game's files, they just need to increase the frequency of those sounds by a lot to build a new soundscape for this mode.  Maybe even an Air Raid siren could go off a few times when the round starts?  A riot should be absolute chaos from start to finish and all the limitations of this mode, like no vehicles for example just make it more boring.  Imagine if those  burned out cars and some of the props like those big riot crates had physics and a team managed to get a couple of dump trucks, plowing through everything in the street potentially killing others by knocking the burned out cars into them.  Over the top crazy fun is what you would expect from a name like RIOT.

If I were to rewrite RIOT, my plan would be to remove the BR elements from RIOT, and turn it into territory control.  Turn the RIOT devices into capture points that you need to hack to claim.  Weapon pick ups could still be there, but remove the confusing mechanics like buying your loadout and asking if you want to buy your primary or secondary when you already have them.  Maybe there could be two timers.  One long timer for the round, and a shorter timer that would gas the block that has been captured for the longest, and that block would belong permanently to the team that dominated it.  I'd also get rid of the whole lives thing.  The current iteration of RIOT is just way too complicated for someone who just started playing the game, and even the veteran players at times.  Take SilverCrow's post here:

4 hours ago, SilverCrow said:

Imagine the conversation, trying to get a new player to join:

- So you should try APB. it's F2P and has RIOT mode.

- What's RIOT?

- It's like gas that shrinks the map and you have to stay alive

- So, you mean Battle Royale?

- No, well... yes... but.. the players have to like... arm devices which releases the gas and then bribe some driver to drive them out of there. And the gas is limited to city blocks, not a shrinking circle. But you can't just arm any device, you have to first find these codes that you enter, and you need a hazmat suit, plus you earn money and can buy weapons I think.

- huh? You mean I have to run around keeping track of all that?

- Well yeah, if you want to win

- But if I die, it's over so, last person wins anyways right?

- Well, you can respawn in the gas and you have to run and hope you don't die before you get out of it.

- ??? are you kidding me?

- No. But like, they are fixing it.

- What do you mean fixing it? I don't even want to play that. It's sounds like a chore and a mess.

- Okay then, but if you decide to try it anyway you should wait because it's not done yet and there are many bugs and bad features, plus it crashes for many people.

- Dude, I'm not gonna try that. It sounds horrible.

He's totally right about this.  RIOT is really hard to explain because there's so many moving parts to it.  If it was done the way I just described then it would be straight forward and easy to understand.  Plus territory control is something players have wanted for a long time.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Thanks 1

My feedback, that is going to be almost the same as everyone on this thread:

1- Rewards

I see no point on playing RIOT right now, not only because the only rewards are a weapon skin at Contact lvl 5 and some Joker Tickets after doing the achievements. But the reward after finish a game are so POOR, I won a game getting a lot of $ and kills and I got like 600-1300 APB$. I'm AFK a game and I get 200-1800 APB$. And lets not talk about not getting rewards at all, I have played games where I get 0 APB$.

I would increase the APB$ per game and also add something like 10-100 Joker Tickets based on how good you played or on team rank. Also adding more unlocks to the RIOT contact, but I guess this is already planned after the beta and the "season pass".

2- Spawn and respawn.

I can't understand how in a game mode where there are less than 40 players in 80% of the games that I have played my team has spawned next to other team. The map is not THAT small to this to happen.

The respawn is simply AWFUL, most of the time players respawn in the toxic zone hundred of meters away from a safe zone, and it doesn't matter how hard you run because you can't survive.

3- Hazmaz suit

Reduce the cooldown, just that. Right now you are only able to use 1 before die because of the long cooldown.

34 minutes ago, BrandonBranderson said:

He's totally right about this.  RIOT is really hard to explain because there's so many moving parts to it.  If it was done the way I just described then it would be straight forward and easy to understand.  Plus territory control is something players have wanted for a long time.

yea we all used to talk about territory control and we all decided it was going to be great when they get it done..

You just know that if the hold position was the gas canister things from riot and they we placed in spots around the maps and you had to capture and hold them for some kind of reward it would be shit hot.

Announce the position of an active canister thing as a warning in the UI and a timer until its active then a time left till its captured before it blows up or something similar. Now thats a RIOT!

Winner gets X amount of JT.

5 minutes ago, Seedy said:

yea we all used to talk about territory control and we all decided it was going to be great when they get it done..

You just know that if the hold position was the gas canister things from riot and they we placed in spots around the maps and you had to capture and hold them for some kind of reward it would be shit hot.

Announce the position of an active canister thing as a warning in the UI and a timer until its active then a time left till its captured before it blows up or something similar. Now thats a RIOT!

Winner gets X amount of JT.

That would be a great take on it too, kinda like a dynamic event, but it's constantly running in it's own district?

43 minutes ago, BrandonBranderson said:

That would be a great take on it too, kinda like a dynamic event, but it's constantly running in it's own district?

well i was thinking in general districts. You might not be in a mission at the time this type of event/mission starts so you can just jump right in. No teams, no factions, just chaos and a RIOT!

Spawns need to be fixed. Last match I played, I spawned in 380m away from the final safezone.

If you die early, it might even spawn you across the map away from your teammates.

Make the spawns always be within 100m of your teammates, or 100m of the safezone if you're the only player left in the team.

Another issue relating to spawns; If you spawn in the gas, the gas-suit is equipped automatically and the cooldown still applies.

This is a problem because if you spawn far enough away, you'll run out of gas-suit duration before you can get to the safezone and you'll either die in the gas or come running out into the open on low health and get shot immediately.

Spawning in the gas should not apply the cooldown on the suit until you use a second one.

Traveling is slow.

It would be nice if there were a couple of pedestrian cars scattered across the map that are undamaged that we can use.

But then the question arises; if there are working cars, why do we need to bribe the getaway truck? 

My solution would be to add a GA5 Can item that we need to pick up and use while in a car, and that would allow the car to work for 5 mins. That's enough time to drive to where you want, but just short enough that the car can't be used reliably while in combat.

An alternative would be to add an item that we can pick up that would work like the Epinephrine Injector consumable.

I'm actually enjoy the gamemode quite a bit, but it's hard to have fun when there's no-one there to even get a match started.. Perhaps when the battle-pass comes out and there's more incentive to play, it'll be more populated.

For the time being though, it might be impossible for most people to get the Yakuza skin just due to how little amount of matches are being played. Deal with that how you will.

1 minute ago, Helix Reloaded said:

For the time being though, it might be impossible for most people to get the Yakuza skin just due to how little amount of matches are being played. Deal with that how you will.

That's honestly the biggest problem I'm having with the mode currently. Knowing I won't be able to get the skin because there's simply not enough consistency in match spawns, it really demotivates me to even bother...

spawn near the white/clear zones instead of the yellow zones with 3 seconds left... 

I'm going to skip everything that's been said a thousand times (no, I didn't read the whole fucking thread) like that the mode needs to be aborted, and that it has a thousand issues, even though all of that's true. (Sidenote, it could be made into something not awful, but I doubt that will happen.) I will say though that you need to reduce the standing required to get to rank 5 with the contact or increase the standing gained, as the current requirement is absolutely ridiculous, especially when I can wait over half an hour during "prime" hours and not get a match: and there's no way I'm doing that on top of working a full-time job. Hell, let me buy it for $10 instead, 'cause I don't have time for that.

My number one complaint with RIOT is that the lore is fucking smart, and not only has nothing to do with APB but is entirely against it. It makes everything in the lore thus far a mockery. Here's a list of a few talking points:

1. Red Hill is a place, not a company, what the fuck is with you just naming the company "RedHill." That's like if there was a company just named Bronx County in Bronx County: that would never happen.  No, the company is not really named the RedHill Institute of Technology, because AFAIK RIOT is just a subsidiary of the company, (I could be wrong on this part,) and the site itself repeatedly just refers to it as RedHill. Also, it should be RHIOT, not RIOT TBH, just as a quick aside. If you replaced all references to RedHill with RIOT, I'd give up on this point.
  2. Uhmm. . . How is RedHill supposed to be getting away with this? Like, it's a fucking speshul plan. Here's how it plays out: RedHill takes over San Paro, then RedHill gets taken out by outside forces (if the police don't do something to begin with, because BTW, there are still cops in San Paro, and they're not even really that corrupt from what I can tell from reading the lore.) It's that simple, there's no other way to look at it, this isn't a superhero movie, the plot of RIOT mode is far stupider than anything else in APB lore.
  3. "It's been almost a decade since the City Security Act came into force in San Paro. . ." Uhmm. . . what? How about no, nothing has advanced in San Paro, as far as I'm concerned current APB can't possibly be more than a few years after 2010 when the start of the game takes place, given that A] technology and society has not advanced at all and B] a decade of civil war would have entirely destroyed San Paro, financially if nothing else.
  4. Both the Praetorians and Blood Roses care about money, but let's not forget that they both rich and are based on money in San Paro. Either the Torians or the Roses being basically bought out by RedHill is like if I threw you a twenty to burn down your house and you did it.
  5. On that note, most of the player characters in APB are millionaires at this point AFAIK, why are they fighting over a few thousand dollars? That's not even to mention that San Paro is generally espoused as being more about standing out and being a rockstar than becoming rich, and being hired as a pawn to destroy San Paro really isn't a very good way to be a celebrity.
  6. For all their faults, the Praetorians are still a largely moral organization. Remember Aletta Cadagan? Remember that her whole point, and what made her cool, is that her plan is so over the top that they have to hide it from even Teng himself? Aletta's plan makes sense to an extent, and yet Shadowstrike had to keep it hushed so that it didn't get shut down. . . and yet you think the Praetorians are going to throw in with RedHill? Teng, or better yet Shadowstrike, would personally make sure each and every Praetorian who worked for RedHill was killed as far as I'm concerned.
  7. Jane Derren was tricked into handing out the vaccine, and I don't think anyone thinks that she would support RedHill's plan. . . so. . . how did she not shut down RedHill after the G-Kings revealed their plan? Despite how insane her plan to save San Paro was, Jane Derren is without a doubt supposed to be purely good, and even the fact that she's implied to have given Holland a lucrative deal simply because he was her friend seems out of character.
  8. All of the in-game lore you made entirely skips the part where there are gigantic chemical diffusers everywhere? In fact, not even the A.R.G. lore covers how RedHill did a complete makeover to San Paro. . . I feel like there would have been some. . . uhh. . . resistance? You know, from the police, Tigers, Gs, Praetorians, citizens, and heck, the National Guard? The bios mention vaccines, not gas, in fact they just jump straight from saying the flu vaccine was revealed to be bad to "the common citizens fled."
  9. Which brings me to. . . who are we spreading this gas for in the game mode? Because literally everyone else has left. Really, who the fuck are we spreading this gas for beside ourselves? This reeks of TF2 lore, except it's supposed to be serious: we're literally just anti-aggressing opposing mercenaries for no reason.
  10. What happened to the G-Kings and Tigers? It's mentioned that they resisted, but that's it, like, how the fuck did all of this happen with them resisting? Especially when the Praetorians should have been resisting alongside them TBH.
  11. On that note, why can't you actually resist RedHill in the game mode? I personally have sworn never to activate a diffuser or whatever they're called, so there's that, but when the entire theme of the APB is supposed to be the complex play between good and evil as well as law and crime, how come you're basically forced to be evil in this game mode?
  12. Perhaps most importantly: where's Luke Waskawi in all of this? Waskawi's entire point is that he has unlimited money and nearly unlimited power, and all of this certainly seems to go against everything Waskawi has been doing all of this time. . . and yet. . . he just let all of this happen? This may well be the biggest shit on all of APB's lore, as it entirely destroys the mystique and buildup of APB's lore TBH.

. . . and that's basically just what I thought of off of the top of my head.

I get that you probably think people don't really care all that much about APB's lore, but APB is basically our home for many of us vets, and has been for about a decade. APB's lore is important for many reasons, but not least of which for creating the setting of the San Paro we all love. What you've essentially done though with RIOT is bought our home, come in, laid a steaming pile of shit on the rug, and then proceeded to spread said shit all over the walls while pretending your redecorating.

You're not expanding the lore, you're kinda' destroying something you either don't care about or don't understand.

TL;DR: I don't mind all that much if you keep the game mode, even if I think the whole season pass thing and blatant incentivizing of RIOT is bullshoot, but please strip the "lore" you made off of it, or at entirely rewrite it to actually fit if you're feeling ambitious (something more akin to the Anarchy districts wouldn't be bad.)

@NotZombieBiscuit Do you have anything to add?

(P.S. You use both "San Paroan" and "San Parian" in the same bio, I personally prefer the latter, but just don't use both in the same bio please, lol.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2