demonoid

Out of memory crash upon dieing

Its happened to me several times now the past few days since I got back to playing. Randomly when I die and go to the respawn map, I'll get a little error message saying out of memory. Its completely random, as sometimes it'll happen within the first 30 minutes of playing or after 3 hours.

My PC specs are as listed:

Windows 10 pro

Z390 series mobo (Alienware Area 51m laptop)

Intel i7 9700k @ 5ghz

64GB of DDR4 @ 2400mhz

Nvidia RTX 2080

1920x1080p resolution @ 144hz (G Sync)

If I get a chance to get back in game here soon I'll screenshot it if/when it happens.

Wish I had that rtx, Also, same problem, My PC specs are Core i9 9990k, 32 GB ram DDR4, Nvidia GTX 1070 ti, 2560x1440 resloution.

Because the current old outdated engine is a resource hog it can cause this no matter what hardware anyone has.

The engine upgrade that Little Orbit is working on is nearly completed and should help with this.

When I used to get this error I updated my drivers and firmware as well as used CCleaner to clean my computers temp and junk files and I don't get this anymore.

Other than all of that I don't know sorry.

@demonoid and @blockblack

there is one way you could solve this but its untested on RTX Graphic Cards

TheMaoci tested this on his PC only and i tested this on mine and its working like a charm i have AMD+AMD setup he has AMD+NVIDIA

what to do?
go into APBEngine.ini and BaseEngine.ini
lines around 80-100

DEFAULT:

TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects=60
GarbageCollectionMemoryCeilingGb=9.9

EDITED BY THEMAOCI:
TimeBetweenPurgingPendingKillObjects=60 /* it determines how fast the function of clearing ram will happend i have it set to 1800 */
GarbageCollectionMemoryCeilingGb=3.0 /* this determine then it should to force clear ram - last resort if this not work it will crash the game above 3150 MB or RAM usage */

but most likely graphics settings you use ingame are too high try to use AAPBL with some lower configs

EDIT: forgot to mension this i uses " -NoVerifyGC" command in APBprogram shortcut

Edited by TheSxW

Good, Now if you know what the problem exactly is, Then go and report it and it will be fixed in the next update.

Well I could give it a try but the crashes are pretty random. Sometimes I can play 3+ hours no problem, and others I'll crash repeatedly within the first 10-15 minutes. It only ever happens to me upon dieing, and going to the respawn screen. Game will immediately freeze and the error will pop up.

@blockblack -> maoci is talking with matt all the time and he reports it directly to him as i heard

@demonoid -> check RAM usage of APBprogram in task managed ( advanced tab ) - its most likely crashes after it reach something close to 3150 MB of ram usage sometimes it jumps to 3300 MB
u can try window mode with task manager in background (so u can see the ram usage on the fly) or second screen and checks the ram usage. Im not sure about it but the function clearing ram overtime "each 60 seconds" by default is broken in RTX drivers but im not so sure about it. and the second function is setted to 9.9 GB so it will never works. Respawning player increase RAM usage by 70-180MB each respawn but at older machines a clearing functions works quite good so its clears half of it or even more, each respawn.

so to be crystal clear:

- make sure u can see ram usage of specific process. In this case APBprogram
- check what happend b4 crash / playing or just driving on map / dying and checking what happends / making missions should speed this up ;) / waterfront district will make it faster too

PS. crashes arent random, they are depends on how fast game will load things into your RAM, if u will ALT+TAB from fullscreen etc. It's all connected to each other.

I'll see about monitoring it next time I'm on, and see if that's the case. All in all having all the latest gen hardware is probably what's screwing me over, because on my old desktop sitting at home I didn't have this issue.

My old desktop hardware was

I7 3770k Ivy Core @ 4.6 GHz

Z90 Asrock Mobo

GTX 660 TI upgraded to GTX 1060 6GGB

32 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz (if I recall correctly)

Windows 10 Home

Never gave me any issues on it, my laptop on the other hand runs the game at 144fps everything maxed no problem. But of course I crash periodically..

Whatever the case I'll try monitoring it and see if I can see what's going on like you said.

Hopefully this evening I'll get a chance to get on, had some issues trying to monitor it so far. Got the crash a few times, but obviously when I tried to Alt/Tab or Windows out of the game it wouldn't let me. So next step I'm going to get RTSS setup to run with MSI Afterburner, and hopefully that will help. Wish there was something I could use to monitor the resource usage of an application over time, like on a graph or something. I'll have to do a little searching and see if I can find something. Maybe I can find something useful over at GamersNexus.

5 hours ago, demonoid said:

Hopefully this evening I'll get a chance to get on, had some issues trying to monitor it so far. Got the crash a few times, but obviously when I tried to Alt/Tab or Windows out of the game it wouldn't let me. So next step I'm going to get RTSS setup to run with MSI Afterburner, and hopefully that will help. Wish there was something I could use to monitor the resource usage of an application over time, like on a graph or something. I'll have to do a little searching and see if I can find something. Maybe I can find something useful over at GamersNexus.

BE blocks RTSS ...

9 hours ago, TheSxW said:

BE blocks RTSS ...

No it doesn't (not on my end at least)

5 hours ago, itsRby said:

No it doesn't (not on my end at least)

maybe it blocks not updated ones ? hmmm strange

my friend got something like this ...

17:39:07: Starting BattlEye Service...

17:39:12: Launching game...
17:39:24: Note: File blocks can be ignored if they don't cause problems with the game.
17:39:24: [INFO] Blocked loading of file: "P:\RivaTuner Statistics Server\RTSSHooks.dll".
17:39:24: [INFO] Blocked loading of file: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OldNewExplorer32.dll".
17:39:33: [INFO] Blocked loading of file: "P:\RivaTuner Statistics Server\RTSSHooks.dll".

OldNewExplorer => StartIsBack for windows 10

Edited by TheSxW

RTSS worked just fine for me last night when I was setting it up. I also had windows resource monitor running in the background as well. Though when I popped into Waterfront last night I was getting some frame stutter for some reason. I'll have to get back on tonight and see if it happens again. I did crash again with the out of memory error when I tried to hop over to Asylum. Having a pain trying to monitor the exact RAM usage of APB though. Usually sits at around 2,600 Mb to 2,800 Mb, and my Vram usage is about 1,900 Mb to 2,100 Mb. Really wish I had a second screen, I may have to try it in windowed mode. Trying to catch the Memory usage at the moment of/before a crash, and it's being a pain in the butt.

At least I'm starting to figure out how to use all these different monitoring applications. Now I just need to keep a closer eye on what's going on.

12 hours ago, demonoid said:

RTSS worked just fine for me last night when I was setting it up. I also had windows resource monitor running in the background as well. Though when I popped into Waterfront last night I was getting some frame stutter for some reason. I'll have to get back on tonight and see if it happens again. I did crash again with the out of memory error when I tried to hop over to Asylum. Having a pain trying to monitor the exact RAM usage of APB though. Usually sits at around 2,600 Mb to 2,800 Mb, and my Vram usage is about 1,900 Mb to 2,100 Mb. Really wish I had a second screen, I may have to try it in windowed mode. Trying to catch the Memory usage at the moment of/before a crash, and it's being a pain in the butt.

At least I'm starting to figure out how to use all these different monitoring applications. Now I just need to keep a closer eye on what's going on.

as far as i know OOM error shows up if "normal" ram extends ~3100 MB (big B stands for byte), it must somehow extends ram usage over your averrange 2600-2800 MB

using windowed mode with 1024x768 and other staff arround the window will help you out
best setup is:
Windows Task Manager with displayed APB usage
Afterburner table With Ram, CPU,GPU usages and fan speeds + temperature
that should fit.

ps. i stop playing APB but i can record something in free time (if i even find some ...) and eventually shows how game performs on my PC

8 hours ago, TheSxW said:

as far as i know OOM error shows up if "normal" ram extends......

I'll give that a try this evening. Though practically halving my resolution might end up reducing my memory usage. The only real pain is doing this on a 17" series laptop is going to make everything tiny lol. But so long as it's just for testing purposes I should be fine. ResMonprogram works pretty good for monitoring memory usage too, although it's impractical for me to use the graphs as a 400-600 Mb blip with an overall memory of 64 GB doesn't even show hardly..

Any who, I'll give it another go.