BrandonBranderson

Old details that have been lost to time [Image heavy]

This thread is more or less kind of a reference for visual details that have been removed or changed over the years.  Or for nostalgia.  If I forget anything, or if I'm wrong about something then post it below.

Another reason I'm posting this is because I don't know how familiar the current team is with the old game, and I hope that they at least use it as a reference for the night time visuals if they rework them for 3.5.

High Quality "Star" Bloom

On the left is the normal blobby bloom that we're left with nowadays, on the right is the high quality bloom.

81eEx.pngfFeHDo1.png

Tire Smoke

A few years ago, G1 decided to remove most of the smoke that tires would kick up when drifting or doing a burnout.  They claimed it was to improve performance, but like most of their optimization efforts, it didn't make a difference.

mqdefault.jpg

Bullet Tracers

Removed "temporarily". -said G1.

nyKQSnm.jpg

Blue Muzzle Flash

G1 claimed it caused conflict with the weapon skin system they had just implemented.  But a dev had later teased at possibly bringing them back and potentially with more colors available.

4k7jgn4.jpg

Old Login Screen

Needs no explanation.  Behold its beauty.

Clouds used to be more visible

Now they are mostly obscured by bloom which makes them a lot harder to see.  You can barely even tell they move anymore.  There's certain times of the day though where bloom decides to stop working properly and the sky can be seen better.  

-Edit-

These first few pictures are of RTW vs Current.  Night time was WAY too bright in RTW.

l07KQXr.jpgq8YyXGf.jpg80ab19bdaf6cca546c78224fe26df443.jpg

Minor weather changes

There used to be a chance for each day to either be clear or cloudy and overcast with heavier fog and over all more grey.

APB_Reloaded_2.jpg.jpg2011-12-09_00003.jpg

Light Pollution

Yeah, it's that one that I always complain about it being changed.  Couldn't go without mentioning it.  Really it's just orange tinted fog, but at one point they decided to make night darker by turning the light pollution black.  You know, because cities absorb and trap light, not emit it.

apb-reloaded-v191-2011-pc-rus_4.jpg5528257510_42e8d6e2b3_b.jpgGame+Tips+And+More+Screenshot+-+APB+2011maxresdefault.jpg

Driving camera sway

The camera used to have a little bit of weight to it when driving and would provide a better sense of speed.  It was a very subtle effect, but it was nice regardless.  G1 doesn't seem to know that this effect existed because when people reported it, they said the video provided was edited.

Depth of Field

APB was one of the only games I've seen where DoF was actually done right and wasn't extremely strong like you have cataracts, however it did have a big problem that when the camera got to close to your character it just became a blurry mess.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
Added some info. Forgot DoF.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I really loved the old login screen!😥

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Vanten said:

I really loved the old login screen!😥

me too..loved the music as well. REally set the mood.

• Like 1

I'd like to see shorter spawns like on the last video again...

Why are are these graphics better looking than the current ones, aren't they supposed to be older ? 😓

Just saying but the ones conflicting with the skin system were Blue muzzleflashes, not tracers

Hopefully we can see most (if not all) of these return with the Engine Upgrade™ in the future. We've already got confirmation on tracers, abut tire smoke and environmental effects would be nice too...

What a shame, game has been dumbed down and butt raped only to look worse and get worse performance. 

I had high hopes for LO. 

They have already dropped the ball several times, got dogshit on it, popped it then lost it. 

Old Login

Blue Muzzle Flash

Old Shaders

Tracers

that is all I want

26 minutes ago, Nitronik said:

Just saying but the ones conflicting with the skin system were Blue muzzleflashes, not tracers

Thanks for the correction!  I'll get that fixed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clandestine said:

Oh boy I so wish we got that fog back. 

That's what I think I miss the most.  The game just looks so dead at night now.

made my character ... server went off .. so no clue how rtw was ..

58 minutes ago, PrincessMimi said:

Why are are these graphics better looking than the current ones, aren't they supposed to be older ? 😓

The dev in charge of the visuals came in to work late a few too many times so TechMech confiscated his retinas.

7 minutes ago, BrandonBranderson said:

That's what I think I miss the most.  The game just looks so dead at night now.

Looks so devoid of atmosphere. Old APB had much flatter color LUT (if I remember it correctly) but at the same time it had correct vibe and was much less eye fucking.

honestly dont get the nostalgia about blue muzzle flashes

i understand they were meant to signify a modded weapon but with how the game worked under g1 it just meant nearly everyone had blue muzzle flash for basically no reason - turning it into a bizarre design aesthetic rather than a rare hint for the more observant player 

gimme that perfect light pollution tho, i hate that basically every game set in a city has a beautiful starry night sky when it just doesnt make sense

Edited by Glaciers
typo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

i understand they were meant to signify a modded weapon but with how the game worked under g1 it just meant nearly everyone had blue muzzle flash for basically no reason - turning it into a bizarre design aesthetic rather than a rare hint for the more observant player 

gimme that perfect light pollution tho, i hate that basically every game set in a city has a beautiful starry night sky when it just doesnt make sense

I get the nostalgia behind it, but the  blue flashes wouldn't work well in the current game.  I think now they would work better as a customization option with special skins or something.  I just felt they were worth including since they are a visual flare that had been removed and someone would probably mention it if I didn't.

And I see you there Mr. Scott :3  2KCPRO9.png

Edited by BrandonBranderson

4 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

i understand they were meant to signify a modded weapon but with how the game worked under g1 it just meant nearly everyone has blue muzzle flash for basically no reason - turning it into a bizarre design aesthetic rather than a rare hint for the more observant player 

If we are talking muzzle flashes I would see no point unless they would change depending on mods present on a weapon and then average the colors while multiple mods are equipped. Or it could be changed with a hue slider but I'm not too sure about that as some may not like it and I'm torn tbh.

Edited by jerycho

Just now, Glaciers said:

How about customizable muzzle flash colours? fc4b2c95e6.png

9 minutes ago, Acornie said:

How about customizable muzzle flash colours? fc4b2c95e6.png

yeah thats just what apb needs, some cat eared freak hopping out of an anime tiddy covered mikro blasting pink fire from their nfas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was gonna count all the old bugs, and how much i miss em (SHAW-OPGL being my favorite one)

I don't get the hype about blue muzzle flash... I think it looks stupid... something that would fit into a sci-fi game where you shoot futuristic laser / plasma weapons or whatever... but not APB, where you use conventional weapons...