7 hours ago, Soundwave2142 said:

I tried googling what you said and found no confirmation, so I assumed you just being sarcastic. 

Source maybe?

tbh there probably is no source now that the old forums and old abpdb have both been nuked

the threat system is fundamentally fine, it’s based on the same glicko rating calculation that csgo uses - if i had to change one thing it would be to alter global threat calculation from static (anyone can be any threat, regardless of other players) to dynamic (only a certain percentage of active players can be a certain threat)

matchmaking is also fine there’s just not enough players in a district to always get even matches, but changes to the district system are already planned for the future 

6 hours ago, Soundwave2142 said:

What difference does it make if I'm not completely aware of how system works if it doesn't work as it should.

6 hours ago, Soundwave2142 said:

Maybe try explaining why I should learn how actual threat system works and how knowing of it's formulas defines end result wich me as well as plenty more people are not happy with and then maybe you'll be worth listening to.

your ignorance (willing or not) of the underlying mechanics behind these systems has led you to make poorly thought out suggestions 

• Like 1

How threat is calculated:

FF4Xtw6.png

How threat is currently distributed:

yFIi3VG.jpg

...carry on

• Thanks 1

You are not alone with this problem, there are plenty of people who just don't play anymore because they are tired from bouncing between silver/gold

Sadly there's no population to make more skill brackets and fill them so the only solution will be Engine Update and cross-district matchmaking.

And to the guy who's saying there are sub skill threats like bronze 1, 2 etc - he's talking with his patootie. 

1 gold = 2 silvers, 1 silver = 2 bronzes. So I've had times that I'm solo against like 1 silver and 2 bronze players.  

Silver district can be hell for some people with all the "high skill" players and cheaters.

Pretty sure Matt Scott acknowledged the threat system is partially responsible for the dethreating this is why they don't ban people for that although it's supposedly against the rules.

7 minutes ago, Sayori said:

And to the guy who's saying there are sub skill threats like bronze 1, 2 etc - he's talking with his patootie. 

1 gold = 2 silvers, 1 silver = 2 bronzes

The fact that you have played so long and remained so poorly informed baffles me. 

13 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

The fact that you have played so long and remained so poorly informed baffles me. 

Please provide some sort of evidence to prove I'm wrong because from years of playing I've noticed if I end up doing solo mission I'd be consistently be put against 2 silvers. or 1 silver 2 bronzes, 1 gold, the pattern persists no matter what is my team size.  This is of course perfect case scenario which is not always but it always tries to be even.

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

[image]

this may have been how threat was distributed immediately after the last major threat rebalance which was like 4 or 5 years ago iirc

in the meantime threat inflation has had free rein to fuck up the bell curve

1 hour ago, Sayori said:

1 gold = 2 silvers, 1 silver = 2 bronzes. So I've had times that I'm solo against like 1 silver and 2 bronze players.

28 minutes ago, Sayori said:

Please provide some sort of evidence to prove I'm wrong because from years of playing I've noticed if I end up doing solo mission I'd be consistently be put against 2 silvers. or 1 silver 2 bronzes, 1 gold, the pattern persists no matter what is my team size.

as i said earlier the "evidence" is likely gone since the old forums and apbdb sites are no longer available, but it makes far more sense that the old 1-10 threat levels were hidden than a switch to only 4 different threat levels

the reason you get unbalanced matchups like that is because the system is forced to work with the available players - if you have to divide a penny, nickle, dime, and quarter as evenly as possible you end up with 16 cents on one side and 25 cents on the other, not much you can do about it other than wait (potentially forever) until you get another quarter

1 hour ago, Sayori said:

Pretty sure Matt Scott acknowledged the threat system is partially responsible for the dethreating 

iirc this was in the context of "because the system allows dethreating and it shouldnt", not because the system forces dethreating for fair play

Q: What will you be doing to tackle dethreating, and if so how? And will there be changes to the threat system?

A: This is definitely one of those systems that fall under the “Critical Mechanics” segment earlier. The threat system has to be altered at a minimum, or if necessary, scrapped and started over. There’s just a fundamental flaw at tracking your progress over such a short timeframe. To be able to bring your threat down quickly should not happen, and should take much much longer. We see this as an exploit in some ways, if it is an exploit it should be dealt with. If there’s an exploit then it should be on us to fix it. Shame on us for leaving the exploit in for so long, that it has a name and people can look it up.

Edited by Glaciers
typo

8 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

yFIi3VG.jpg

That bell curve would be accurate if there was a healthy playerbase

APB doesn't have a healthy playerbase, and there's close to an equal amount if not the same amount of really good golds compared to the silvers, and this is whats causing some of the problems.

23 hours ago, Goldtiger said:

This

But NOT this

Becoming Gold is way too easy. We've already had a period of time in APB where Golds were strictly segregated to their own districts, and things were CHAOTIC. I remember not playing the game at all while that was change was active. We do not want to repeat the same mistakes.

The problem itself is both the matchmaking and the threat system. In reality, there are 3 types of Golds: The Highly Skilled, the Average, and the 'Fake' Golds. I feel like the threat system does an awful job at separating the 3 from each other. I feel like things would be better if greens/bronzes were "merged" together as similar "skill level" into the Green Threat, Silvers were put at Bronze Threat, 'fake golds' were put at the Silver Threat, and the Average players were put at Gold. As for the "Highly Skilled", I think a threat above Gold (maybe Diamond Threat), should be added for them. This WOULD NOT fix all the problems that are currently set in stone, and would probably divide the community even more, but it would definitely classify the skill levels of players more accurately. Cause' as it stands, Green is a useless threat that dethreaters only really use (honestly), and Gold is way too normal for all sorts of players. In hindsight, the best way to clear any issues to do some sort of server-wide matchmaking (as Matt Scott described a while ago), and tweaking the algorithms to search for, as close to, an 100% fair pairing.

The fix isn't as simple as you think, but there are MANY fixes that they can try that for some reason all the veterans of the game are too afraid to try. I don't think they should go by the "TRY ANYTHING" mentality, but they should be trying out some things that will make things better than what they are right now.

As for pleasing the Gold population, I am right here with you on that. There are some diehard golds that make it clear that they will NEVER leave the game. Though I don't fall in that category necessarily, I will always end up coming back to it... I'm pretty sure a lot of Gold Vets are like that. So they need to stop focusing on pleasing us and focus on pleasing the new players so that this game can grow again. They need to start asking what new players don't like about the game or wish was different about the game. Though veteran players will say they'd be speaking ignorantly, finding out why people aren't wanting to continue playing the game is the only way you can revive the game. Don't keep trying to fix what isn't broken. The Gold population will be here, it is the others that you need to be trying to convince.

~~

You're on a damn forum, why the hell wouldn't you. It bugs me that so many people are able to post things that do not at all contribute to the discussion. (not trying to throw shade on the moderation)

This is very true, but you do not need to be gold to give a valuable opinion on the state of the game and on what needs to change.

This is true, however the difference is that APB is definitely more lenient about threat level than R6/CSGO, and R6/CSGO has a much bigger population. Additionally, the matchmaking in APB can be rather inconsistent, as you can still go up in threat if you lose and can still go down in threat if you win.

This entire post is completely toxic, I don't even think I need to explain why 🤣

What if your opinion is shit?