VladIasi

Modding community for APB

Hi,

I've seen a lot of offline games and even online ones that offer such freedom to their players so that they can start modding the games(GTA V, Cities Skylines, BeamNG.drive) and I believe that APB should do the same.

I am not suggesting mods for the online game, but a launch of an offline version of APB so that players can come up with ideas for the developers themselves and even help with certain projects.

Even more, if there are good modders, they might even get hired by LO to get APB to where you want to get it.

• Like 4

Being able to mod offline version will cause private online version

Hello

I have moved this topic to the Game Suggestions section.

- Mina_

qiMRJiT.png

I would love this idea. But for the reasons of it being a safe-house back up if APB ever goes offline, I'd love to just keep my characters and still derp about making symbols and clothing that no one will continue to ever see. 

Buuut to hijack this - why not let the community mod APB, but not in a crazy way like GTA/Skyrim. Why can't we contribute to APB's true customisation?

What I'm saying is, to me APB is about customisation and it has a ton and people do so much awesome work with what we have, but there's still more. 

For instance - let's say a small but sexy group of players wants to bring the REAL "Old Glory" into APB? but this stuff takes time and LO ain't got time for making what is essentially another "useless" reskin. But some would like to run around with Russia's second greatest gift to weaponry - so why not let the community out source this themselves and then submit it to LO for integration into the game. 

I'm talking simple reskins here - I'm not advocating people being able to import pistols that shoot nuclear missiles. I'm talking about picking a gun that's functionally similar to the gun you want in the game and then saying "Hey LO, I made this reskin for the N-SSW, how about it?" and then LO does it's due diligence to make sure it's all good and ports it in. They use the same stats and technical crap as existing assets, but they just look a little different to scratch that customisation itch some of us get.

We get a little bit of extra customisation and LO saves time on having to make it themselves and gets a tidy profit from ARMAS too. 

It doesn't have to end with guns too. 

There is a whole massive Wish List of non-combat related items we'd love to be added to the game. Some as simple as giving Cop Shirt to female characters, tiny things that only a small audience want but will still take time and effort on LO's behalf but if we can outsource this to the community, the boundaries of customisation are endless. 

Think Steam Workshop but for APB.

Edited by KnifuWaifu
  • Like 1

Should have been done years ago.

We would have  new maps and everything galore.There are lots of talented people who just enjoy doing it, let them and give them a little kickback.

• Like 3

• GTA V has a singleplayer story mode; modding is only "allowed"/greyzoned for this mode only
  • Cities Skyline is a singleplayer sandbox building game
  • BeamNG.drive is a singleplayer sandbox simulation game

All the games that you mentioned are singleplayer games with sandboxish features. You are supposed to do shenanigans and have mods to support this.

APB, however, is a pure PvP game with a matchmaking system and modding is out of place here. And considering the currently low population, additional custom servers that allow mods wouldn't make any sense.

Edited by Ai-Zhú
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ai-Zhú said:
  • GTA V has a singleplayer story mode; modding is only "allowed"/greyzoned for this mode only
  • Cities Skyline is a singleplayer sandbox building game
  • BeamNG.drive is a singleplayer sandbox simulation game

All the games that you mentioned are singleplayer games with sandboxish features. You are supposed to do shenanigans and have mods to support this.

APB, however, is a pure PvP game with a matchmaking system and modding is out of place here. And considering the currently low population, additional custom servers that allow mods wouldn't make any sense.

Arma 3 anyone?

Americas Army used to be great and did this. Then they updated the game and it's small map boredom now.

Original Battlefield was phenomenal and in many ways the series is a step backwards now.

• Like 1

Mod community kept Battlefield alive for years. Same goes for GTA. If there was not support for this GTA4 and 5 would never exist down the line.

The community hosted GTA5 modded servers are what made sell and keep selling this originally piece of shit game.

Soon as the companies shit on their consumers and mod community the very same franchise of theirs became dead or went to the direction that you can call it dead.

Gaming in general came to the point where back in the 90s we were happy to call ourselves gamers and in the passed 10 years what majority of the companies and "gamers" are doing many just don't want to be associated with it anymore or simply quit. Because it's too big of a strain.

It's time for a huge restructure and change for the better. Because this zombie state isn't going anywhere.

Edited by Timobelk
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 3:49 AM, VladIasi said:

I am not suggesting mods for the online game, but a launch of an offline version of APB so that players can come up with ideas for the developers themselves and even help with certain projects.

Even more, if there are good modders, they might even get hired by LO to get APB to where you want to get it.

Wishful thinking. The only modding I can ever see for this game would be similar to what ESO has which is UI mods

First of all, nice necro posting.

As for the idea itself: Never going to happen for a huge variety of reasons, all of which boil down to "this is an MMO." Modding in games with only online interaction is incredibly rare for very good reasons. You either need to allow private modded servers (as stated before, will never happen) or have a central distribution network, which opens a huge can of worms in regards to moderation. Not only will you need to stop trolls from making various rude things, but also stop people from uploading and using copyrighted content.

Then comes the difficulty of how APB's systems work and how you need very specific tools to many anything for APB. And things made using other tools cannot be easily converted because of just how particular APB's systems are. This goes for everything from guns to clothing to cars

• Like 3

The only way I see something like this to work is a separate tool client for creating models, textures and etc. 
I mean doing something new in it to submit on a community vote or directly to devs to decide, Basically something like Valve with CS:GO or Warframe devs were choosing fan made  skins in their workshop to add later into the game.
We could have something like that, would be a win - win, since it gives LO free labor XD

• Like 1