Sign in to follow this  
XYXYXYXYX

cpu upgrade

My i7 4790 has finally started to struggle with new games, namely BFV (was fine for a bit until all these shitty patches started coming and making performance worse with each update) . The avg fps isn't 'bad' (80-100) depends on how much of a clusterfvk is going on but it isn't stable so I'll drop to 55-60fps at least every two minutes. So I'm not doing this upgrade because of apb but I want to make sure that apb doesn't end up performing worse at least. Because I've been eyeing the Ryzen 2700x or 2600x and I'm not sure how well they would handle a game like apb that's so heavy on 2? cores.

I also know zen 3 isn't super far away but bfv along with apb and ffxiv are my most played games and right now bfv is super frustrating at times due to the drops so I'm not sure I want to wait. I could also get a i7 8700k instead but I've been trying to avoid that due to already having spent $600 on a rtx 2070 back in late December before I had purchased bfv to learn that my cpu was no longer up to par but it was also time to upgrade the ol 970. So yeah if anyone with a ryzen 2700x or 2600x could tell me what's life like in apb with it I'd appreciate it a ton.

Right so basically to dim this down for everyone else. 

CPU upgrade needed. Should he go AMD or Intel to suit his RTX 2700.

My personal preference and probably not anyone else's due to the cost but i went for the Intel route before the Ryzen hype. I've been told many times that the Ryzen is unbelievable, however the people i know who have a Ryzen seem to only have issues on EA games, whether this is just EA, probably... I couldn't tell you. So best not to go off my advice.

Intel on the other hand, I've had no issue with my CPU. Gone through two GFX cards in this time - 1070 and now a 1080 and its performed divine. 140 FPS on APB usually bobs around 140ish constantly unless render lag or something. However now the Ryzen is taking flight its probably the most viable and cost efficient way to go.

I can't see APB struggling anymore than it already does on your computer tbh, any upgrade will improve it somewhat.

Get a 144hz monitor 

Edited by Watson_

19 minutes ago, Watson_ said:

Right so basically to dim this down for everyone else. 

CPU upgrade needed. Should he go AMD or Intel to suite his RTX 2700.

My personal preference and probably not anyone else's due to the cost but i went for the Intel route before the Ryzen hype. I've been told many times that the Ryzen is unbelievable, however the people i know who have a Ryzen seem to only have issues on EA games, whether this is just EA, probably... I couldn't tell you. So best not to go off my advice.

Intel on the other hand, I've had no issue with my CPU. Gone through two GFX cards in this time - 1070 and now a 1080 and its performed divine. 140 FPS on APB usually bobs around 140ish constantly unless render lag or something. However now the Ryzen is taking flight its probably the most viable and cost efficient way to go.

I can't see APB struggling anymore than it already does on your computer tbh, any upgrade will improve it somewhat.

Get a 144hz monitor 

I got the ASUS VG248QE 3 years ago for $200 but once I get my cpu sorted a 1440p 144hz monitor is next on my list.

Wait for Zen 2/Ryzen 3000, either these new chips will seduce you with their higher IPC / clocks, or you'll prefer a cheaper Ryzen 2000 CPU. I personally use a 1600X clocked at 4 GHz and don't have any issue in any of my games. APB's fps is pretty stable at 73-74 fps (75 Hz Freesync manual lock for more smoothness). A friend of mine also uses a Ryzen 7 1700 along with a GTX 1080 and a 165 HZ monitor, he doesn't have much trouble keeping the fps above 110-120 fps even on the highest settings.

Not sure picking your PC around APB at the moment is the best idea. Aside from the fact that it runs like crap and you can only brute force it with single thread performance, which basically amounts to "buy the most expensive CPU you can, even though you mightn't need it for anything else", the Engine Upgrade might actually be a tangible thing some time in the next few months rather than an idle fantasy.

I'm running a Ryzen 2600 (no x) and I don't have any issues with Battlefield V (or iRacing, or Project CARS 2, or Metro Exodus and a couple of other things), and as far as APB goes, leaving it unlocked it bounces around 90-120 fps for the most part on high graphics settings. Occasionally might drop lower in Asylum or if four people unload NFASes on me at once. I locked it to 60 (cos I couldn't be bothered looking for 120fps pure gaming in this game) and it doesn't stutter below it. An i7 8700k would obviously out-perform it, but it is a more expensive chip.

Remember to factor in the cost of a new motherboard and RAM whichever one you pick.

Edited by MrChan

Phi. If you build PC for APB (and APB only) might as well use Intel Quad core.

Not like it makes huge difference with how game runs.

Sign in to follow this