Fenton

Community standards of behavior.

Is it just me, or do people in the APB community have a really poor attitude to other people in the community?

I've seen slurs directed against assumed race, gender, sexuality, virginity, mental capacity, place of origin and religion. Even if these don't offend me personally, I expect more of a supposed adult community and I have been continually disappointed.

Is it worth asking Gamers First/Little Orbit to police the community?  

Should we all switch off our chat, close our eyes against the Nazi symbols and hum really loudly?

Are we even capable of policing our own community and expecting better things of ourselves?

Discuss.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

APB is a highly salt inducing game.

A lot of people use that to their advantage and make people even saltier by behaving like overagressive children.

//Edit: Not to mention that this game is now very old, and a lot of people think they're above the rest because they've been playing for a long time.

Edited by GhosT
edit
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

pvp with a (un)healthy dose of rng results in excessive salt, not really surprising imo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fenton said:

Is it just me, or do people in the APB community have a really poor attitude to other people in the community?

I've seen slurs directed against assumed race, gender, sexuality, virginity, mental capacity, place of origin and religion. Even if these don't offend me personally, I expect more of a supposed adult community and I have been continually disappointed.

Should we all switch off our chat, close our eyes against the Nazi symbols and hum really loudly?

Are we even capable of policing our own community and expecting better things of ourselves?

Discuss.

This is sadly more true than not. Thats why I'm taking steps to make sure forum posts with me in them keep a professional standing and remain unbiased, which is why I presume that no one responds to mine other than the upstanding Glaciers.  There aren't enough people based around customer support in LO's reign, it needs to be improved and measures should be taken against the excessive toxicity just like with the Teamkilling in the game. Its not enough to report it, it should be monitored better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ever played Rust? It is how it is, nothing you can do about it, really. Wait for the community to grow, no matter how much salt there is, it gets dissolved with enough water. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, _chain said:

Ever played Rust? It is how it is, nothing you can do about it, really. Wait for the community to grow, no matter how much salt there is, it gets dissolved with enough water. 

Well, sadly, APB is a Salt lake at this point.

/ignore <insert player name>

• Like 1

Just now, -Dan- said:

/ignore <insert player name>

That doesn't exactly solve the overall toxicity, yeah it may block it from your view but its still there.

Just now, Recon_Puppy said:

That doesn't exactly solve the overall toxicity, yeah it may block it from your view but its still there.

And where's the problem in that?

If you see two people swearing at eachother do you call police on them ?

• Like 1

Just now, -Dan- said:

And where's the problem in that?

The problem with that is the overall toxicity is unattractive for new players, just because you ignore them doesn't mean everyone does and it still poses a problem for the new people wanting to test out the game. This isn't to say we have to ban them for toxicity, that'd be too much of an overreaction. However a chat timeout would be a good countermeasure to detected toxicity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Recon_Puppy said:

The problem with that is the overall toxicity is unattractive for new players, just because you ignore them doesn't mean everyone does and it still poses a problem for the new people wanting to test out the game. This isn't to say we have to ban them for toxicity, that'd be too much of an overreaction. However a chat timeout would be a good countermeasure to detected toxicity.

At this point, I seriously doubt new players are put off by saltiness, but rather being stomped by dethreaters

Just now, -Dan- said:

At this point, I seriously doubt new players are put off by saltiness, but rather being stomped by dethreaters

A lot of the things going on are putting off people, some people like having the challenge of veteran players fighting them. I know I did when I started playing, it was the only way for me to learn the game. I've become better because of it, but general toxicity in any game is unattractive and should be appropriately dealt with.

Name me a pvp game with a polite and nice community

this thread is just bait for some stupid argument to happen

especially with mentions of certain things no one has ever made fun or or whatever lmao

It is neither feasible nor worth asking Little Orbit to police it's players, as you have the tools and ability to either block, mute, or report behavior that you believe breaks the terms of service.

Asking the company to moderate the players would require more employees than the business could sustain, considering the fact that these employees would be an increased labor drain, and asking them to develop a software solution may stoke the issue further, as there are people who like to find ways around filters and restrictions just to prove that they can. 

It may be best to learn how to co-exist and deal with players who find the behavior, speech, and symbols entertaining. You cannot control other people and their actions, only your own reactions to them. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fenton said:

Discuss.

A big problem is people caint tell the difference between trash talk and being toxic.

2 hours ago, Lato said:

Name me a pvp game with a polite and nice community

Battlefield 4. I've ran into nothing but respectful people on there.

1 hour ago, AnneArkey said:

It is neither feasible nor worth asking Little Orbit to police it's players, as you have the tools and ability to either block, mute, or report behavior that you believe breaks the terms of service.

Asking the company to moderate the players would require more employees than the business could sustain, considering the fact that these employees would be an increased labor drain, and asking them to develop a software solution may stoke the issue further, as there are people who like to find ways around filters and restrictions just to prove that they can. 

It may be best to learn how to co-exist and deal with players who find the behavior, speech, and symbols entertaining. You cannot control other people and their actions, only your own reactions to them. 

I'm not asking them to police it themselves, but they could set up a system to detect common toxic words or phrases and have it punish the player with a chat suspension, like what Overwatch does.

7 hours ago, -Dan- said:

Sign language? Bird bird bird , bird is the word 🤣

10 hours ago, Alani said:

this thread is just bait for some stupid argument to happen

Not my intention, I assure you.

8 hours ago, Willy Wonka said:

A big problem is people cant tell the difference between trash talk and being toxic.

This is true. Being an international community as well, the line between the two can be pretty blurred as common insults in one place could be a deathly insult in another.

Thank you for keeping the discussion civil thusfar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Living long enough to have become an adult has no influence whatsoever on how you behave in social situations. It's an inherent flaw in some people you simply can't erase.

That being said, I greatly enjoy this community. If the people playing APB weren't the way they are like now I most likely wouldn't be here.

Edited by Eisena

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

An old post of a veteran (Sho.) explained it very well.

The game has been a bit vandalized (G. Co.)

And is hard restore the damage (OOB,N-bug,Threat Locking,Teamkick)

Also with all effort possible (ty LO ❤️ ) it still appears ruined.

Solution: Clean and Fresh Air first. Add something funny after restore the good old APB.

1st thing to do : This: 

I think the rules that are already in place are good enough.
Any more than that and we start closing in on the plague called political correctness.

• Like 2