Lixil

RIOT Feedback

Some of the things may have already been mentioned by other community members in separate threads (shoutouts to @AlishaAzure for having probably the most organized post); here's my two cents.

The engine upgrade really should have taken priority over RIOT. I respect LO's decision to give us new content despite still being limited by the old engine -- however, I still believe that the best choice would've been making a beeline for UE3.5 and only releasing new content once the foundations are there.

That being said, I don't hate RIOT. Though I dislike the battle royale genre in general due to various reasons, I honestly enjoy LO's spin of the formula and I believe that, with enough improvements, RIOT could become a really enjoyable gamemode that I could honestly see myself playing more of once it's out of this beta state.

The thing that I enjoy the most is the strategic aspect that RIOT brings to the table. I like the idea of coordinating with my teammates whether we're ready to arm the device in our zone or leave it be for a little bit more. Similarly, I find it fun to quickly determine if I can make good use of the weapons I find or if I should leave them for a teammate. Another thing I enjoy is evaluating what I can allow myself to do with my money (for example, in regards to respawn fees; "will buying my weapon set me back too much to continue?" and all that).

This isn't a list of positives and negatives - these are mostly just disorganized ideas and things I want to mention (and which I could remember).

• The interface feels unintuitive, filled with unnecessary information. Also, for some reason "RIOT DEVICE ARMED" and "Zone Name" are split into two different messages showing up in the center of the screen; they could very well be merged together. The chat also gets filled with [Event] messages VERY quickly (I think picking up just one HazMat suit is two or three lines worth of text?).
  • The whole thing with using zone names would've been better if people knew where each zone is by name. I only know some of the names (I have an idea of where Gresty is, where's Havalynd, The Needles, Border, Merchant Park...) but some of the people I've played with have openly admitted to not knowing what any of these names mean. (Though, who knows, maybe this gamemode could encourage the players to learn the names of the zones?... 😉 )
  • The respawn location algorythm is notorious for not accounting for the actual safety of a respawn zone. If a zone has been armed and is at 2 seconds until the toxic gas is released, it will still be considered safe enough to let you spawn in it - which often results in being put too far away from a safe zone to survive the run there. Insult to injury if the safe zone ceases to be safe at just an unfortunate enough moment to ensure your death in the gas cloud.
  • Speaking of the gas cloud... it's VERY thick. I understand that it's meant to be obvious to the player that the zone is super unsafe, but as it stands, your vision is VERY limited when running out of the cloud, to the point where it's entirely possible to be shot to death by people outside of the cloud, who can see you clearly, but whom you could not even catch a glympse of.
  • This is not helped by the HazMat suit cooldown being so long. In my opinion, changes should be made to the HazMat mechanic - just as a discussion starter: the "mercy HazMat" you get right after respawning should not count towards a cooldown, so if you manage to snag another one, you should be able to pop it right away, and then have the cooldown kick in, to prevent people from sitting the match out in the gas cloud, popping one suit after another.
  • The gamemode likes to crash the game - but that's mostly the issue of the engine, I presume. All the more reason to get UE3.5 out.
  • Minor nitpick: the truck at the end of the match is labelled as "RIOT Evactuation Team" :V
  • EDITED IN: In my opinion, the ability to buy weapons from a Y/N prompt should be removed and only left possible through the fixed points in the district. I think making the weapons purchasable at theoretically any point (both in time and in the game's world) makes it a bit too easy to "smuggle in" the exact weaponry a given player will always feel the most comfortable with.

My ultimate opinion is that I can't say the gamemode is perfect, but I don't hate it either. I actually quite enjoy it.

...but if you want my honest opinion: please put the Engine Upgrade as the top priority and come back to improving RIOT once UE is out. We've waited for years for new content, we can wait a bit more. Tidying up the code, unifying all the versions, and fixing the old engine's issues will streamline content creation, maintenance work, releasing updates, and will hopefully improve the performance for those players who can't run the game without stripping its graphics down to the bare essentials.

Edited by MartinPL
  • Like 1

The re-spawn after death tends to be way too far into gased areas, and this makes it extremely frustrating. Chain deaths because the game screwed me over aren't fun.

I'm not sure I like the first respawn being absolutely free - I'd like to see you test the need to unlock the ability to respawn at all, maybe with RIOT cash, allowing players to then enjoy a free respawn and pay for subsequent ones

Speaking of respawns, might want to do more than double the cost each time. Third respawn at 2k felt a bit too easy to achieve.

Map feels too big even with all those areas closed off at the start. Consider having more zones gased at match start

Level Design tweaks are fairly lackluster. Ignoring limitations that prevent you guys from adding craters, damage, broken down buildings... some of the structures and damage you tried adding to the city don't really make sense

• Like 2

Why do you want feedback if you're not going to listen to it anyways? Most of the community doesn't like RIOT, but you keep working on it.
It's a waste of time and resources while you could focus 100% on the new engine.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It's complete garbage.  All of the polls in threads I've seen show something like <25% approval rate. That means that around 75% of players hate it. You should have spent that time fleshing out fight club or working on the engine upgrade.

Don't continue with it, it's not worth the time or money. It will kill this game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm pretty fine how the new mode is right now. Still I have some wishes.

3D Marker:

I would like to have 3D marker for items you can pickup/buy. Espacially for the items that allow you to buy your own weapons.
Those marker shouldn't be visible through walls and only on a short distance. In my opinon thats friendlier for new players. (Maybe even settings to disable it)

3CX1CUx.png    0GiYsdf.png

Vehicles:

To be honest I don't miss vehicles in riot mode but I would like vehicles in the "lobby" while waiting for the round to start. Either let people spawn their own cars or spawn some around the district.

A few seconds before the match starts just despawn them.

Hazmat suit:

I understand there is a cooldown for the Hazmat to prevent people from camping in contaminated zones so thats pretty fine. But sometimes you spawn in such a zone with the hazmat equipped. Mostly you die before you reach the safe zone. So I was thinking to try to just remove the cooldown once you spawned in such a zones and only give players a cooldown if they manually equip it.

And i think there are too much hazmat suits spawning around the district. Maybe reduce the amount a littlebit.

"PVP hot zones":

There could be special "events" spawning around the district which gives you special items. For example a police van that drops grenades or maybe you own weapon for free.

Here is a example:

1. Everyone gets a message that a swat truck stopped at a location marked on map.
  2. People run to it.
  3. First team there has to plant a bomb to blow open the doors. (The timer for the bomb takes some times)
  4. People fight for the truck.
  5. As soon as the bomb explodes special items drops like grenades or your own weapon.

teUB26d.png   uikVQkU.png

So you have to choose if you risk your life for special equipment that helps you in the end game or if you stay safe and do other stuff.

Start with less people:

Let RIOT start even with less people. It seems like mechanic exist to have a half contaminated district at begin. So because of low population issue sometimes let RIOT start even with less teams.

New Starter Weapon:

As I said before, I don't think FBW is the right choice especially for new players. There is a huge gab between a newbie and "pro" with FBW. Instead we need a weapon designed for that mode.

Link to the suggestion is here:

More Sounds:

I like that it's not quite anymore as in the first tests. But I still want more sounds for a better atmosphere. I will just link my old suggestion here:

• Like 4

My feedback

Before this starts I from the start of this topic do have a biased opinion on BR games I think in general they are trash but...

-This br gamemode has nothing to offer on the table, the excitement is low.

- the grind is too much (coming from other players not me because I've only played a total of 4 or 5 "Riot" missions. 
-The playable area in general looks like a mess, I've said it countless times, those barriers look ugly and spam placed onto the map, differentiation in models is a must, in apb reloaded mission district, you wouldn't normally I would say complain about any sort of details but since BR is based on exploring and finding things, the map is bland, models are awful, general placement of models/barriers are generally ugly and obiouiously ploped on there, 

EX: the barriers do not look natural at all, not even blended in with the environment in anyway.  
- The spawns are awful.

-Not enough variation in the map/mode/item pickups etc...

-The combat situations you do encounter aren't exciting.

-Bring back vehicles but not the overpowered ones.. and make sure your spawn placement isn't insane and cars everywhere.

Suggestions?

-------------

Adjust the hazmat suit somehow to make it more viable. (its a must)

Re-look at your design focus for how you want the map to look and feel gameplay wise, there needs to be a nice flow,
Add newer mechanics in the gamemode that apb just hasn't seen, EX: this is far fetched but a jetpack

4 man team.
-------------
We all knew this would be a problem.
Not everybody is with that tryhard wasp group right? (not dissing wasp love some guys over in there just using them as ex:) 

So basically if you don't have a team, playing this mode will not be enjoyable.
No options for solos, duos, that most "Popular" br games have

If you want this mode to thrive you've also got to look at how the br games are actually in a state of decline. and investigate on how you can make YOUR br game not decline. Good luck on that though. because yours is already on the decline and its going down pretty fast.

also vehicles

implement them in some way, maybe put only the shit tier cars no one ever uses, that would be enough honestly.

------
Edited
------

Edited by Doom32

1 hour ago, VanilleKeks said:

I would like RIOT to be put on hold and the resources used to develop it put towards the engine upgrade. Once we have the engine upgrade at a stable state, please re-introduce an improved version of RIOT as a seasonal event or something similar. I do not think having this as a permanent game mode is a good idea.

The cold hard truth, not that Little Orbit will ever listen.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hexerin said:

The cold hard truth, not that Little Orbit will ever listen.

Yeach, majority of us just want EU

i find it quite good tbh. its in beta and improvements can come on the way but so far so good.

We just need the population now, and looks like the UE3.5 is the only solution to that maybe

Instead of adding game modes to potentially bring in new players, how about yall fix the existing game that is unplayable most days with the constant server lag and unstable servers. I really like that you all are trying to add new things to the game and that's great an all but, we need to fix the game first before worrying about adding in anything new. Your top priorities should be getting the servers stable and working to get the new engine released because with the new engine, it will be an updated engine which means less loop holes for hackers to get through and bypass the anticheat, as well as hopefully better performance for everyone. I believe if you can get the game running smoothly people would be more likely to stay and play because they aren't constantly being lagged off the game. 

I'll be quick.

1. Bring back cars. If vets don't like running and have their shift key hammered down to the point that your finger hurts, don't expect new players to like it.

2. Spawn system needs a rework. Spawning 5 blocks away with no cars and getting slowly killed by the gas is annoying at best.

3. Make sure the rewards don't suck. Nobody is going to play RIOT for titles and skins. The rewards better be worth this mess.

Also as with everyone before me said. Engine Upgrade is the TOP priority. It was promised 6 years ago and there is only so much this community can tolerate. Focus on that first, then Matchmaking and Threat and finally RIOT. honestly, I'd just ditch this game mode and focus on racing district or a classic BR mode....

Be very careful about what you do LO. Choose your next move wisely. This community doesn't forget. Ball is in your corner.

Edited by Nickolai

6 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

have their shift key hammered down to the point that your finger hurts

I'm still waiting for Little Orbit to cater to overwhelming community request and add a keybind for toggled sprint.

EDIT: You know what, fuck it. @MattScott @Lixil @Selali

It's not like they'll actually respond anyways, despite it requiring pretty much zero dev investment to add.

Edited by Hexerin

I'm just really, really disappointed I can't get the skin on NA.
The population is too low to get the skin for me now.

Edited by Goabea

4 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

@Selali

he’s support staff

1 minute ago, Goabea said:

I'm just really, really upset i can't get the skin on NA.
The population is too low to get the skin for me now.

u should've done like i did kept playin riot for 3days straight when it cameout xd farmed everything

Just now, Glaciers said:

he’s support staff

Yes, and? He's still an actual employee of Little Orbit and has direct contact with the relevant parties. Welcome to how real life business works.

10 minutes ago, Nijavid said:

u should've done like i did kept playin riot for 3days straight when it cameout xd farmed everything

Alot of us don't have the time to spend grinding away in APB. Alot of us have school / jobs to tend to.
The population tanked after a week it came out on NA. We simply did not have enough people to keep this going for too long.

Edited by Goabea

8 minutes ago, Goabea said:

Alot of us don't have the time to spend grinding away in APB. Alot of us have school / jobs to tend to.
The population tanked after a week it came out on NA. We simply did not have enough people to keep this going for too long.

I saw you in that hellhole, you were clearly barely invested as I had no trouble whatsoever wrecking you (compared to the usual where you're usually a fun opponent to fight).

reinstalled apb:r to test the new event.

one word: boring. 

wouldn't waste resources on this game mode if i were you.

Shut down Riot, crims stole the green gas and Lawrence can't buy more, wrap it up and make a 3rd faction that fights both enfs and crims

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doom32 said:

My feedback

4 man team.
-------------
We all knew this would be a problem.
Not everybody is with that tryhard wasp group right? (not dissing wasp love some guys over in there just using them as ex:) 

So basically if you don't have a team, playing this mode will not be enjoyable.
No options for solos, duos, that most "Popular" br games have

I have not played RIOT yet, but have seen some feedback related to the 4 man group, and how this mode is geared towards

premade groups, and not solo players.

Probably the biggest reason why I have not tried it yet.

PUB groups in standard districts is usually a choir, so the most fun I have is usually Fight Clubs,

which can cater to both premades and solo players.

Not sure how viable or successful RIOT would be, if the matching was similar to FC.

Enforcers v Crims

Whether the cap for both sides is;

10 v 10

15 v 15

or as in current FC

20 v 20

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VanilleKeks said:

I would like RIOT to be put on hold and the resources used to develop it put towards the engine upgrade. Once we have the engine upgrade at a stable state, please re-introduce an improved version of RIOT as a seasonal event or something similar. I do not think having this as a permanent game mode is a good idea.

If they did that, other people would complain: "EnGiNE upGRaDe Is UseLeSS wiTHOUt nEw KhaNtEnt".

RIOT should be judged on it's own merits, not against the EU. Spoiler alert though: it hasn't got many.

1) Starter weapon: The FBW has too much of a skill curve. It's a peashooter in the hands of a newbie and hand-cannon in the hands of a veteran or a macro user. Whilst it is a big improvement on the snub nose in the sense that any reasonably decent player now has a notional chance of defending themselves on a pistol start, I think it might be worth trying one of the Nano variants.

2) Distances from riot codes on initial spawns. Considering you need these things to engage in the game mode early on and earn money, I shouldn't find myself 400m away from them one round and 80m the next. Cos I can only assume that the round where I was 80m away, someone else was 400m away and, considering you have to buy weapons and pay for respawns, started at a disadvantage.

3) Late game spawns. Spawning so deep in a gas field that you'll be hit with a minimum of 50% health loss is quite common which results in chain deaths as mentioned above. I could sort of accept that as part of the game mode, except other times I've spawned late on and easily gotten to the last area without damage. Like part 2, the issue is lack of consistency. Sometimes it fucks you, other times it doesn't.

4) This is subjective, but it's honestly kinda boring. I find I'm trying to sneak around and generally avoid getting in gunfights, unless I get the drop on someone, early on to store up cash for a late push. Let's say you've bought your primary and subsequently get killed - that's basically a loss of $1500, plus respawn cost, plus half your remaining money picked up by the opposition player. You might only get one more shot after that hit (esp. if you were 400m away from the nearest riot code at the start and had problems building money). So of course I don't want to start risking my neck until late in the round. With half the district probably thinking like this, there isn't a proper fight until right at the end.

tl;dr - I think it promotes a conservative play style.

Maybe the solution to that last one "Get good", cos I'm not exactly the greatest APB player ever to live, but if that's a problem for me, new players, who you are trying to attract with this, are in serious trouble.

Edited by MrChan

• Match start time too long (3 minute countdown) - cut time in half.
  • Enable vehicles before match, it's boring and quiet - give us something to do while we wait.
  • Disable being able to buy primaries/secondaries from the popup, only allow it in the RNG drops (Crates/Bags).
  • Add more variety in the drops, i've yet to see more than half the in-game weapons.
  • Change arming gas things to close off zones to a more traditional BR where zones close off automatically over time.
  • Fix respawns so that you're not trapped behind the gas for more than the duration of the automatic suit or disable the cooldown in that instance only so that you can put on another immediately after as necessary.

It is clear that alot of effort and thought has been put into this mode. Its more than just another battle royale mode, and i like the last stage where you drop 250$ at a time, so you have to stand near the van for longer. The mode is pretty fun if you play with a group.

If the bugs are sorted out and some adjustments are made (like the cooldown for hazmat suits the spawns), it could be a pretty solid alt. game mode. It is however not really building on the strengths of the game, so mission districts and improvements there should always be top priority imo.

one thing I can think of is that it's really difficult to see how much health you have when you're in a contaminated zone

it's already difficult to tell how much health you have in this game but it's extremely difficult with that green vomit all over your screen