ComFeyer

RIOT 11th of May Feedback thread

While I've never been a huge fan of the larger-scale, closing zones, kind of gameplay, I must admit it was a more pleasant experience than I had expected.

Spawns could definitely still use some work. I had more than one occasion where I would spawn in the middle of a firefight, or even in the same firefight.
Outside of that and the bug with showing personal and team kill counts, the gamemode seems to be pretty fine.
While I can understand peoples dislike of the player-specific loadouts, it does add a level of planning in the event of your potential demise in the late-game, and the additional costs of respawning.

I don't really have any more quarrels otherwise with the modes gameplay.

I would like to give some props to the people behind some of the map additions/changes. Some of the ways they utilised existing assets were pretty creative. Interesting to see a variety of different breakable walkway planks being re-used as walls/cover. The looks of little elevated platforms and towers, along with some reasonable cover, were also quite nice to see.

That being said, there were a few spots where the underside of an object was visible when it probably wasn't intended to be seen. Meaning they were either able to be seen through, or had incorrectly mapped textures.

There were also some objects that either floated above the ground, or stuck awkwardly into the ground in ways that didn't seem right.
Other objects had some wonky, or incorrect collisions.

And a couple of sections that seem completely untouched in terms of additions/changes. While the lack of changes in these spots were probably intended, they do look a little out of place when just about every other street has blown-up cars scattered around the place.

Also spooky shadows

I am still on the fence about this backstory stuff so far. It really seems like it's kind of shoe-horned in for the sake of it.

Like why is it a "G-King Chemist" specifically that "smuggles" a vial out and leaks the details onto SPiN?

Does their association with the G's bring something specific into question?

Why does the term for a San Paro citizen keep changing between "San-Paroans" and "San Parians"?

Why does Lawrence Holland feel like his backstory is some kind of weird retcon of the supposed current head of the CSA Facility, referred to in LaRocha's bio as the Fed, "old man Holland"?

At what point in Jane's life was this Lawrence a mentor?

How'd he make time to serve his country off-the-record and "behind the scenes" for 40 years, and mentor Jane after her father's death?

Was it somehow during the 10 years she spent over "half a continent" away from San Paro, yet before her sudden disappearance to do foreign humanitarian aid work in war zones at the age of 21?

How did the Redhill Institute get a plot as suspicious as this past both Derren and, her seemingly only trusted associate, August Carter without somehow raising red flags?

What association does Jemima Seindorf have with the popular local celebrity, and club-goer, Vanessa Seindorf, the Old Money billionaire Marvin Seindorf, or the notorious and "definitely not a criminal" Clarissa Seindorf?

I mean, one could argue that these kind of things aren't that important to the event, but these kind of questions just keep sticking out to me a bit more than they probably should.

Also, if the Redhill Institute Of Technology and Lawrence is going to stay, why not change their icons to fit in with the other contact/organisation icons? Like more white-outlined. Their blue and red colours stick out quite a bit.

Edited by Roxl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suggestion for Respawn: Spawnpoint check up

I would like to suggest another thing. The spawn system was awful. Sometimes I had enemies spawn right into me. I don't know how the whole spawn system work but isn't it possible to change the check up for a available spawnpoint? Instead of only checking if there is a enemy nearby there should be a collision check too. I draw a little picture,  I hope the most of you understand it :')

spawn-system.png?width=400&height=250

If no enemy within (for example) 20m to the spawnpoint and there a wall/hitbox between the spawnpoint and the enemies nearby (~100m), then the player gets this point as spawnpoint. If this check up fails because no availible spawnpoint left (maybe enemies block all spawnpoint) you can still assign a spawnpoint using the old method.

Any question? Feel free to ask! Also would like to hear your opinion about that.

Edited by iTzBlackout
Added title

all updates later. enter riot the game and go )))

The respawn system is pretty scuffed. Ive respawned on enemies and had enemies respawn near or on top of me on several occasions. The worst experience I had with the respawn placements was when an enemy spawned behind my team, killed me, then my team killed him, I respawned, then he respawned next to me, I killed him, then another enemy spawned next to me, killed me, then i respawned next to him the guy that had originally killed me, and i died for the last time. It was a pretty funny experience.

Also I would consider disabling being able to purchase your primary, leave it all up to RNG.

Edited by Entei2

spawns were dogshit and the sound of the gas emitters sounds absolutely horrible

Overall after the game got warmed up, everything played as intended other than spawns really, I found myself behind the enemies sometimes and was not a fair gunfight. I think the size of financial should be reduced just a tad since I felt like sometimes i was traveling longer than i was getting into firefights. And when i did they were sporadic and short, I would almost say nearly one sided because one team would catch another off guard. I think with some minor tweaks to map size it could be better than what it is now. But what is currently offered is quite well polished I think. Other than some minor ambient noise would be nice as well, it felt way to quiet. 

In my opinion though playing BR in APB is something that really didn't  feel right, I wish this was more of a event based game mode that was rotated out with some of the other special events that award those special riot tokens, I think more people in APB would enjoy something to change gameplay away from districts but not have something that APB wasn't really intended for. The gunplay and strategy just doesn't feel quite like other BR's and that in itself could be a negative or positive to some, but I feel as though most would view it as a negative.

After playing RIOT for the first time, I found the game mode to be very fun! My only issues with it are the fact that the respawns are utterly garbage... I found myself spawning right infront of enemies and getting gunned down almost immediately.. it really took away from the experience. Also, the spectator mode is kinda boring, I feel like more information could be displayed on it, and you should be able to open menus (such as inventory and character info for contact view/role view) while spectating. I'm hoping it won't be in beta for too much longer cause I'm very eager to play it live.

All in all, I had a good time. It's a fun gamemode with friends, and I like the final stage. It means you actually have to go for the RIOT devices.

I still had some enemies respawn right next to me, but honestly I don't know if that can be helped. Possibly make a RIOT only character mod that acts like a mobile spawn point? You couldn't respawn if your teammate was too close to an enemy. In that case you would respawn normally. 

Another idea I had was for a "down" system. Dealing lethal damage to an enemy sets them in the arrested or stunned mode. They could then be helped up by a teammate, killed by an enemy, or have their timer run out and die.

I did find a bug. It seems at the borders of some areas you get a little contaminated patch. I have a video uploaded, here's the link. It's not game-breaking or anything, just something I found odd.

Edited by IROCkiller
various things

18 hours ago, Lato said:

Stop putting effort in this, nobody cares lol

Why would people play this mode and not pubg, fortnite, apex? FOCUS ON APB, improve this trash game, rework what needs to be reworked....You don't need a new engine to change a damn login screen or change some values on the joker store, these are like two examples but there is so much you could do to this game to make it better.

It pisses me off because i can tell Matt cares, but jesus..have some common sense, i'm tired of having to mentally spank you every time

I agree with that, a lot of things can be fixed without the need for new engine (and I know that because those fixes would be mainly just changing values or removing things). And upgrading the engine alone isn't gonna do anything good if those things are not changed after anyway.

Adding a new mode instead of making the basic one better (missions are horribly unbalanced etc.) isn't gonna help.

I know you're trying to gain population by adding BR but I don't think it's gonna work if the base game is in the state it is.

Do you know why Apex did so many things right? Because they asked Shroud and other good players for help. No good player in APB thought that BR is what we needed right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uke said:

Do you know why Apex did so many things right? Because they asked Shroud and other good players for help. No good player in APB thought that BR is what we needed right now.

I don't think asking the top players in APB would be a good idea in this game at all to be honest.

Game needs to become noob-friendlier so new players actually want to stay in the game.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GhosT said:

I don't think asking the top players in APB would be a good idea in this game at all to be honest.

Game needs to become noob-friendlier so new players actually want to stay in the game.

You don't ask good players so they can make the game "pro only". You ask them because they understand the game better than anyone else and know how to make balance choices that will benefit everyone.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Uke said:

You don't ask good players so they can make the game "pro only". You ask them because they understand the game better than anyone else and know how to make balance choices that will benefit everyone.

That'd require you to manually pick them, because a lot of players in that field have abysmal ideas of game balancing.

Honestly, please stop developing this mode. I know it's tough since you've spent 1 year developing it, but it clearly doesn't even work properly without changing fundamental APB systems like the spawn system. If you actually release the mode without any further changes to the gameplay either, I'm telling you, that it's going to flop and divide the community. I won't bother playing the game if all I got is a financial district with 20/20 population, that's for sure. You know it's bad when most of us, veteran players, don't care about RIOT, all we want is matchmaking and game balance. Why not give us what we want? We've stuck with APB for so long just to be given a mode no one asked for. I know it sounded like a good idea to give APB its BR mode along with the engine upgrade for the streamer hype but that won't really stick when the mode looks like one of those CS mods and not like a fully fledged game.

Please, focus on the matchmaking upgrade and release that alongside with the engine upgrade and a couple of contacts instead of RIOT. Right after that, rework the whole progression system, MMORPG type progression is a huge disadvantage for new players in APB and since the game is struggling in terms of population, you need to be able to retain them somehow. There are way too many things to learn/progress in APB to be able to enjoy the game after 9 years of it being "officially" released (which means veterans are so far ahead of anyone else).

There's a reason why Fortnite and other games of the genre are thriving, and it's not just because they're BR games, it's because the only thing you actually need is practice, since everything in those games is already "unlocked" (guns and such). If you actually need tips on this just pm me and I'll gladly make a constructive suggestion list, the reason why I won't just do it and post it publicly is because you probably won't even read it or care to comment on it.

If I sound hostile, I'm sorry, but it's been almost 5k hours I've spent on APB and I'm just tired of bad decision-making from the companies that have worked on the game. LO has done some right things that gave us hope specially in the beginning, but it just seems like it's all going to go downhill like the old G1: bad roadmap, not enough money to develop the game and then, eventually, let APB rot in life support state.

Listen to us.

Edited by swft
  • Like 7

Suggestion for Sound Effects/Environment

Sometimes it's still a problem that it feels really quite. I'm pretty sure alot of people agree with that. So here are a few suggestion to change that:

Background Sounds:

Sound Effects:

• In contaminated zone: Without a hazmat suit the surrounding gets quite (Similar to the sound if you have less health) and you only hear your heart beat. (Example: https://youtu.be/fLXLo3rEdrE?t=14)
  • Hazmat suit breathing: I think that would fit to the Hazmat suit. (Example: https://youtu.be/xDNF8enOpv0 )
  • Hazmat suit equip: Play a short sound for equipping the Hazmat Suit. (Example: https://youtu.be/VQPxcUAapu0)
  • Hazman suit warning: A few seconds before the suit gets uneqipped there could a warning sound that the player knows theres no air left.
  • Hazmat suit unequip: Play a short unequip sound that the player gets a aural notification that is Hazmat Suit is gone.
  • Countdown: Maybe a countdown sound effect for the last 10 seconds before your access codes runs out.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, swft said:

Honestly, please stop developing this mode. I know it's tough since you've spent 1 year developing it, but it clearly doesn't even work properly without changing fundamental APB systems like the spawn system. If you actually release the mode without any further changes to the gameplay either, I'm telling you, that it's going to flop and divide the community. I won't bother playing the game if all I got is a financial district with 20/20 population, that's for sure. You know it's bad when most of us, veteran players, don't care about RIOT, all we want is matchmaking and game balance. Why not give us what we want? We've stuck with APB for so long just to be given a mode no one asked for. I know it sounded like a good idea to give APB its BR mode along with the engine upgrade for the streamer hype but that won't really stick when the mode looks like one of those CS mods and not like a fully fledged game.

Please, focus on the matchmaking upgrade and release that alongside with the engine upgrade and a couple of contacts instead of RIOT. Right after that, rework the whole progression system, MMORPG type progression is a huge disadvantage for new players in APB and since the game is struggling in terms of population, you need to be able to retain them somehow. There are way too many things to learn/progress in APB to be able to enjoy the game after 9 years of it being "officially" released (which means veterans are so far ahead of anyone else).

There's a reason why Fortnite and other games of the genre are thriving, and it's not just because they're BR games, it's because the only thing you actually need is practice, since everything in those games is already "unlocked" (guns and such). If you actually need tips on this just pm me and I'll gladly make a constructive suggestion list, the reason why I won't just do it and post it publicly is because you probably won't even read it or care to comment on it.

If I sound hostile, I'm sorry, but it's been almost 5k hours I've spent on APB and I'm just tired of bad decision-making from the companies that have worked on the game. LO has done some right things that gave us hope specially in the beginning, but it just seems like it's all going to go downhill like the old G1: bad roadmap, not enough money to develop the game and then, eventually, let APB rot in life support state.

Listen to us.

The mmorpg progression, thats where you are wrong. You need to motivate players somehow with objectives and rewards, dont turn this to some kind of generic shooter?

Be careful with these comments because they are really lost with what they are doing.

I hope someone can give them some lights because i feel really sorry, specially for the game that i somehow would like to keep playing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SillyBear said:

The mmorpg progression, thats where you are wrong. You need to motivate players somehow with objectives and rewards, dont turn this to some kind of generic shooter?

Be careful with these comments because they are really lost with what they are doing.

I hope someone can give them some lights because i feel really sorry, specially for the game that i somehow would like to keep playing.

I'm not wrong at all. There's no incentive to play the game as a new player when all you do is get curb stomped by people who, even if they aren't good at the game at all, are able to completely destroy you just because of their loadouts and "just enough" game knowledge. You could say, "oh yeah? just fix the matchmaking and it's done.", well, the problem is more complex than that, specially when the game barely has 1k players online at peak.

Players should be rewarded for playing, they should get faster progression and/or a different style of progression which is what I think is the better choice. I'm not going to go deep on my thoughts about this here, but just know that there are much better ways to give players incentives to grind out the game other than just for improving skill.

EDIT: There's also no incentive for me to play, I got 2 maxed characters (I could have more, but I cba'd for a long time), all I'm doing now is maintaining my skill level and grinding out the roles passively and leveling my other alts. There's nothing else for players in my category other than making more and more characters and repeat the contact level grind.

Edited by swft

5 hours ago, GhosT said:

^The truth we are all afraid to speak. ^

• Like 4

I haven't listened to all of @iTzBlackout 's sounds but those things definitely need to be added. I like the idea of the breathing in the Hazmat suit!

The noob friendly thing is true. When I began to play I felt the fbw was a much better starter weapon than the snubby. But I quickly realised the FBW is in fact 2 different weapons: It is a slow shooting weak gun in the hands of a novice (new players and me) and then in the hands of a player who knows the tap-rythm it's a wrecking machine.

So those who have suggested an automatic starter weapon are absolutely right. I reckon an NFa or Pdw would be ok. Or no weapon at all and make more available on the floor.

I said this before but loadouts cannot be as they are. New players have got zero choice. In Riot mode there must be a selection of guns to choose from like 1 shotty, 1 smg, 1 assault rifle, 1 anti vehicle, 1 sniper etc.

As @Flaws and others may have suggested we need to see the closing zones on a mini map somehow. It's not a simple circle like Fortnite so you need to be able to see where you're going. Pressing M to have a look was really annoying.

I'm still not totally sold on having extra lives though I must admit I was excited when I suddenly respawned. I think it's odd to have extra lives in a mode like this and as @RoseTheGoat has previously suggested maybe rather than dying, going into a 'stun' position would be good and then relying on teammates to 'revive' you. Maybe even allow people to slowly move around when stunned. Maybe also gradually become 'un-stunned' just like in the real game.

The lobby and queuing seems a bit dodgy. There really shouldn't be a tonne of barely-filled districts. This added to the 'ghostly' feel of the mode. Is it possible to queue for the mode whilst chilling in social or another district. Then only bring people into the game when there will be a lot of players. If there's only 20 people queueing and it's been that way for a while then sure pop them into a game. But if there's 40 people then try to get a game with 40 in rather than 2x20.

When we die we still get abruptly sent to watch another player. Let us see our body fall. Also when a team win let us see them celebrate and get some sound effects to go with it. 'You are now evacuating the district'. 

One thing I noticed, there was a time when it was just me left from my team (I know!) and my teammate  @Saxtus was spectating me and kept telling me when someone was coming. I then realised that he could check all directions and be an extra pair of eyes for me. Now this was cool, however is it something we should be able to do? I still think having the players' camera moves forced on the spectator would be better. That way teammates can't 'spy' for you, and we can also learn from good players (and spot cheats).

Having said all that I actually really did enjoy the test on Friday and with a few tweaks could be a very worthwhile game mode.

Of all the things to change I think the sound design and the beginner friendly-ness should be looked at first.

Don't be disheartened LO these are tests after all. Keep listening as you do...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WitchQueen said:

So those who have suggested an automatic starter weapon are absolutely right. I reckon an NFa or Pdw would be ok. Or no weapon at all and make more available on the floor.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but those are very close range weapons. And it'd kinda suck to be stuck with one against a player with a real weapon. You wouldn't have even a notional chance of defending yourself beyond 20m or so.

Would it be really offensive to people who got lucky enough to get an OCA Nano from a contact event (or bought the silenced one) if some variant of that was used? Maybe even with a bad mod to nerf it slightly? It's definitely an equaliser in terms of skill without being OP, imo. Or if that's considered too powerful (or more likely too easy to use) the Joker RFP might be another option? Although then sprint shooting comes into play.

• Like 1

That's a very good idea @MrChan I did think that the nfa and pdw were extremely close range and they would suck. Then again it's like just having the pick axe in fortnite. Sometimes you drop in and die immediately and that's the way it is. I suppose in Fortnite you can jump into a new game real quick though since 1000s are ready to play alongside you.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:43 AM, swft said:

I'm not wrong at all. There's no incentive to play the game as a new player when all you do is get curb stomped by people who, even if they aren't good at the game at all, are able to completely destroy you just because of their loadouts and "just enough" game knowledge. You could say, "oh yeah? just fix the matchmaking and it's done.", well, the problem is more complex than that, specially when the game barely has 1k players online at peak.

Players should be rewarded for playing, they should get faster progression and/or a different style of progression which is what I think is the better choice. I'm not going to go deep on my thoughts about this here, but just know that there are much better ways to give players incentives to grind out the game other than just for improving skill.

EDIT: There's also no incentive for me to play, I got 2 maxed characters (I could have more, but I cba'd for a long time), all I'm doing now is maintaining my skill level and grinding out the roles passively and leveling my other alts. There's nothing else for players in my category other than making more and more characters and repeat the contact level grind.

Yes you are wrong and its fact. Turning this in a generic shooter where everyone is the same, everyone has the "skill" and not persuit for anything is going to miserably die.

If you dont understand gaming or fun just step aside please, im tired of equality bs speech.

Edited by SillyBear

7 hours ago, SillyBear said:

Yes you are wrong and its fact. Turning this in a generic shooter where everyone is the same, everyone has the "skill" and not persuit for anything is going to miserably die.

If you dont understand gaming or fun just step aside please, im tired of equality bs speech.

Imagine not reading what I wrote. I clearly stated we needed another style of progression, I didn't say remove it completely. Obviously, you need some sort of a grind for something other than just for the sake of becoming a better player skill wise, otherwise the game would be dull for most people.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:19 AM, swft said:

Imagine not reading what I wrote. I clearly stated we needed another style of progression, I didn't say remove it completely. Obviously, you need some sort of a grind for something other than just for the sake of becoming a better player skill wise, otherwise the game would be dull for most people.

WRONG. Progression is perfect, they need to remove the early player access to powerful weapons and mods to create an incentive to player to reach 195 or +.

Read what you  wrote above "everyone needs to be the same because loadouts", yeah no. Firstly, learn to play, then get the good weapons when you played long enough to deserve them. Any good player can start a trainee character and be at the same level of anyone because they know to play. Stopping crying for your oponents weapons is another step into learning to play and it seems you never steped in.

Edited by SillyBear
Edited to remove slur -Spuzva