onionopinions

Opinions on car gameplay

Right now, vehicles basically give you a form of invincibility the moment you hop inside one. It's incredibly easy to drive away from someone. A team of 4 espacios on defence can be very difficult to counter.

Vehicles have been like this as long as APB has existed so I'm sure plenty won't want a change but it's hard to deny the benefits to car gaming and it can get pretty tedious at times. 

What are your opinions on the current status of car gameplay and what are your ideas on fixing it? (if you think it should be fixed)

Edited by onionopinions
  • Like 1

only thing i hate about people and cars are the nerds who rush u jump out, and because the server is shit their character appears in a completely different location than what your client dicates

so ur shooting at a ghost and then poof u dead because the dude was ACKTUAALLY 5 meters to the right of the ghost

• Like 1

As a car gameplayer myself these days I can say that it is a terrible concept, terrible game design overall and it needs to be nerfed somehow because this is far from competitive.

Same for grenades.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, onionopinions said:

Right now, vehicles basically give you a form of invincibility the moment you hop inside one. It's incredibly easy to drive away from someone. A team of 4 espacios on defence can be very difficult to counter.

Vehicles have been like this as long as APB has existed so I'm sure plenty won't want a change but it's hard to deny the benefits to car gaming and it can get pretty tedious at times. 

What are your opinions on the current status of car gameplay and what are your ideas on fixing it? (if you think it should be fixed)

You wouldn't say the same facing me with my Swarm - Killer Bee, Anti vehicle weapons are really useful, but not that common in the game meta.

i hate the espacio and pioneer...its basically what almost everyone drives. its tanky as hell and has good speed. Easy acceleration when you hit nos

I think its fucking stupid youre invincible till the moment you jump out but this will never be changed.

Pussies who just drive around in a car and jump out ontop of you with smg or shotgun are really pathetic xd

2 minutes ago, Keshi said:

i hate the espacio and pioneer...its basically what almost everyone drives. its tanky as hell and has good speed. Easy acceleration when you hit nos

Espacio is actually pretty patootie tbh.  Nitros doesnt even do anything for it because its so fat.

Vehicle health is too spread out between different cars and also too high on the "meta" ones, Espacio, Pioneer and Vegas should definitely have less. It isn't nearly as easy to do "car gameplay" in a Jericho for example.

Also the fact that high burn fuel eliminates the explosion (instead of just mitigating it/halving its radius as it should IMO) contributes as it basically eliminates the inherent risk of staying for too long in one's car. 

I believe if vehicle health was normalized and reduced to a maximum of say 1250 for the tankiest cars, and high burn fuel reworked as stated above, there would be less complaints about this topic. 

Additionally, "car gameplay" is not the only problem caused by too sturdy vehicles, car spawners and radar towers just take too much investment of time, ammunition and/or grenades to be destroyed. 

31 minutes ago, Flaws said:

As a car gameplayer myself these days I can say that it is a terrible concept, terrible game design overall and it needs to be nerfed somehow because this is far from competitive.

Same for grenades.

Agree on both counts, it is very bad for player retention and gives a cheesy/boring impression of APB's gameplay. This being mostly to new players who happen to watch streams at a level where this tactic is pretty much necessary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alani said:

only thing i hate about people and cars are the nerds who rush u jump out, and because the server is shit their character appears in a completely different location than what your client dicates

so ur shooting at a ghost and then poof u dead because the dude was ACKTUAALLY 5 meters to the right of the ghost

just always make sure u get out ur car while it's in a powerslide so it messes with your character and fricks ur enemies aim up!

I am pretty happy with the overall balance and feeling between on foot/vehicle gameplay.

Only things I would change is try to fix that stupid desync bug and maybe make people more vulnerable during enter/exit animations.

• Like 1

Penalizing the players who jump out of the car while car speed exceeds certain limit would make sence and make it more fair. Character would fall down, or received the stamina and health damage according to car speed.

Edited by AxeTurboAgresor
  • Like 3

I see my vehicles as equally equipment to help me in my mission, not just as a vehicles.

My favourite vehicle is the pioneer and that's partly telling of my nature, I am a utilitarian kind of person but that comes from working with emergency and disaster response teams. One might say I'm a prepper...

With that said, that doesn't mean the pioneer is my go to vehicle every time despite deep down I want it, It just isn't necessary though. 

Things I really do not like about vehicle in APB are down to APB's coding and not the vehicles themselves:

-Bulletproof windows on all vehicles.

-Wheels are not a physical part of the vehicle hitbox and as such shots to them do no count. Also no punctures.

-Jumping out of the way of a vehicle can still kill... When a Macchina Calabria pulls out at 10mph and you jump over it clear yet still die, It's just plain stupid!

-Exiting a moving vehicle does no injury

-Carsurfer (with exceptions of pickup trucks, then it's cool!)

Everything else I dislike about vehicles are just little tweaks with suspension (Boardwing and Moirai), Acceleration (Dump truck and Moirai), Handling (Bank truck and Moirai), Vehicle ground clearance (Vegas 4x4 and Moirai) and Vehicle kits in general (T-25, Fresno...) and Moirai?

Honestly, this is one of those things where you make the most of what you got and it's your digression on how you use them.

I have a unmarked Packer Ceresco with Extra Cargo, Quick Fix and Nitro to counter ram raiders on my enforcer.

I also have unmarked Sieyo Espacio with Muffler, No siren and Mobile supply unit for stealthy approach for my team when I know there are opponents at the next objective.

It wouldn't be unheard of for people to use vehicles as getaway cars.

• Like 1

Finally someone pointing out this horrible game tactic, I totally agree for a nerf, or anything that could change the current state of pioneers and seiyos.

As flaws says it's far from competitive and I believe some players think they're doing right playing that way, you guys are not.

Hoping to see this thread being taken as a serious case.

My favorite "cheesing" tactic is abusing car mechanics if it's possible.

It's easy to anyone. Just grab car, drive everywhere, jump out when enemy is exposed, jump in when you are about to die, drive off if you are in danger.

It probably wouldn't be that much of thing if players inside car would be exposed.

Edited by Mitne

Oh another thing:

As much as I love abusing this, the instant teleport in to cars if the side is blocked really should get changed.

Just now, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Oh another thing:

As much as I love abusing this, the instant teleport in to cars if the side is blocked really should get changed.

Well... but what alternative you propose?

Being totally cut off from entering car?

2 minutes ago, Mitne said:

Well... but what alternative you propose?

Being totally cut off from entering car?

Yeah that's the issue it would cause and I really don't know how to solve that.  In most cases you just enter the vehicle from the passenger side instead but in some rare cases it would completely lock the vehicle from use. Maybe if both sides are blocked it teleports?

MOD: Stop approving my posts so quickly. Give it some fuckin time.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

Just now, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Yeah that's the issue it would cause and I really don't know how to solve that.  In most cases you just enter the vehicle from the passenger side instead but in some rare cases it would completely lock the vehicle from use. Maybe if both sides are blocked it teleports?

MOD: stop approving my posts so quickly.

Also teleporting in car is half problem, entering animation is so fast that it's easy to skip "last chance" to shot guy down.

Just now, Mitne said:

Also teleporting in car is half problem, entering animation is so fast that it's easy to skip "last chance" to shot guy down.

Doesn't help that like 75% of that animation you are invulnerable. 

Entering/leaving a car should have more restrictions. You don't just enter a car in under 2 seconds. This should be a bit longer, without godmode half of the animation lol.

Teleporting in and out shouldn't really be, either. I understand that with 2 seaters there's really no way around this, because if teleporting got removed you could get griefed very easily, so it should at least exist for the exiting part. But just popping into your vehicle, that has all its entry points blocked, allowing you to, say, survive fatal damage... Thats just hella sus imho

Desync is probably gonna be here for a long time, at least until we get the better engine.

1 hour ago, Lyfeld said:

Vehicle health is too spread out between different cars and also too high on the "meta" ones, Espacio, Pioneer and Vegas should definitely have less. It isn't nearly as easy to do "car gameplay" in a Jericho for example.

Also the fact that high burn fuel eliminates the explosion (instead of just mitigating it/halving its radius as it should IMO) contributes as it basically eliminates the inherent risk of staying for too long in one's car. 

I believe if vehicle health was normalized and reduced to a maximum of say 1250 for the tankiest cars, and high burn fuel reworked as stated above, there would be less complaints about this topic. 

Additionally, "car gameplay" is not the only problem caused by too sturdy vehicles, car spawners and radar towers just take too much investment of time, ammunition and/or grenades to be destroyed. 

Agree on both counts, it is very bad for player retention and gives a cheesy/boring impression of APB's gameplay. This being mostly to new players who happen to watch streams at a level where this tactic is pretty much necessary. 

i agree on a lot of points except perhaps 1250 max vehicle health, that seems a tad low

i think a small buff to antivehicle weapons  would/could also be an option, as only half of them are truly useful with the current vehicle meta 

For all the posts here saying how abusive teleporting into a car that is partially obstructed is.

There are going to at least equally as much if not more complaints when people can't get into their cars at times when there isn't an opponent near by and time is critical for the mission.

Again, I have no trouble getting into a car in under 2 seconds if it's lock car with a remote key fob that i have possession of or an unlocked car.

When taking an NPS car with an NPC in it, there is a delay as the driver has to be removed, stolen and enforcer commandeered vehicles are already unlocked so...

Sorry to the OP and everyone else but this personally I feel this is one of those times when we all need to suck it up because I'm sure a number of those who already posted also in support of the OP would also complain if they couldn't get into their own cars in a reasonable manner.

When I engage in carplay, my opp just switches to concs and AV weapons.

I then have to stop carplaying.

Seems to be working fine to me.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keshi said:

Vegas is way faster and only has 250 less HP than the 'Tanky' cars.

7 minutes ago, ZoriaDunne said:

Vegas is way faster and only has 250 less HP than the 'Tanky' cars.

Vegas is shit for cover.

You can stand (and therefore sprint) behind the Pioneer and Espacio.

Withe the vegas you are forced to crouch for cover, making your feet easy targets.

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

Vegas is shit for cover.

You can stand (and therefore sprint) behind the Pioneer and Espacio.

Withe the vegas you are forced to crouch for cover, making your feet easy targets.

Some ppl shoot at your feet with Seiyo/Pioneer really accurate anyways.