Sign in to follow this  
Weeb TheEpicGuyV2

Weekly Poll

RIOT: Succeed or Fail  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RIOT will succeed?

• Yes
    • No

This week's poll will be a little different from the other weekly polls. Instead of the standard 2 polar opposite options with an in-between option, this week's poll will be a simple yes/no question

The topic this week is RIOT. I'm sure we all have our unique views and opinions on RIOT, however this thread isn't for them. You can leave your opinions and feedback at:

For those that play-tested the mode, I ask you this single question: do you think RIOT will succeed?

Edited by Weeb TheEpicGuyV2
  • Like 1

I don't know.

issues as dirt . how this will work in General , what are the rewards that the seasons change weapons .....

32 minutes ago, Yood said:

I don't know.

issues as dirt . how this will work in General , what are the rewards that the seasons change weapons .....

To know, not know we must. In General, the rewards of the season announced will be. Only then, decision is a possibility.

• Thanks 2

Terribly skeptical about RIOT not gonna lie.

APB is such a bad platform for the a BR like experience, we all know that if you play APB you play it because it's unique, but having a BattleRoyale like mode in apb, is one of the worst ideas you can think of, not only APB is late to the trend, but this will be a waste of developer resources.

APB has nothing, good for such a mode, Bad weapon balance, bad game mechanics, bad optimization (most PC's can't run apb without problem), and of course a terrible new player experience, so I'm not even sure who this update is targeting to be honest.

Seeing matt's plan on making this mode a big part of the game, i can only see this being a bad addition to apb, even tho it is content, the fact that it's completely dissociated with APB's lore and core concept, will make players feel like they're obligated to play this only for it's rewards and not for their enjoyement.

As you probably guessed by my post, i don't like the battle royale genre, but here's the thing, me not liking it doesn't mean that i can't judge it, i don't like Fortnite, neither Apex legends, but if i had to play a battle royale, i would definetely go for a game that's meant to be one.

RIOT, to my eyes, seems like a huge failure just waiting to be released, i hope i am wrong, but i honestly don't see anyone being attracted by such a mode in the current APB state.

The only remotely good way i can think of adding this mode is when the engine upgrade is out, with the game in a great state (good balance, good netcode, lots of content to enjoy, and more), but not now.

Oh, and both riot tests confirmed my expectations, an overall opinion that's about 50:50, and having mixed opinions on any game is a bad sign already.

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 5

I hope it does. I don't think it will.

• Like 2

I hope I'm proven wrong.

i think it’s hard for most players (myself included) still hanging around to be totally objective, we obviously like regular apb a great deal as we’re still here after all the garbage years and riot is not regular apb, yet it clearly has the priority 

i can understand the reasoning behind riot - apb was never that popular of a game so why not attempt to make it into a different (hopefully more profitable) game? - all that said, i doubt it will pay off

chasing new players is necessary but alienating a large chunk of the (already hilariously small) “hardcore” playerbase at the same time seems foolish at this point of apb’s existence 

the br market is supersaturated and riot, as a completely average br mode, doesn’t have enough to offer to stand out over games that are 10 years newer

i don’t think apb lends itself to br gameplay - nebulous, free-for-all, no-objective fighting has has always been a weakness of the game, at one point even causing a (then) new mode to fail pretty spectacularly (chaos/anarchy districts)

similarly, will apb’s current pay model stand up to a br focus?

who’s going to buy expensive cosmetic items when the dumpy hazmat suit is a staple of riot gameplay?

will anyone pay 20 dollars for a “premium” weapon in a br game - where finding free weapons ingame is the standard?

what use does actual premium have - it has no effect on br cash pickups, there’s only one br contact to level, and apb$ is worthless in riot mode because all the standard moneysink costs (cars, guns, mods, ammo, etc) don’t exist

theres a lot of smaller flaws (both with the mode as an apb concept and in actual gameplay) that make me think riot is going nowhere fast

but it’s hard to judge atm, maybe the engine upgrade will allow orbit to truly pump out enough new content/fixes that it won’t matter how riot does, because the rest of the game no longer needs a miracle - but again, i doubt it

Edited by Glaciers
typo
  • Like 1

What's the definition of succeed here? What's the expectation?

No.

It was immediately obvious it was going to be a no. This community harbored extreme negativity towards battle royale, and thats what RIOT is, a slightly changed battle royale. On top of that, it doesn't fit in the game.

Once we get down into the grit, it showcases everything wrong with the game, like the spawn system.

I had actually wrote a five paragraph reply as to why RIOT is a heaping pile of garbage, and just changed it to this. I like LO, but I don't understand why this decision was made at all.

• Like 3

Honestly still haven't gotten a feeling for it, so i am not sure if i like it or don't. Even if i feel a bit pessimistic about it working, ever.

• Thanks 1

Considering literally nobody asked for RIOT mode, I highly doubt it will succeed. People will play it, sure. But it'll die quickly once the "new stuff" feeling goes away.

I think everyone got their hopes too high, RHIOT was never going to turn this game from a obscure game, that many people have a bad perception of, into this giant mogul with 20k players. Literally impossible to do that no matter how good of a mode was added. If RHIOT and 3.5 combined pulls in new players and brings old players back, and it can keep them around, it will be enough of a success. It will hopefully get the ball rolling for Apb and it can begin to improve and gain players instead of losing them. Gaining steam if you will,

• Like 1

I predict it will be just as succesful as the engine upgrade.

Riot wont save the game as its being released before any of the major game flaws and bugs are fixed. Ppl will see that hackers run APB, guns are imbalanced and dont reg right and other issues and leave the game not to come back. Untill this stuff, threat and matchmaking are fixed nothing will work and ruin any chance of a recovery for the game. But what about the miracle engine upgrade? That will allow some issues fixed but many of these could be done now and releasing anything new prior to fixes is dumb.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VanilleKeks said:

To know, not know we must. In General, the rewards of the season announced will be. Only then, decision is a possibility.

cookie 'copy'

Honestly, I don't think so.

It's kinda sad, actually. LO worked so long on this mode, even created an ARG for it, and it clearly won't succeed unless they completely rework it by moving away from battle royale / district wide missions, which would add a whole lot more of development time.

Edited by GhosT
typoö
  • Like 1

I want to be proven wrong on it. I really do. But Thaumaturge and Darkzero both summed it up perfectly.

Edited by Tizzie

5 hours ago, Thaumaturge said:

I had actually wrote a five paragraph reply as to why RIOT is a heaping pile of garbage, and just changed it to this. I like LO, but I don't understand why this decision was made at all.

The logic behind the decision isn't difficult to understand (whether it's the right thing to do is another matter). It goes like this:

1) Game is stale AF. Even if they fixed everything and got the core experience as tight as it can be, it'd only retain a small core of vets playing all the time, and a larger group of other vets playing intermittently. It needs something new for existing players to do and get hooked into for 'player engagement' (eg. buying things), and that something also has to appeal to new players because we also need those.

2) Battle Royale is popular and implementable.

3) Therefore implement Battle Royale. Or something that is 99% Battle Royale.

I'm not saying I want Battle Royale (cos I'd take or leave it) or that I think that RIOT is the future (I voted no in the poll), but that's the logic.

The only other thing I could think of them doing is some sort of persistent territory control district ruleset retaining the Enf v Crim divide, but that'd probably be extremely difficult to balance and I suspect a lot of people wouldn't enjoy it either.

Edited by MrChan
  • Like 1

Sigh

I keep seeing on threads " RIOT won't save APB"

.........WHO SAID IT WAS SUPPOSED TO?

One piece of a puzzle does not a picture make.

As for how well it will do , I do not know since this is a phase to polish the stone to make it brighter.

Too soon to judge how well it can do since this is not a finished work.

To do otherwise is to be biased towards not just the product being constructed but towards the hard work of it to yet be done.

If a boss did that to me I'd quit because of that abusive crud right away.

Make sense?

anyways we will see.

I personally do not think that BR is in APB's spirit but that is looking from the eyes of someone who's played the game for nearly 10 years now. I can't tell for certain whether or not new players will enjoy APB's BR mechanics. (But they most likely will prefer it's combat to many other shooters currently out there).

From what I saw from the first stress test and the first real playtest, RIOT is about as good as it can be with the current engine's limitations. The second rendition was definitely better than the first with plenty of improvements across the board. (I've posted my thoughts on that in the respective thread).

While I think that RIOT and BR in general should never ever become APB's main "feat", it is also nice to have it as an available game mode (assuming that there are enough players to populate it). I have personally come across a new player, claiming that the main reason they decided to try APB was because they heard about the BR mode that's coming. But as it's not out yet, they decided to hop into the standard missions and they claim they liked it quite a bit.

At the end of the day, only time will tell. For now we are all looking forward to seeing what the Engine Upgrade will bring onto the table for both RIOT and the standard game.

I hope that this will bring some players back. I would normally say that new content is never a bad thing, but I just have this sense of foreboding.....

4 hours ago, Flaws said:

I personally do not think that BR is in APB's spirit but that is looking from the eyes of someone who's played the game for nearly 10 years now. I can't tell for certain whether or not new players will enjoy APB's BR mechanics. (But they most likely will prefer it's combat to many other shooters currently out there).

From what I saw from the first stress test and the first real playtest, RIOT is about as good as it can be with the current engine's limitations. The second rendition was definitely better than the first with plenty of improvements across the board. (I've posted my thoughts on that in the respective thread).

While I think that RIOT and BR in general should never ever become APB's main "feat", it is also nice to have it as an available game mode (assuming that there are enough players to populate it). I have personally come across a new player, claiming that the main reason they decided to try APB was because they heard about the BR mode that's coming. But as it's not out yet, they decided to hop into the standard missions and they claim they liked it quite a bit.

At the end of the day, only time will tell. For now we are all looking forward to seeing what the Engine Upgrade will bring onto the table for both RIOT and the standard game.

With the current limitations Riot feels so simple and empty. There’re not fun mechanics as in other br games. I won 3 times in the last play test, I have already done and bored of riot.

I don’t know what feature will make new players choosing riot over fortnite or apex. Remember radical heights? It’s much better than riot and it failed competing with other br games

Edited by Lign
  • Like 2

If anything Riot will be detrimental to APB by splitting the already miniscule playerbase, if anyone plays it that is, if nobody plays it then it's just been a waste of time and effort that could have been focused on something more useful.

I'd have thought that by now LO would have had a better understanding of what the remaining APB players want, jumping on the Battle Royale bandwagon was just a stupid idea, there's already a ton of BR games out there without any of the flaws inherent to APB, a complete waste of valuable resources.

If you want to create a new game mode give us racing districts.

Edited by TheDogCatcher
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this