Sign in to follow this  
Seadee

Gang War - District Control

I was pretty sure this had been posted before, but i cant seem to find it anywhere, it might be in the big Clan thread that @Esther created.

A lot of people (myself included) have been asking for a area control district for a long time, with RIOT in testing it looks very much like the idea we had... sort of, of course the method in which it is employed in RIOT is to prevent your access and close down the district, like in BR, the way Gang War would work was more in tune with Planetside, in which each "area" has a control point which you can capture, you would spend your time in district capturing these control points for your side, at the end of an allotted time, the district would be reset and anyone who participated would receive rewards based on effort put in.

now if this is an idea for a future Riot mode / season, then good stuff.

if not, then consider adding this after the update as i feel it is more akin to the concept and lore of APB than the current RIOT mode (though im not going to complain about content and development, keep it up)

1. players start at opposite sides of the map - maybe location can be randomised for a change of pace each reset.
2. even split of control points between sides, players can only capture points that are connected to their current points - encourages combat situations

3. Timer could be 6/12/24 hours giving everyone a chance to participate, players get points for kills/assists/arrests/point captures/defending - no pressure to get in and play, but more rewarding if you do, points translate to Cash, Joker Tickets and Riot Tokens.
4. when the Timer is over you send rewards to the players who played based on % player points vs total points for the team.
5. rest the map, relocate the spawns, set it all off again.

you could mix the maps up add barricades and block certain roads off to add a bit of a all out street war feel as if it has all totally gone to shit, it's an opportunity to realise what 10 years of fighting in the streets would do to a city... you could even then apply those or some of those changes to the actual districts (maybe use the gang war as a method of introducing map changes)

you could also use the global mission system (i dont know what you call it, but thats what i call it) to channel players to certain areas, make some control points "extra special" at certain times, that give additional rewards to players who complete the objective, this would artificially create focus points for battle, giving the illusion of a fuller district (you dont want people wandering around for hours fighting no one)

alternatively, you could lock down the areas in which you can fight in (using the gas mechanic) so that only certain control points are accessible at any one time, forcing the fight to happen in a smaller area (about the size of 2 fight clubs perhaps) once a winner has been determined those control points turn to their colour and the zone shifts to another set, half crim, half enfo, rinse and repeat until the global timer is up, hot dog we have a winner!

Anyway, im sure this could be fleshed out more, feel free to comment with your ideas people, i'll add them to this post if they are any good.

Edited by Seadee
Changed the control point ownership
  • Like 8

RIOT SHOULD BE AN DISTRICT WAR IDEA NOT BR

like battlefield / call of duty games do its well known idea and will hit the spot in this engine we have RN
i could say you can left half of the things from Actual RIOT and just make an WAR District adding some delays in respawns (like 10-15seconds) so not all players will be at map all the time - lefting that cash on floor idea and weapons crates idea too which will be placed randomly on map or on HOLD points + cash(that riot one so u can spawn car etc.) could be earned by standing in hold areas over time killing assists etc as mension above.

• Like 1

I like this idea - the only issue I can imagine is.. how do you make districts not feel empty? I guess you'd have to cordon off sections of the city for every round to reduce downtime

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, Nitronik said:

I like this idea - the only issue I can imagine is.. how do you make districts not feel empty? I guess you'd have to cordon off sections of the city for every round to reduce downtime

that's what the dynamic mission/objective bits are for and the fact that you can only capture when you are edge to edge, perhaps you make it so both sides start with 50% of the map, then activate key objectives to encourage/focus the fight? 

i suppose you could have it so only a few sections per "round" are open and you fight in that area for supremacy, then when the "round" finishes a batch of new areas "open" and the old ones "close" a whole game could consist of however many rounds it took to fight for the whole district.

-- added to OP

Edited by Seadee
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ZoriaDunne said:

Riot SHOULD've been this instead of a crappy BR.

it can be one day, baby steps though, they've got some solid foundations in game logic, they just need to stick it together with some other systems and smooth it all out, i imagine its something for after engine upgrades though.

Edited by Seadee
i am not apb

On 5/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, ZoriaDunne said:

Riot SHOULD've been this instead of a crappy BR.

This pretty much is the description of the whole "Turf War" Concept, Real Time Worlds intended to have 2 additional game modes for APB:All Point Bulletin.

Anarchy the battle royale game mode (more simplified than RIOT), and Turf War which would of been a multi clan / team deathmatch with territory capture and hold. GamersFirst being GamersFirst used the Anarchy title to make a Chaos district to just test Fight Club mechanics and server stress test.

In the end Real Time Worlds only end up doing something like 80% of the game and a lot of concepts and content either was butchered to finish the game or was just outright shelved before the business went under.

Today... Battle royales is what is trending. It is the better business move for Little Orbit to entice new players to a APB, make a REALLY old game feel more modern, and financially more of a safer investment with more potential for profit.

Edited by VickyFox
typo
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:32 AM, VickyFox said:

In the end Real Time Worlds only end up doing something like 80% of the game and a lot of concepts and content either was butchered to finish the game or was just outright shelved before the business went under.

80% of first of 3 concepts of game modes ;)