Rhiza

Game keeps crashing - no idea why

As title says, APB keeps crashing infrequently. I've just tried to play 3 times and I can't even complete a mission before I get a CTD or the program becomes non-responsive. However, I played fight club last night for about 3 hours with no problem, but mission districts keep crashing me within minutes.

I have checked the APBGame logs, but I can't see anything useful for telling me what's going on. One of them from today ends with "[APB Catcher] Out of memory!", but I don't understand why as I had at least 2GB RAM not being used. I've had this problem continually and have changed nothing about my PC since before it started happening regularly.

Using the launcher repair option and reinstalling seems to make no difference whatsoever. I've looked around for other solutions but so far nothing helpful. Anyone else had this?

Edited by Rhiza

Hello,

Years ago when I first started playing APB, can't quite remember my PC specs but it was the same. (Was so long ago I can't remember what solved it, driver issue or game needed patching)

What hardware are you using?

• CPU
  • GFX card
  • RAM

Anudureju, I may have 992 posts to date and it is apparent that I am asking the right questions and know how to read.

Where do you see in the OP that 2GB is the amount of RAM in his/her PC?

Clearly states 2GB RAM not being used. <this alone implies over 2GB.

My questions are not "low" they are crucial for gain further knowledge, something which you have overlooked.

Please if you have issues with another user's comment either PM or keep it to yourself as such actions serve in the interest of no one.

3 hours ago, ElectroStingz said:

Hello,

Years ago when I first started playing APB, can't quite remember my PC specs but it was the same. (Was so long ago I can't remember what solved it, driver issue or game needed patching)

What hardware are you using?

• CPU
  • GFX card
  • RAM

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

GPU: Radeon R9 380 4GB

RAM: 8GB

I know my CPU is stable, if a little outdated, graphics drivers are up to date and my RAM isn't faulty. I'm going to test some more as after I made this post, I managed to play again for an hour and a half without issue.

Edited by Rhiza

APB can cause temps to run higher, on older boards the VRM area (place on motherboard which supplies power to the CPU) can struggle which causes instability.

For testing purposes if you can place a big fan at the side of the pc case, with the side panel removed just to see what happens when playing.

Memory is a strange area, swap the memory sticks around to see what happens.

Why do you believe your RAM isn't faulty? <have you done tests? (I'm asking because details are important 🙂)

Do you know what kind of temperatures your PC runs at?

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by ElectroStingz

On 6/3/2018 at 9:55 PM, ElectroStingz said:

APB can cause temps to run higher, on older boards the VRM area (place on motherboard which supplies power to the CPU) can struggle which causes instability.

For testing purposes if you can place a big fan at the side of the pc case, with the side panel removed just to see what happens when playing.

Memory is a strange area, swap the memory sticks around to see what happens.

Why do you believe your RAM isn't faulty? <have you done tests? (I'm asking because details are important 🙂)

Do you know what kind of temperatures your PC runs at?

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy.

I play many newer games that strain my PC more than APB does and I never have issues with those. Extra ventilation doesn't seem to make any difference.

I haven't tested my RAM recently, but again, I'm not getting any kind of memory or crashing issues in any other game I regularly play or daily PC use so I have no reason to suspect it.

I just did a test with hwmonitor running. The game started up okay and I joined a Waterfront silver district with 3 empty player slots. I got into a mission, died in a fight and the game crashed again before my body even hit the floor. There was about two minutes between my first in-world spawn and the crash. Here's the average temperature stats hwmonitor recorded:

Idle:

MB: 56 °C (142 °F)

CPU: 59 °C (137 °F) (All cores)

GPU: 40 °C (104 °F)

At crash time:

MB: 65 °C (149 °F)

CPU: 73 °C (163 °F) (All cores)

GPU: 58 °C (136 °F)

Edited by Rhiza

The Idle temp is high, should be closer to 30 deg C.

The max operating temp range is 62 Deg C for your CPU.

APB is like a stress test, it causes the CPU to draw more power which can cause it to be unstable.

Did you manage to place a fan directly over the motherboard?

If you are able to try 1 stick of RAM at a time (hope you have 2x4GB) to see what happens it will help determine if it is temp related.