Lixil

Extended Server Maintenance (Monday 4/29/2019)

Just now, Rubbermade said:

gonna take me forever to check my alts craft ques pretty sure all are completed lol

Be sure to check for the duping bug

the lag giveth and the lag taketh away

or hows this one   if life hands you a bushel of lags you make lagonade

Edited by theemole
i believe

1 minute ago, NIMPO said:

is it back yet 

nope, they still have troubles with timeouts between servers...says its "online" atm but u just cant have the char select screen, so...

Maybe is better not to try to log-in in game before Matt say we can, this trying can only make things worst.

16 minutes ago, ChrisKrypton said:

C'mon tech team give us something

6850063a-c520-44db-badc-af90f312aea1._SL

with the compliments of the house 😄

Edited by zefcool

3 minutes ago, theemole said:

soy beans?

you wouldnt recognize a peanut if it was in your brain 😮 jk

Edited by zefcool

Hi all,

I can’t know how frustrating it is for everyone right now. I wish I had more details to give out. Fallen Earth is a collection of many databases and many different servers that all have to mesh together properly for us to unlock the doors and let players in. There were problems in the move and in the restore process that we are still working out.

To give you an idea of how old and large the game is, it takes over and hour to full reboot everything and come back online. That means we make some changes, but then wait significant amounts of time just to see the results. Then we make more changes and then wait some more. It’s been extremely frustrating.

The team is going to continue working on the servers this weekend till they are online properly.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Thank you.  We appreciate every update and tidbit.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattScott said:

it takes over and hour to full reboot everything and come back online. That means we make some changes, but then wait significant amounts of time just to see the results. Then we make more changes and then wait some more.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Now that sounds like a real pain in the patootie. I think we can all say that we appreciate the team working through this problem. Thank y'all

im new to the forum and game got to play a few weeks ago but its been a week now and my free time iff well lets grab a beer and wait

2 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

I can’t know how frustrating it is for everyone right now. I wish I had more details to give out. Fallen Earth is a collection of many databases and many different servers that all have to mesh together properly for us to unlock the doors and let players in. There were problems in the move and in the restore process that we are still working out.

To give you an idea of how old and large the game is, it takes over and hour to full reboot everything and come back online. That means we make some changes, but then wait significant amounts of time just to see the results. Then we make more changes and then wait some more. It’s been extremely frustrating.

The team is going to continue working on the servers this weekend till they are online properly.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Matt

4 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Thanks Matt and the crew for hanging in there, perhaps this is good learning curve for future plans too.

16 minutes ago, MattScott said:

To give you an idea of how old and large the game is, it takes over and hour to full reboot everything and come back online

hi, were there no plans of hardware upgrade that would speed up the boot and troubleshooting to begin with ?

seems like move the relics first and upgrade them to 2019 standards for FE 2.0 project was a bad idea, relics died in the middle...

maybe its a clue to upgrade the hardware now rather than later ?

22 minutes ago, nicerackofribs said:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Now that sounds like a real pain in the patootie. I think we can all say that we appreciate the team working through this problem. Thank y'all

Consider this the software for the game itself is almost 10 years old... that's a lot of database files.. and stuff they have to migrate and fix... 

15 minutes ago, Rygaku said:

Consider this the software for the game itself is almost 10 years old... that's a lot of database files.. and stuff they have to migrate and fix... 

Here is another stupid idea of mine....... Would it make sense to load a bare bones version of the game so the servers launch quicker for testing....Then once it's functioning reload the backup?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zefcool said:

hi, were there no plans of hardware upgrade that would speed up the boot and troubleshooting to begin with ?

seems like move the relics first and upgrade them to 2019 standards for FE 2.0 project was a bad idea, relics died in the middle...

maybe its a clue to upgrade the hardware now rather than later ?

We can't upgrade the hardware. And the code for the servers runs on an OS that isn't available any more.

For the move, we made images of everything. Backed up everything. And then moved the hardware 1 to 1, so as not to disrupt anything.

Even with all of our precautions, we still have problems.

My approach is to upgrade the code first and then we can update the hardware properly. That effort has been underway for quite a while now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChrisKrypton said:

Here is another stupid idea of mine....... Would it make sense to load a bare bones version of the game so the servers launch quicker for testing....Then once it's functioning reload the backup?

That seems like a phenomenal idea!

45 minutes ago, zefcool said:

-snip-

You should look up what the Dunning Kruger Effect is, it's an interesting read.  C :

Edit: Meant light heartedly.

Edited by Skippicaa
  • Thanks 1

i expected the move to be a nightmare just not this bad a dream. keep up the battle you will win in the end

• Like 1