SKay

The APB: Reloaded Community Global Tourney - Consultation Thread

NepnqGS.png

It's you and your mates against the world. Will you survive?

After a year of pondering "would it be worth doing this?", and with the recent acquisition and revival of APB, the inaugural APB Tourney is being formulated. I hope to make this a recurring theme, with fun and games paramount and at the forefront of organizing this. This Tourney will have premium prizes that I will give out of pocket, so it's also got some incentive to participate.

What is the APB Tourney?

The APB Tourney is a community organized event that will bring teams of three against each other. It will follow an e-Sports style system where a winner and loser bracket will be present (double elimination). It embraces the internally organized pug events that the likes of WASP and others have used over the years, and extended the invite to all who play the game. That's right, you, the reader are invited to participate. However this thread is about consulting what rules and regulations will be governing this tourney. Because having rules means we'll have fun. All of us. No-one likes to be OSMAW'd from 140 meters away.

What rules are going to be governed by the tourney?

Simple to follow rules, that's what. Having complicated, vague rules makes people be skeptical that an organized event be... well, fun. Below are the current draft of rules that will change depending on what the community wants.

Here are the current set of rules (subject to change):

General Rules:

1. All rivalries are to be left at the door. You are all friends here, so have fun.
  2. All players must form into teams of three, with a designated team lead for results gathering, issue tracking and feedback.
  3. At least one player per team (the team lead) is obliged to keep track of match results, match scheduling and match call-up. When a match is scheduled, discuss with the other team lead to determine server and optimal time to perform the match.
  4. All players must be on the Discord that will be set up for the Tourney. You are allowed to communicate using the VoIP solution of your choice, however we need to have you all there to assign teams and keep you up to date with what's going on.
  5. All players must be respectable to each other. It's all for fun, please treat each other with respect.
  6. The tourney will be split to Best of 1, Best of 3 and Best of 5 matches. Best of 1 for the play off stages, Best of 3 for the Quarter and Semi's, Best of 5 for the Finals.

Rules of Engagement:

1. Any weapon/vehicle/mod/equipment that is marked on the banned weapons list must not be used. They're banned as they are considered unfair due to various reasons. The inverse is also true; any weapon/vehicle/mod/equipment not banned is 100% OK to be used. Any question on specifics, please ask myself.
  2. Under no circumstance should the banned items be equipped and used. Doing so will equate to an immediate disqualification.
  3. Each player must have a primary weapon, whose category placement is unique in the team. In other words; each player must not have a weapon that is in the same category as another player on their team.

To outline an example;

Having a player with an NTEC, a player with an OCA and a player with a CR762 is fine.
    Having a player with an NTEC and a player with another NTEC is not fine.

4. There is to be only one Spotter Modification per team. Using tagger Weapon Modification as a stack is fine, however no stacking of spotter.
  5. The rules of engagement is subject to change. Please keep a track on any changes to the rules of engagement.

Banned Weapons/Vehicles/Equipment:
Weapons:

• Any weapon that falls into the High Velocity Rifle category.
  • Any OCA-626 variant other than the stock OCA-626
  • Fireworks Launcher/Flare Launcher
  • Mountie 'Yukon'
  • Any weapon that falls into the Less than Lethal category (primary and secondary).

Grenades:

• Low-Yield Fragmentation Grenades
  • Percussion Grenades
  • Stun Grenades

Vehicles:

• Seiyo Espacio (any variant)
  • Nulander Pioneer (any variant)
  • Patriot Vegas (any variant)
  • Patriot Vegas 4x4 (any variant)
  • Han CoyWolf 4x4 (any variant)

Equipment:

• Consumables (any variant)
  • Remote Detonator
  • Display Banner

Modifications:

None yet.

You see something that should be changed, banned or un-banned? Reply, and get people to rate up your post! Popular upvoted posts will be seriously considered. Of course this ruleset has been essentially copied from the tourney rules that @Kempington and @Vanille created, so I'd like to thank them now for the suggestions as a base for this tourney. I will also consult as many people as possible to get the fairest ruleset. Or as fair as I possibly can get.

As long as it all goes well, the registrations will open on the 11th of June and run until the 15th of June. The Tourney will begin shortly after.

Edited by SKay
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I probably won't participate, but cool idea, hope it works out well. I have a few things that are confusing me about it though.

Why does the tournament start at best of 1? I get that it saves time and is easier, but APB is way too RNG for that, not to mention defender's advantage.

Why are all snipers banned and not just the HVR and ISSR-B? I don't see how the Anubis, Scout, or DMR are unfair.

What exactly do you mean by the wording of your OCA ban? Does that mean you can only use an OCA with no mods? If so, why not just ban red mods on the OCA instead? Are reskins fine? Why not allow the OCA-EW 626 SD NFCP3 as long as you have no mods? My personal suggestions would be to make the rule "OCAs and OCA variants are only allowed without red-mods, with the exception of the OCA-EW 626 SD NFCP3, but not the PDW-57 'Kris'. The OCA Nano does not count as an OCA for this ruling."

Why teams of 3 instead of 4?

Have you considered making your own defined categories? because as it is some of the categories are slightly bizarre, E.G. the SR15, VBR, and OSCAR don't play the same role as the CR762 or OBIR. Furthermore, if you're using in-game categories, are you using categories as defined by contacts or as defined by roles? (E.G. shotguns & SMGs as opposed to Pointman.)

4 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

I probably won't participate, but cool idea, hope it works out well. I have a few things that are confusing me about it though.

Why does the tournament start at best of 1? I get that it saves time and is easier, but APB is way too RNG for that, not to mention defender's advantage.

Why are all snipers banned and not just the HVR and ISSR-B? I don't see how the Anubis, Scout, or DMR are unfair.

What exactly do you mean by the wording of your OCA ban? Does that mean you can only use an OCA with no mods? If so, why not just ban red mods on the OCA instead? Are reskins fine? Why not allow the OCA-EW 626 SD NFCP3 as long as you have no mods? My personal suggestions would be to make the rule "OCAs and OCA variants are only allowed without red-mods, with the exception of the OCA-EW 626 SD NFCP3, but not the PDW-57 'Kris'. The OCA Nano does not count as an OCA for this ruling."

Why teams of 3 instead of 4?

Have you considered making your own defined categories? because as it is some of the categories are slightly bizarre, E.G. the SR15, VBR, and OSCAR don't play the same role as the CR762 or OBIR. Furthermore, if you're using in-game categories, are you using categories as defined by contacts or as defined by roles? (E.G. shotguns & SMGs as opposed to Pointman.)

This is why this thread exists; to allow for people to construct it as they see it should be. I'll answer each point individually.

I started it at best of 1 because if I were to start it at Best of 3, it might be a right age before we can get people to the Final stages. APB I'd argue isn't that RNG. Of course if a really bad mission comes up, then I'll ask them to start over again.

All snipers are banned because people find all of them annoying (mostly). This can obviously change if people think weapons don't need to be banned, but it was an initial response.

Any stock OCA-626 and stock OCA-626 reskins are allowed, and the Nano is fine. The wording was intentional. Also all mods were banned because even culling all red mods wouldn't solve the main issue that the OCA is too powerful for it's own good. Mods exasperate the problem mostly.

Teams of 3 are the most rounded solution. Teams of 4 are too large for missions in my humble opinion, and teams of two are too small for most missions as well. It was the best compromise I could make.

Yes, my own defined categories are still being drawn up however. I wanted to get this out in good time to allow people to deliberate the core points, so that they could get a good rule-set in time. The idea is to separate shotguns and SMG's, and the SR15/OSCAR from the CR762/OBIR.

44 minutes ago, SKay said:

~snip~

Okay, that all sounds alright and good.

Would prefer unbanning the Scout. I'm also partial towards teams of 4, since it's the size I'm most comfortable with (as with many others I assume).

Which district is this taking place in, anyways? Might wanna state the server as well

Edited by Nevv
addendum

As stated before, I highly suggest not having the games go live until the Battle Eye patch is out. It would suck to have cheaters win the tourney (not saying BE will make that impossible) and it'd be even worse if you give away stuff (out of your own pocket afaik) to people who might get slammed by BattleEye.

Otherwise I'm glad the ruleset we've made might be useful after that last flop. I will support you in any way, feel free to ask. I don't know how much time I'll have though since I have to move by the end of the month and I haven't found a new place yet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SKay said:

General Rules:

1. All rivalries are to be left at the door. You are all friends here, so have fun.

Preparing myself for flamming all around the /d 

As long as the actual tournament takes place after the release of Battleye.

I always wanted tournaments like this in APB whether official or run by the community. Hope it's successful and we see more tourneys in the future

Edited by swindIe

Honest curiosity as to why certain weapon bans are in this list.

High-velocity rifles

All snipers are banned because people find all of them annoying (mostly).

Sure, they can be 'annoying', but that's not a reasonable explanation as to why the entire category is banned.

DMR: Sure, it will two shot you from 88+ meters away, destroy vehicles at an above mediocre rate, and is otherwise a stun gun when people duck in an out of cover too frequently for you to kill. Can this be annoying? Sure, but being two shot from that distance away is basically analogous to getting two shot by a shotgun. Getting killed less than that range would have been done significantly easier with a CR762, and let's be quite frank --is the more common situation.

Why not just pick up the CR762? 8 STK at 100m, has about the same vehicle stopping power as the silenced variant, and undeniably more versatile <88 meters comparatively.

I was going to break down the rest of the sniper rifles, but they all have the same issue. Their situations where they would have a competitive advantage (so aside from the player being outright better than you) is so niche that the argument for that rule starts to sound instead like, 'well, they can be annoying'. Why are these even banned on the basis of 'annoyance' when OPGL's, OSMAW's, and Rainbow Launchers aren't banned?

All of you have been around for a long time and I'm sure you can break down how other sniper rifles compare to basically any other 'weapon category' that could be used in the exact same way.

Except the HVR, which was probably the reason why this whole category was banned.

OCA-EW

Also all mods were banned because even culling all red mods wouldn't solve the main issue that the OCA is too powerful for it's own good

Has something changed while I was away? Am I missing out on the 'current trends'? Is this rule here because you can't have more than one N-Tec? Or do people simply not use Raptors anymore?

My clear bias here is that I use rifles. Alot. They're the meta. They're ideal for exploiting the defender's advantage in nearly all situations and have a very good chance against 'specialized' weapons like sniper rifles and CQC weapons. I've never had a problem where a guy with an OCA was just ripping through me and my entire team consistently. You can consistently see entire teams of "just rifles" for a reason.

OCA-EW's are definitely the most 'safest' option out of every CQC weapon and strong in it's own right, but your reasoning stated is inconsistent with the fact that something like the Raptor or N-Tec isn't banned.

The Troublemaker was overpowered because of it's versatility. The OCA-EW is just strong for it's category. I wouldn't confuse the two.

There is to be only one Spotter Modification per team. Using tagger Weapon Modification as a stack is fine, however no stacking of spotter.

... Has APB took a drastic change while I was away? So basically as I see it 3 people can cycle the cooldown of Spotter. This feels like something that sounds incredible on paper, but nonviable unless you consistently have your points on the open streets. Doing this tactic assumes that all three people will have line of sight, the reaction time, the coordination, and the aim to 'spot' every player on the enemy team at all times. This sounds like a niche tactic that you just outright ruled out for whatever reason. And honestly, if they pull it off, they deserve it --it's not exactly as easy as outright killing the other team as you see them.

Which if you couldn't tell already, is my strong preference.

I wouldn't be surprised if the meta team that came out of this was just packing loads of ammo packs, lobbed concs everywhere, had a "semi-auto", a "rifle", and a "LMG" or "Explosives Weapon". Because that's basically how the game is skewed.

• Like 1

Banning all that stuff... weak sauce.

Same goss for all rules that only apply in this tournament. 

Hit me up if you ever do an "anythig goes" tournament. You know, like APB is supposed to be played. 

weak, weak sauce

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, swindIe said:

As long as the actual tournament takes place after the release of Battleye.

I always wanted tournaments like this in APB whether official or run by the community. Hope it's successful and we see more tourneys in the future

I've decided this should be the case.

The Tourney will start after the BattlEye patch.

15 hours ago, Annoyedb said:

Honest curiosity as to why certain weapon bans are in this list.

Sure, they can be 'annoying', but that's not a reasonable explanation as to why the entire category is banned.

DMR: Sure, it will two shot you from 88+ meters away, destroy vehicles at an above mediocre rate, and is otherwise a stun gun when people duck in an out of cover too frequently for you to kill. Can this be annoying? Sure, but being two shot from that distance away is basically analogous to getting two shot by a shotgun. Getting killed less than that range would have been done significantly easier with a CR762, and let's be quite frank --is the more common situation.

Why not just pick up the CR762? 8 STK at 100m, has about the same vehicle stopping power as the silenced variant, and undeniably more versatile <88 meters comparatively.

I was going to break down the rest of the sniper rifles, but they all have the same issue. Their situations where they would have a competitive advantage (so aside from the player being outright better than you) is so niche that the argument for that rule starts to sound instead like, 'well, they can be annoying'. Why are these even banned on the basis of 'annoyance' when OPGL's, OSMAW's, and Rainbow Launchers aren't banned?

All of you have been around for a long time and I'm sure you can break down how other sniper rifles compare to basically any other 'weapon category' that could be used in the exact same way.

Except the HVR, which was probably the reason why this whole category was banned.

Has something changed while I was away? Am I missing out on the 'current trends'? Is this rule here because you can't have more than one N-Tec? Or do people simply not use Raptors anymore?

My clear bias here is that I use rifles. Alot. They're the meta. They're ideal for exploiting the defender's advantage in nearly all situations and have a very good chance against 'specialized' weapons like sniper rifles and CQC weapons. I've never had a problem where a guy with an OCA was just ripping through me and my entire team consistently. You can consistently see entire teams of "just rifles" for a reason.

OCA-EW's are definitely the most 'safest' option out of every CQC weapon and strong in it's own right, but your reasoning stated is inconsistent with the fact that something like the Raptor or N-Tec isn't banned.

The Troublemaker was overpowered because of it's versatility. The OCA-EW is just strong for it's category. I wouldn't confuse the two.

... Has APB took a drastic change while I was away? So basically as I see it 3 people can cycle the cooldown of Spotter. This feels like something that sounds incredible on paper, but nonviable unless you consistently have your points on the open streets. Doing this tactic assumes that all three people will have line of sight, the reaction time, the coordination, and the aim to 'spot' every player on the enemy team at all times. This sounds like a niche tactic that you just outright ruled out for whatever reason. And honestly, if they pull it off, they deserve it --it's not exactly as easy as outright killing the other team as you see them.

Which if you couldn't tell already, is my strong preference.

I wouldn't be surprised if the meta team that came out of this was just packing loads of ammo packs, lobbed concs everywhere, had a "semi-auto", a "rifle", and a "LMG" or "Explosives Weapon". Because that's basically how the game is skewed.

This is why the thread was created; to iron out these issues and discuss them in a fair, friendly manner. I'll answer them in points;

I didn't give an excellent breakdown of the reasoning, but let me expand on the reasonings:

The HVR: It would've been banned either way, just because of the still constant issues that have plagued it, especially in pug's I've participated in and listened in on.

Here's one of the problems in video form (made by me):

The peeking of the HVR is one reason. QSing, being another.

The other Sniper rifles suffer from the same issue of being able to peek in CQC or mid when they realistically shouldn't be. The ISSR-B can very quickly peek and is also able to moonlight as an anti-vehicle rifle at any range. The DMR is the rifle I have the least issues with, but seeing as we're banning all sniper rifles... well... it goes too.

See the rule on "one weapon per category, per person". The OCA-626 right now is untenable with the RoF buff it got. Adding mods onto it causes that untenable position to be directly threatening.

Back in the past, the OCA-626 usually went toe to toe with the PMG. Right now the OCA-626 outperforms it under nearly all circumstances. 

Pugs pedal it constantly in 4v4's, not so much in 3v3's, but it can be done.  Hence why it was banned.

4. (the secret forth point)

Consumable ammo boxes of any sort are not allowed. Also I'm still on the fence of allowing only one deployable ammo box per side, so that'd reduce nade spam further. Also conc's while they're bad are not as nade spammable as low yields. They're extremely notorious for it.

yeah the pop shooting with snipers is a really dump mechanic, its way too efficient and makes defending in a TPS game absolutely BS. should not exist that way.

Edited by LilyV3

Ooo, I'm ready for this! Time to gather the boys.

Thanks for hosting this SKay!

Edit: Will there be specific missions that are banned? Considering some missions are really unbalanced. 

What about item holds? Is it allowed to move them around? (without a car).

What about car objectives (steal, loot, etc)? Can the enemy team push these cars around with their own car?

Edited by itsExo

On 6/4/2018 at 9:07 PM, CookiePuss said:

Hit me up if you ever do an "anythig goes" tournament. You know, like APB is supposed to be played. 

weak, weak sauce

LOL. 

I love the rules. Would be fun to play against people who don't sit in a pioneer 90% of the mission and spam low yields with resupply box.

9 minutes ago, Nev said:

LOL. 

I love the rules. Would be fun to play against people who don't sit in a pioneer 90% of the mission and spam low yields with resupply box.

To each his own. 

Some people like APB, others dont.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight, you're allowed an SMG/assault rifle/sniper for example, does this mean you could run Joker Carbine/N-Tec 5/Obeya 762, or are the Carbine and N-Tec "too similar"? I'm just trying to clear this up, I'm not sure if I'm the only one confused on this.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:41 PM, NotZombieBiscuit said:

That ruleset. Actually laughable.

I didn't realize you were an advocate of competitive APB.

On 6/4/2018 at 11:07 PM, CookiePuss said:

weak, weak sauce

This is a fairly standard ruleset. Everyone I've come across that actually wanted to play this game in a competitive environment agreed several bans on weapons/equipment were necessary.

On 6/4/2018 at 4:54 PM, Vanille said:

As stated before, I highly suggest not having the games go live until the Battle Eye patch is out. It would suck to have cheaters win the tourney (not saying BE will make that impossible) and it'd be even worse if you give away stuff (out of your own pocket afaik) to people who might get slammed by BattleEye.

Otherwise I'm glad the ruleset we've made might be useful after that last flop. I will support you in any way, feel free to ask. I don't know how much time I'll have though since I have to move by the end of the month and I haven't found a new place yet.

This is probably the best advice in this thread so far, SKay.

1 minute ago, Crusade said:

This is a fairly standard ruleset. Everyone I've come across that actually wanted to play this game in a competitive environment agreed several bans on weapons/equipment were necessary.

No I get that.

It just feels wrong to me to have an "APB Tournament" of sorts only to ban a ton of stuff actually found in APB.

If you dont like a weapon or vehicle or whatever you dont have to use it. But to say others cant, just feels like sour grapes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

No I get that.

It just feels wrong to me to have an "APB Tournament" of sorts only to ban a ton of stuff actually found in APB.

If you dont like a weapon or vehicle or whatever you dont have to use it. But to say others cant, just feels like sour grapes.

honetsly with the stuff not banned it would be boring and the same crap all time with n-tecs and n-hvr's and vegas/espacio/pioneer in like 90% of the time. Thats really boring.

Am I the only one who feels like he encounters a lot of variety in loadouts when I play APB? Lol

14 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

No I get that.

I understand where you're coming from. But a lot of us feel that a lot of these things are imbalanced and unfair, so much so that it makes for a stale meta. It's too bad I never recorded some of the old in-house 4v4 clan matches we use to do with these rulesets. Some of the most fun and intense gameplay I've ever been a part of.

what car am I supposed to drive, A bugged out bishada/jericho or a balkan varguza?

Edited by hack