ComFeyer

RIOT 11th of May Feedback thread

The stats don't really need to be centered on the top of the screen. Top left or top right would be better, just how pretty much any other game does it. Something also needs to be done about the spawn system as I spawned multiple times behind an enemy and literally twice near 4-5 enemies.

The money system makes it so you pretty much have to hoard money early game anything else is pointless. Mid game is a walking simulator and end game is just a hide and seek game next to a truck. 
Besides that, I don't think this version of battle royale is anything special. It's fun for the first few games because it's new but if rewards are the only motivator to play it I don't see it last any longer than the other events we've had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shyloid said:

True, but Apex is different as it's death field is a slow closing circle that stops in phases to allow players to fight within it for a set period of time. So spawning is less of a chore. As where RIOT relies on players closing of sectors at their own pace whether it's the gas spreads fast or slow.  I mean unless you're saying we should be able to respawn in the gas then yeah, I get your point.

Well that's another thing. I'm not a fan of players activating gas areas in general (and the fact that you have to pick up access codes first is kinda pointless). The map closes unevenly which is very annoying to navigate and will be even more annoying for the new players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The game mode was an interesting idea and quite fun but confusing as well.

-It would be great, if the options to buy the primary or secondary could be displayed in another way.
-I think the weapon spawns could be a bit increased.

-There was one instance, when I only had like...1k$ and the spawn cost was at 3k, but I respawned anyways.

-Even though the pedestrians fled out of the city and every car crashed, the ambient sounds are kind of missing. It feels like nothing is happening at all while everyone is trying their best to survive.

-The amount of HazMat suits you can carry could be limited, otherwise some jerk teammates grab every suits they get leaving the other members of the team defenseless against the Hazard. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Shyloid said:

True, but Apex is different as it's death field is a slow closing circle that stops in phases to allow players to fight within it for a set period of time. So spawning is less of a chore. As where RIOT relies on players closing of sectors at their own pace whether it's the gas spreads fast or slow.  I mean unless you're saying we should be able to respawn in the gas then yeah, I get your point.

I was spawned 3 or 4 times in gas, it's intended because the game automatically activates gas mask

9 minutes ago, Uke said:

Well that's another thing. I'm not a fan of players activating gas areas in general (and the fact that you have to pick up access codes first is kinda pointless). The map closes unevenly which is very annoying to navigate and will be even more annoying for the new players.

Yeah neither am I. Most of the Codes are near the Gas Canisters anyways so it is purty pointless. New Players are what matter for this game right now, yeah.

• Like 1

The second RIOT test is starting now, 

Should there be a login Error code 9. Please try again in a few minutes, we are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

All feedback you have from the test can be posted in this very thread.

~@mayii

scrap the whole "players shrinking the area as they want", its boring and makes the map navigation seem smart

we get u dont wnt the game to be branded as another battleroyale, but that isnt stopping it, its still a battleroyale just with annoying mechanics

cut the rejoin time MASSIVELY

5mins warmup to start a match is gonna turn away every single player, and make the games end quicker

its way too long and boring

One bug I found- I went afk as I was changing to a new district and I think the new game must have started while I was gone (had not entered district).  When I tried to click on Double B to spawn in, my FPS went to about 10 and just sat there spinning, never entered the district. If a player fails to enter within a specified period before the game mode starts, it should force them to enter.  Not sure it's helpful to have to click on the spawn area anyway unless there are going to be multiple RIOT contacts in the future.

The lack of sound just makes the game feel.... empty. We need more ambient noise like the RIOT device should be slowly spooling up, then the gas pouring out when it equips should be a big "whoosh",  the car husks should have a very slight smoldering or fire crackling noise, any little touches of audio would help. 

The spawn system has been talked about enough, but that was my main complaint tonight. I know of a spot on top of the hospital where someone could sit and camp players that spawn in (although spawn protection could get you killed.) Several times someone either spawned right on top of me or me on top of them.  Until the spawn system is worked out, it's hard to see the potential for this game mode.  Also, some vehicles would be nice- even if they are low tier cars. The obstacles on the map make it hard to drive anyway. 

There is just nothing exciting about this game mode for me- and if it isn't exciting for a veteran player I don't know how this will draw in new players. There is much work to be done if this is going to be promoted past the current APB players.  There are better options for F2P options for similar game modes, on a far superior game engine. I say similar because this will be marketed as APB-flavored BR, no matter how different it is, people see it in that narrow genre. It's still early days, but I would implore the developers not to release this until it's ready. There are some good concepts here but it needs a lot of work.

Ok, in short:

negative:

1. respawn is stressing ,waiting more than 10 sec was ok in 1994. not today.
  2. open world like APB need cars, restore them . this is worst than OOB.
  3. i canT use directly my ALIG RDIII marvellous overpriced??  i have to 'unlock' it??? worst than weapon drop.
  4. social map is ruined, remove the priest from top fence cause that place is the best view for relax.

positive:

1. map is perfect for a zombie apocalypse, put some one random here and there and game is safe.
  2. is nice find cool weapons randomly.

grey area:

1. where is RH crew? a complete desert map doesnT help to have an immersion or a story.
  2. new contacts on mission district could help to have nice item to be used in riot district. (like a car, for example)
  • Like 1

- Add cars. But they should be rare (So that players perceive the car as a value) 

Cars should be scattered around the map, ~10 pieces for the whole map.

- Add any sounds. Without sounds, the game looks damp, there is no atmosphere. Just silence.

- fix spectator mode.

Edited by vfterlife
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ComFeyer said:

Hi there, all you lovely players who've tested the new RIOT mode.

Hi, ComFeyer. I'm considered a lovely player if I waited an hour for the opening of EU servers?

I could not take part in the test, because I did not have any created characters on OTW. 😒

A small update to me returning to the 2nd test a couple hours later:

I still keep my stand on the post previous to this one on the thread, however after playing with a different set of friends, I realized my conclusion is a bit harsh. like the statement I made during the stress test, the game mode is much more enjoyable when played with friends, and with smaller number of teams. seems like the more teams there are, the less enjoyable that it became. with the smaller groups we had upon getting on to this much later test; Me, Iroc, Blank, Tizzie, and Murk can agree that we all had a good deal of fun playing with each other in each round as the number of teams became smaller. This gamemode still needs a lot of tweaking and changes to some of the mechanics of how it works, but it is still enjoyable right now. Thank you Com, the gm who was hosting these tests, for making this possible today and he really added into the fun experience. I look forward to the last and third test if there will still be one~

I enjoyed this game mode, it's the most fun I've had in APB for a while. Exploring the new version of the map was enjoyable too.

-Even though I watched the spawn videos I didn't immediately realize where/how to pick up the blue gun spawns throughout the map. It was only on my third play-through that I knew what to look for. Because the UI stresses the location of access codes and plant sites my focus was 100% on those two objectives. If you're just starting out and are new to the mode you have to coincidentally see the cash/gun spawns on the radar to know what to look for, which is difficult because the radar only goes out to ~80m. It would be helpful showing low-tier cash/gun spawns when opening the district map as that would have informed me immediately what to look for and is what I first checked upon starting the mode. This is only really an issue for new players though.

-I had a generally good time with spawning. The only issues I had were in the final district, but those locations are usually so narrow that I can't think of a valid solution other than cutting down the number of players that make it to the final zone. Even still though, the respawn mechanic is one of the most fun aspects of this mode so I don't think cutting down the number of players in the final zone is a valid solution.

• Like 2

I think the main issue now is spawning. Biggest problem is in the last 1-3 zones, there is just no space for players to not spawn in front of each other. Fix for this would be to disable respawn when there is only certain time / zones left. Also in early game you will very likely respawn in front of a team.

• Like 3

You post-poned so much that I couldn't attend to that test due to real life matters.

Lovely.

Couldn't make it in time for these tests.

But the removal of car spawners is awesome.

We haven't experienced player vehicles yet due to the bug in the last test, but only imagining people car gameplaying with a pioneer is already enough to really throw the balance out the window.

Now for the removal of player loadouts...

LITTLE ORBIT well done))) riot cool. really looking forward to the event at the citadel. I will play in what is already done. then you will finish the rest already on the citadel. thanks))) keep it up! p.s. Russia)

Normally I dont Like BR at all but I must admit I really like the mode. Probably cause its still APB^^

One thing I really noticed are the kinda broken spawns. I did 6 rounds yesterday and in 3 of them I lost 1 or even 2 lives because the game spawned me in middle of fighting people with primarys so I didnt even had a chance to go for cover or fight back.

Iam not sure if you guys at LO can do this with the current engine but maybe try to put in some checks where the spawn system makes sure you only spawn at least 100m away from any enemys. To make this spawn check also work at end of round when only 1 or 2 blocks are free, make the game spawn you in a toxic block but with automatic hazard suit enabled so you have a fair chance to leave the toxic block and get back to fight.

Oh and pls add some more sounds to the map it feels kinda too silent. And also a increase of random weapons over the whole map would be great

Edited by UltraMES187
  • Like 1

Suggestion for starter weapon

I would like to suggest a secondary specially designed for the RIOT mode. In the last test we had the FBW and there is a big gab in fire rate between a "newbie" and "pro". If Im not wrong, RIOT is there to attract new players but with that gab they wont have a chance. Thats why I like to have a automatic weapon with stats specially designed for RIOT. This gun shouldn't be overpowered so that its still better to take pickups or your own loadout. Make usage of the different holding animations (one and two handed) and add different versions of this gun with different mods. (for example blue mods, but nothing that changes fire rate) Then you able to select one of the guns as RIOT starter secondaries. In my opinion thats a good way to keep things customizable and you have something to unlock over time.

Different holding animations:

2BpTShv.png   v79C5Dx.png   DvtjuN3.png

Weapon example:

unknown.png?width=400&height=271

I hope to hear some other opinions about that.

Edited by iTzBlackout
Added title
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, UltraMES187 said:

One thing I really noticed are the kinda broken spawns. I did 6 rounds yesterday and in 3 of them I lost 1 or even 2 lives because the game spawned me in middle of fighting people with primarys so I didnt even had a chance to go for cover or fight back.

Iam not sure if you guys at LO can do this with the current engine but maybe try to put in some checks where the spawn system makes sure you only spawn at least 100m away from any enemys.

+

For example, you can make the player after a respawn invulnerable (outside the event) for a while (~20 sec maybe) so that he could leave the unsafe place. 

I think this is just a feasible and fairly effective solution. 

Edited by introlapse

Only played two rounds this time around, while it's neat it's not something that I feel is going to be good for APB. The population really isn't large enough for it. Unless somehow Jericho/Citadel players can do RIOT together I don't see it working out well for the NA population.

It's nice to start with the FBW, grenades needs to be looked at. I spawned with grenades once at the start (very first round) but never again after that. Grenades should be taken out to be honest. Weapon loadouts should also be removed.

• Thanks 1

Stop putting effort in this, nobody cares lol

Why would people play this mode and not pubg, fortnite, apex? FOCUS ON APB, improve this trash game, rework what needs to be reworked....You don't need a new engine to change a damn login screen or change some values on the joker store, these are like two examples but there is so much you could do to this game to make it better.

It pisses me off because i can tell Matt cares, but jesus..have some common sense, i'm tired of having to mentally spank you every time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3