jarko

Loitering in a " Action District " yes/no?

Loitering in a " Action district "  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Should they kick/move to social district players that are loitering in a " Action district " (Financial/Waterfront)?

• Yes, it ruins the experience for those that are waiting for a match
    • No, i prefer wasting the capacity of a district for my own distractions.

1 minute ago, jkoh said:

It can be annoying when players do this, but it is pretty tough to enforce rules like this, even with the 10 minute between mission kicks, players who willing choose to waste slots and not play will just ignore the mission and continue with what they are doing. It really just comes down the the willing choice they make to join the only populated district and mess about rather than do missions. Sad as it is, not much can be done as I see it.

ban every silver.

1 minute ago, tarma said:

Im sorry but if you cant read, before you join it says "mission district" not "lets make it harder for those trying to get opp, get opp" :^).

They can do the same thing in an empty district, not one that is populated for those who enjoy doing missions. 

In that regard, then game should kick gold threat players, that stayed too long in silver district, back to a gold district.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tarma said:

Im sorry but if you cant read, before you join it says "mission district" not "lets make it harder for those trying to get opp, get opp" :^).

They can do the same thing in an empty district, not one that is populated for those who enjoy doing missions

It's rich to see you accuse me of being unable to read with comprehension (instead of, y'know, rebutting my arguments that I actually used) while proving that you didn't read my post.

The opening post says nothing about empty instances not falling under the same ruleset, nor does it propose any amount of players that would activate the ruleset, hence why it's only logical to assume that OP wants to apply this "10 minutes before kick" ruleset to all instances.

I addressed that in my post. You would have known that if you had actually read it.

Once again, please do actually read it - and then we can talk.

No, i prefer wasting the capacity of a district for my own distractions.

this is not your server performance issue . you are a hostage of the situation .

Edited by Yood

5 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

In that regard, then game should kick gold threat players, that stayed too long in silver district, back to a gold district.

Oooooh so much this....Thank You!

8 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

oh i was part of the game when gold districts were full :^) but people left. I recently stopped playing due to no opp and fighting the same 200 people all the time. 

6 minutes ago, MartinPL said:

It's rich to see you accuse me of being unable to read with comprehension (instead of, y'know, rebutting my arguments that I actually used) while proving that you didn't read my post.

The opening post says nothing about empty instances not falling under the same ruleset, nor does it propose any amount of players that would activate the ruleset, hence why it's only logical to assume that OP wants to apply this "10 minutes before kick" ruleset to all instances.

I addressed that in my post. You would have known that if you had actually read it.

Once again, please do actually read it - and then we can talk.

I read it but all i had to say was, this kid has to be silver. Rulesets or not, banana move to those wasting slots for people who want to do missions. Oh and making the occasional player leave due to waiting to play the game. 

2 minutes ago, tarma said:

I read it but all i had to say was, this kid has to be silver. Rulesets or not, banana move to those wasting slots for people who want to do missions. Oh and making the occasional player leave due to waiting to play the game. 

>using threat levels as an insult

>using threat levels as an insult in a game where the matchmaking and threat levels are ruined by dethreaters

>instantly assuming that someone with an opposing opinion has less experience with the game

>dismissing opposing opinions without trying to provide counter-arguments

>being smug about it all

I'll take the game "dying" from people wanting to play it in a way other than playing missions over the game actually dying because people like you actively attack and drive away anyone who does not stick to the elitist hivemind.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

guys chill out riot is almost here 

then the game will actually be dead and none of this will matter :^)

Edited by Glaciers
typo

21 minutes ago, MartinPL said:

First and foremost, I'd like to say that it's honestly pathetic how the choices available in the poll are blatantly shaming those who disagree and painting their disagreement as coming from only one position. OP, you could have at least tried to act like you don't have personal bias here. If we're at that level of maturity, you might as well set the options to "Yes" and "No because I'm a stupid doodoo-head".

"Playing casually in another instance" - you're not proposing that to be an option though. You did not propose a bottom limit after which the "10 minutes to get opposed" would kick in. It's clear that the proposed "solution" of kicking players out to other districts would be applied to all instances regardless of their playercount - effectively killing any possibility of freely exploring the districts on one's own.

Additionally, kicking out "loitering" players would serve as an active impediment to any community-organised events.

This would kill driving time trials. This would kill any car-related events. This would kill any fighting events (for example, WitchQueen's Snubnose fighting sessions). These are already not officially supported by the game's mechanics - and adding a time limit to playing in an instance when unopposed would only make this even harder to execute than it already is.

The truth of the situation is that there is no single correct way to play a game. (And before anyone tries to be silly here - no, cheating is not a valid way of playing.) This is why players and communities create self-imposed challenges, tournaments, and other alternate ways of deriving fun from a virtual world. This basic idea is why speedrunning exists as a whole - gameplay focused on an alternate goal, in a different manner of gameplay.

This thread is advocating for the implementation of a system which kicks out players who do not match OP's definition of "playing the game".

To this attitude I would like to give advice: stop policing the entertainment of other people. Kicking them out for not adhering to your idea of playing is essentially as if you were playing with other kids in a sandbox, only to rip their toys out of their hands and scream "THIS IS NOT HOW YOU MAKE A SAND CASTLE! GO AWAY! I DON'T WANT YOU HERE!".

(Plus, the issue of them "filling up slots in an instance" 1) implies that their presence is worthless to you [what a wholesome approach, isn't it?], 2) will stop being a problem when district phasing gets introduced in the future.)

You're clearly not in favor & it's ok i'm not trying to dictate how it must be.. ense why it is a poll and why this is a discussion to elaborate on a possible solution to reduce the inevitable that will probably happens if someone induce this to a specific district. You can decide to not vote and to establish your approval or unapproval by commenting like you just did.. sorry if the way i created the poll is bothering you.

"would be applied to all instances regardless of their playercount 

Obviously it would be unless they would clearly decide to generate one instance of each as a Non-pvp session.  By the same opponent time this would solve your inquiries about the community-organised events & ect. 

stop policing the entertainment of other people."

I'm just trying to establish " THE " perfect solution for the playerbase that were having in the moment. You might not see it at the moment but if this is something that grows over the months you won't be able to enjoy the other half of what the district is meant to be made for.. #PVP.

Think about the bigger picture...

Hope this clarify my point of view a little more.

10 minutes ago, jarko said:

You're clearly not in favor & it's ok i'm not trying to dictate how it must be.. ense why it is a poll and why this is a discussion to elaborate on a possible solution to reduce the inevitable that will probably happens if someone induce this to a specific district. You can decide to not vote and to establish your approval or unapproval by commenting like you just did.. sorry if the way i created the poll is bothering you.

"would be applied to all instances regardless of their playercount 

Obviously it would be unless they would clearly decide to generate one instance of each as a Non-pvp session.  By the same opponent time this would solve your inquiries about the community-organised events & ect. 

stop policing the entertainment of other people."

I'm just trying to establish " THE " perfect solution for the playerbase that were having in the moment. You might not see it at the moment but if this is something that grows over the months you won't be able to enjoy the other half of what the district is meant to be made for.. #PVP.

Hope this clarify my point of view a little more.

Id like to hope you think before you type but thats wishful thinking...

Your Poll

A. Pick my choice cuz its the right choice

B. Everyone else who doesnt see my point is the problem so lets insult them

Now I remember why I willingly vanished from this community for so long....

Edited by Narcisse
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jarko said:

You might not see it at the moment but if this is something that grows over the months you won't be able to enjoy the other half of what the district is meant to be made for.. #PVP.

if this issue does steadily grow over the months, doesnt that mean more and more of the playerbase feels that "loitering" is the more enjoyable activity? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jarko said:

Great - now the "only" thing that's needed is the removal of the front-facing District Select with panel display and making Advanced District Selection the standard interface! - because when you press the images, you have no control over which instance you are sorted into, as the game will pick any available instance for you.

This idea will also complicate things for new players, who are already struggling to find their way in APB with how barebones the existing tutorial system is.

13 minutes ago, jarko said:

The bigger picture is that of those people who are logged into the game, they still count as the playerbase regardless of their "in mission" status. If they want to race around the district and not participate in missions, if they want to have Calabria derbies, if they want to fight 1v1 in closed groups - they are just as valid players as you are. Unfortunately your bigger picture deliberately excludes and alienates parts of the playerbase which don't match your definition of playing APB. And who are you to say that they don't count as players if they find it fun to play APB for something other than missions?

And just apologizing for the poll doesn't change the fact that you deliberately worded it in a way which insults and misrepresents those who disagree with the loaded question posed in it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

if this issue does steadily grow over the months, doesnt that mean more and more of the playerbase feels that "loitering" is the more enjoyable activity? 

So be it if it has to be so. I doubt that the game by itself was made for this specific type of entertainment tho..

5 minutes ago, Narcisse said:

Id like to hope you think before you type but thats wishful thinking...

Your Poll

A. Pick my choice cuz its the right choice

B. Everyone else who doesnt see my point is the problem so lets insult them

Now I remember why I willingly vanished from this community for so long....

I've been addressing the matter in a neutral way. You're the one judging this as an insult. Sorry to hear it.

49 minutes ago, tarma said:

They can do the same thing in an empty district, not one that is populated for those who enjoy doing missions. 

Lmao your entire point to any response is “It SaYs MiSsIoN dIsTrIcT” It’s a childish way to disagree, and ignore anyone who opposes your point of view.

4 minutes ago, MartinPL said:

Great - now the "only" thing that's needed is the removal of the front-facing District Select with panel display and making Advanced District Selection the standard interface! - because when you press the images, you have no control over which instance you are sorted into, as the game will pick any available instance for you.

It could simply be revamped and enlarge to be capable of selecting a Non-PVP instance from a PVP instance ... I doubt that there would be a struggle here.. 

1 minute ago, jarko said:

So be it if it has to be so. I doubt that the game by itself was made for this specific type of entertainment tho..

just like the game by itself wasnt intended to just focus on missions

like i said before a big part of open world games is the compromise between rigid structure and freedom of action - taking either away will be detrimental 

6 minutes ago, jarko said:

I've been addressing the matter in a neutral way. You're the one judging this as an insult. Sorry to hear it.

from the poll to your initial post to the post im quoting right now you've presented "loitering" as a problem that needs to be eliminated, lets not pretend you're being a neutral arbiter here

8 minutes ago, jarko said:

I don’t think he is judging it as an insult. It is an insult. “Yes, it ruins the experience for those that are waiting for a match” vs “No, i prefer wasting the capacity of a district for my own distractions.”

1 hour ago, tarma said:

oh yea appreciate those who make the pop 30-40 and watch people complain about not getting opp. makes sense. and then when they do get opp its after an hour or so waiting. 

Merged.

its called mission district for a reason. ramps are used to get to a higher elevation to gain control of the high ground around an objective. fast cars are meant to travel to the objective sooner. dumptrucks are yknow the old grieftrucks i remember from 2011. 

They aren't called "mission districts".  They are called "Action Districts".  Action is a very broad term and could be used to describe anything he used as an example there.  Believe it or not APB was originally designed as an open world game.  In the RTW version you didn't even ready up for missions.  Criminals would do open world stuff and enforcers would get dispatched against them when they were witnessed by a pedestrian or enforcer. (Ever notice that little meaningless yellow notification that says "A pedestrian has  witnessed you committing a crime"?) That notification just doesn't have any function anymore. 

Seriously?  Don't pretend the ramps scattered everywhere around the districts aren't just for doing crazy shit.  Like 90% of them can't be used to get to higher ground.  APB isn't a hardcore tactical shooter and was never intended to be.  Hell, the game didn't even have recoil when it first came out.  It's not like fast cars were only intended to serve one purpose.  They're also just meant to be fun to drive, show off, and give players something to work towards on top of being able to beat the opposition to the objective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jarko said:

It could simply be revamped and enlarge to be capable of selecting a Non-PVP instance from a PVP instance ... I doubt that there would be a struggle here.. 

Yes, because as a new player (or just a player in general) I will jump at the option to choose between "instance" and "instance that will kick me out if I do anything other than constantly play missions". /s

This is tough because goofing around in an action district is an essential part of the Apb experience. However, a 40v40 silver district being the only place where half the pop online on Jericho can play (seem we've entirely given up on populating another silver, eh, just gonna sit in social spamming join? (But I digress)) if you are actively and knowingly taking up more than one spot, aka in a group or encouraging players to join that almost full district (35 or more on either side) that arent going to K up you should be courteous and go to another district. But people being courteous in Apb? Unlikely :^)

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2019 at 3:19 AM, Glaciers said:

QD28yxv.gif

DgN2DPw.png

Just fill a second district, I like to fuck around a bit after a mission to blow off steam and would not appreciate being booted thx

EDIT: by blow off steam I meant drive around for 5mins contemplating if I wanted to do another mission or not after being pounded sheesh

Edited by ItzKeppe
since ppl dont understand what I mean by blow off steam..
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can tell if this poll was made by someone who have became tired of having to wait for a mission in a full action district.

- Months ago, Little Orbit hosted a event where players (both criminals and enforcers) would have to kill a MattScott in a mission district. The winners won days of premium and maybe a pair of 3d glasses.

- Months after that, a GM actually did a APB pop quiz in district chat and rewarded people who got the correct answer a free code which either gave them free premium or a free item. 

I do not see why populating a action district and not doing any missions will be considered "loitering". One cannot just come to a mission district to just do missions. I've seen criminals ramraid. I've seen enforcers bounty hunting. I've seen clans organize a unofficial event (in fact, I was in a couple) I've seen people playing around with the game's physics, such as putting vans together at a wall and ramming them with a dump truck. If the action districts were only for missions, then nothing but missions and billboards will be interact around the maps, and the automatic kick would be shortened to much shorter time. Otherwise, it would have ramps, it would have stores and garages for criminals to ramraid, there are many things players can do. However, I can understand people use the action districts for granted, such as griefing. I do not see bounty hunting to be an issue in a action district. People can go AFK because of some brief personal issues that should not take long. That is why the game would automatically kick you after 15-20 minutes of being AFK in a action district. Griefing cannot be dealt with unless someone reports it. Of course, tickets will take long but action will be done eventually. Roaming around the map is never an issue. Hanging out with friends and having fun is never an issue. People can do anything in the action districts as long as it obeys the ToS.

If you think action districts are only for missions, then there are some understanding you may need. 

• Like 1

Nuh. Lemme fool around in between missions or when waiting for a friend to join.

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

one of the core facets of open "several city blocks" games

ftfy... dork

1 minute ago, CookiePuss said:

ftfy... dork

good looking out bro