MattScott

4/29 Migration & Loss of data

Hi all,

On Monday, April 29th, we scheduled downtime to physically move from one data center to a new one. This move was unavoidable based on a very expensive, legacy Reloaded contract that had ended. Even though we asked for an extension, we were forced to move out before May 1st 2019.

As you know, Fallen Earth is an extremely old game. The servers run on an OS that is no longer available to download, it takes more than an hour to even reboot, and it requires many different databases that all have to be synced to operate correctly. We made backups and planned to move each system one by one into the new data center. However despite many precautions, some data was lost. The engineers have spent their waking hours attempting to find the right mix of files to get everything restored properly.

We did eventually get the system back online, but it appears roughly 2 weeks of progress was lost.

Having exhausted all other options, we are going to be putting the servers back online and moving forward.

In the meantime, we'll be doing the following to help players recover:

- We'll be giving out Commander to all players for 2 weeks to help them get caught back up

- Anyone who lost purchases due to the rollback can open a trouble ticket at http://support.gamersfirst.com, and we'll escalate getting those taken care off as quickly as we can

We're not going to start the Commander for another couple days, so that all the players can get up to speed on what has happened. I want everyone to be able to take full advantage of the boost over the coming weeks.

Please know that the team worked very hard to get us to this point, and we are committed to getting the back end re-written so it can be properly supported in the future.

EDIT: We will be turning on 2 weeks of Commander for the Fallen Earth players.

EDIT: We waited an extra couple of days to try and make sure server performance was better.

Effective 5/16, we have activated a 4 week Commander code as compensation to the players in the hopes of helping them catch up on lost progress.

The code is: FallenNot4gotten

Apologies,
Matt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

Guess i'll have to login after 4 years absence, Hope i didn't lose too much (maybe this time support can recover my 2nd account that has my vast collection of cookies)

1 question Is item stacking working yet?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zolerox said:

Guess i'll have to login after 4 years absence, Hope i didn't lose too much (maybe this time support can recover my 2nd account that has my vast collection of cookies)

Welcome back

A boost wont really compensate for all hard work and many hours put into the game. Smh ¯\__( . _.)_/¯ 

Its really awesome how much care this old goodie still gets! 

But also I can totally Unterstand the frustriation some People have i also spend a lot of my Freetime in april by playing again make a crafter and managed to get all tradeskills maxed to my lvl including all Improved and Advanced recepies.... also got premium for That Month. All this (Time spend) can just roughly be cool with a giving Commander (wich i Understand goes fix time global, so not reedemed) . Would be awesome when we could do That so we can have it the Time we want and have the Time to Play with it.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:00 AM, MattScott said:

Hi all,

On Monday, April 29th, we scheduled downtime to physically move from one data center to a new one. This move was unavoidable based on a very expensive, legacy Reloaded contract that had ended. Even though we asked for an extension, we were forced to move out before May 1st 2019.

As you know, Fallen Earth is an extremely old game. The servers run on an OS that is no longer available to download, it takes more than an hour to even reboot, and it requires many different databases that all have to be synced to operate correctly. We made backups and planned to move each system one by one into the new data center. However despite many precautions, some data was lost. The engineers have spent their waking hours attempting to find the right mix of files to get everything restored properly.

We did eventually get the system back online, but it appears roughly 2 weeks of progress was lost.

Having exhausted all other options, we are going to be putting the servers back online and moving forward.

In the meantime, we'll be doing the following to help players recover:

- We'll be giving out Commander to all players for 2 weeks to help them get caught back up

- Anyone who lost purchases due to the rollback can open a trouble ticket at http://support.gamersfirst.com, and we'll escalate getting those taken care off as quickly as we can

We're not going to start the Commander for another couple days, so that all the players can get up to speed on what has happened. I want everyone to be able to take full advantage of the boost over the coming weeks.

Please know that the team worked very hard to get us to this point, and we are committed to getting the back end re-written so it can be properly supported in the future.

Apologies,
Matt

Thank you .

On 5/5/2019 at 4:02 AM, Zolerox said:

I haven't logged for years too, are you sure because if i understood Matt said they lost the 2 last week...

5 hours ago, Kishoot said:

I haven't logged for years too, are you sure because if i understood Matt said they lost the 2 last week...

Your good. It only affected players who played within those times that got wiped

• Thanks 2

On 5/4/2019 at 9:00 PM, MattScott said:

its commander allready activade?

Anyone else having problems, when character selection your character wont appear ? Takes 5 times to log in and logg off it to appear.

16 minutes ago, Zadman said:

Anyone else having problems, when character selection your character wont appear ? Takes 5 times to log in and logg off it to appear.

Logging in is slow, You just have to wait for the characters to appear. Then select the toon and click Play. Then it takes a min or 2 again to get in game.

Edited by Riverwind

Yes..affecting me ...and quite a few others have mentioned it..assume its likely affecting everyone.

Plus mail isnt to hot...unparking cars / mounts laggy...switching between clan and normal vault lagged so bad a few times i thought my clan vault had been trashed lol.

Setting and completing crafts a tad laggy too.

I find that if u check the perform complete file check box at login screen your characters appear right away

Edited by Killenkittens

34 minutes ago, Killenkittens said:

I find that if u check the perform complete file check box at login screen your characters appear right away

i did and even re installed game still same . But ok will see maybe we need new maint.

ok  2min waiting then works fine thank you all 🙂

43 minutes ago, Killenkittens said:

Edited 27 minutes ago by Killenkittens

Nope ...worse than before....seemed to hang completely after file check.

will try a few relogs / relaunches.

A few relaunches maybe helped initial load screen time of toons a lil.

Toon switch seems just as laggy as before.

File check does force a re collation of data..so maybe that helps a lil on initial toon load screen.

But seems no affect on other issues.

Edited by miketam
test

Hm server had another embolism? Toon wont switch now...relaunched...took aaaaaages to load toons. clicked toon...gets helpfull message "your toon has failed to load" like i hadnt noticed.

Trys others...all are refusing to load.

A few relaunches from deskton eventually lets me load a toon in....

Edited by miketam

7 hours ago, tiago0182 said:

its commander allready activade?

If so I've not seen it yet 

Games worse than before the lag is worse I’m finding it hard to play now a days.  theirs just a handful of players left without them the game is dead 

Hello,

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Several players reported the issue while loading/switching characters and we are currently investigating.

We know how frustrating it can be especially after the downtime and the team is working hard to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your patience,

Rax

• Thanks 1