MattScott

Full RIOT Rundown

Yeah the seasonal reward system leaves a bad taste in my mouth, nothing about that system is consumer friendly. I agree with other posters in the thread. Feels like LO just lifted successful things from other BR's wholesale and dumped them into a game where nobody wants them.

The gamemode sounds fun, the reward structure sounds like garbage.

5 minutes ago, MattScott said:

All of the paid pass or extra token elements will launch down the road. So we have time to continue tweaking them prior to launch in order to be easier to understand.

But we intentional did not toss new things in ARMAS, since that's what our predecessors focused on.

Instead we decided to add a fair amount of new content for free to everyone who wants to play the new mode.

Even though the kind of content G1 pushed through ARMAS was hyper specific themed clothing items, underwhelming or overwhelming guns, gambling and high prices which was fairly difficult to justify buying and left a stain in the community.

Does this mean no new content will be coming through ARMAS as instantly and freely obtainable content?

When the season pass system in other games, is content locked behind a combination of paywalls, progression walls and timed availability this seems like an odd choice for a game that besides gunplay is the overwhelming amount of freely available customization. It also still remains to be seen what quality of content will come through the season pass.

What does this mean for future content as a whole if people have to pay, play and make time for content with the upcoming RIOT mode, what about content in other areas of the game in the future?

I understand that i may be thinking too far ahead but these were the questions that came to me upon reading the new RIOT information.

• Like 1

I don't mind the idea of season thingy actually because like it said, it's better than 'burying it deep in contact progression'.

I feel that the contact progression in this game is too long so this is kind of a plus. Let's just hope the items and decent and this riot mode is somewhat fun. (and that it's not that hard to get these items or else it defeats the purpose)

edit: although this probably doesn't apply to 99.9% of the player base because they reached max rank 

Edited by Vexxous
additional information
  • Like 2

Wow, really.. i am so EXCITED for this mode.. only from now, damn.. you guys done an awesome work, all that new content for free.. with an addition of the Season Pass of RIOT and special/limited items.. im literally crying.

Can't wait to join April 24, too if i will have something like 150/180 ms because im European, i don't care, i need to see this Beast.

Sure, it will need work and attention but im sure you will do the best.

God.. i wasn't happy like that since.. i don't even remember, thank you Little Orbit, see you soon on NA. ❤️

Thanks for this Matt, this new mode looks like a lot of fun and clearly a lot of thought has been put into making it APB-compatible and distinguishing it from standard BR games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kewlin said:

On a serious note though, limited time content is limited time content, and I don't care if it's through the season, the RIOT shop, or comes directly from Matt Scott's pleasant fellow, I don't want it in APB. If it goes on ARMAS afterward, fine <snip>.

I think there are a percentage of players who love the idea of exclusive items that they earned and no one else can get.

Alternatively, there are players like you that hate exclusive items.

I'm actually more in your camp right now, but Little Orbit lives in G1's shadow.
We are applying a lot of caution in what we choose to put in ARMAS until we can get more free content into the game.

Anything we release specifically to ARMAS needs to have a nice well designed, feel to it.

Having said that, I also have no problem giving players a chance to earn items for free during a time limited period, then putting those things on ARMAS later, as long as we don't do it right away. For me, going straight to ARMAS cheapens the effort of some players who spent time to earn the rewards. Additionally there are a *small* amount of things that I do want to keep exclusive, but most of those shouldn't be desirable outside of the players who participated.

I acknowledge that we haven't followed this strategy yet, but mostly because enough time hasn't passed yet, and some of the items we have given away so far aren't really ARMAS-worthy.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kewlin said:

IMO this is something that should never happen to APB. So much of APB is about having fun with customizing shit to your hearts content, and if there starts to be any sizable amount of limited time cosmetics in APB the game will quite honestly start to suck.

Hey, we finally agree on this.
I remember we discussed Limited-time content before LO took over, in a thread concerning redistribution of the Asylum skin.

Also, thanks Matt for acknowledging most of the concerns we voice out on the forums. A+ PR management.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Talla said:

in a thread concerning redistribution of the Asylum skin.

Talla.  more details , can you recall the essence of the case ?

Not sure if I understood 100% how it works but, you have to make money to unlock your weapons every new match?

I really though it was going to be a map control game mode like on Planetside 2, and when time is over the faction with more map capture wins.

29 minutes ago, MattScott said:

I'm actually more in your camp right now, but Little Orbit lives in G1's shadow.
We are applying a lot of caution in what we choose to put in ARMAS until we can get more free content into the game.

Anything we release specifically to ARMAS needs to have a nice well designed, feel to it.

Having said that, I also have no problem giving players a chance to earn items for free during a time limited period, then putting those things on ARMAS later, as long as we don't do it right away. For me, going straight to ARMAS cheapens the effort of some players who spent time to earn the rewards. Additionally there are a *small* amount of things that I do want to keep exclusive, but most of those shouldn't be desirable outside of the players who participated.

What if instead of bringing the same items into the ARMAS store after the riot season ends, you add a different variant of the same item?

EX: When you play RIOT and earn a helmet, it'll come with a really cool, season specific default texture on it to show that you earned it when it was available before. 

Then later, when it's available in ARMAS, the same helmet is available, but without the special texture.

Both versions should be customizable too, though.

Also, I can't seem to understand whether the items in the RIOT pass are earnable for free or not? What does buying the pass get you that playing for free doesn't?

Edited by Helix Reloaded
minor edits
  • Like 1

Just now, Helix Reloaded said:

What does buying the pass get you that playing for free doesn't?

maybe let's build a purely paid world ?  if I'm not mistaken according to the weekly survey : 50% of players play for a fee , 40% of players play for free .

1 minute ago, Yood said:

maybe let's build a purely paid world ?  if I'm not mistaken according to the weekly survey : 50% of players play for a fee , 40% of players play for free .

what?

im asking what part of the event is for free and what isn't.

y u gotta be like this yood

Edited by Helix Reloaded

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

I think there are a percentage of players who love the idea of exclusive items that they earned and no one else can get.

Alternatively, there are players like you that hate exclusive items.

I acknowledge that we haven't followed this strategy yet, but mostly because enough time hasn't passed yet, and some of the items we have given away so far aren't really ARMAS-worthy.

Thanks,
Matt

Yeah yeah, waiting before you put things on ARMAS is fine fam, just as long as it's there eventually.  ❤️

IDK what you're saying though about nothing ARMAS worthy, people would be lining up to get the Autumn Assault skin. (Sidenote #1: it feels like I'm the only person who likes and uses the Autumn Assault skin at all, so thanks for making me my own personal skin.)

What kind of things are you thinking of BTW as far as things that would be exclusive? I'm assuming things kinda' like the Asylum skin or something? or just like titles? or what? (Sidenote #2: as someone who owns the Asylum skin and loves it, I feel like you should totally release a Chinese knock-off "Institution" skin. I'm telling you man, it'd be great.)

Oh, and BTW, sorry I didn't say anything earlier, but thanks for the premium psuedo P2W removal, that'll be nice. I understand why G1 put it there, but it really is annoying having players without premium be gimped.

I hope that with the launch of riot you will “make noise” to attract NEW players, not just the old ones. Tell about APB: Battle Royale wherever. 

"HYPE" should not be limited to forum. I hope you have thought about this moment.

38 minutes ago, Helix Reloaded said:

Also, I can't seem to understand whether the items in the RIOT pass are earnable for free or not? What does buying the pass get you that playing for free doesn't?

Essentially there are 10 contact levels that all players can progress through each season.

All players will get the rewards for reaching each level. Sometimes those are APB$ and sometimes those are items. These are entirely free.

RIOT Pass players will also get RIOT tokens at certain contact levels that can be spent to get additional Premium items from the RIOT Shop.

Over time, once we have enough items in the shop, we'll start rotating older items out and adding them to ARMAS. We might possibly do the same with the seasonal free items.

We haven't locked in the pricing, but let's assume that RIOT Pass costs $5.99 (it will definitely be less than Premium is right now). Then players who have purchased that pass and been able to achieve all 10 levels will have tokens they can spend for a couple items in the RIOT Shop that might later be available in ARMAS for $9.99-$19.99 each. In other words, our hope is to make RIOT a less expensive way to get premium items.

We're also lowering the cost of Premium (pricing hasn't been locked in), but let's say the new price is $6.99 ($1 less than it is now). In this example, all players will benefit from less expensive Premium. And there will be a new 2 month Premium deal for $13.99 that includes the RIOT Pass for free. Those players will get less expensive Premium benefits and access to the RIOT shop for no extra cost.

EDIT: We didn't include any pricing examples in the blog, because I think it would have further confused people.

However I am using hypotheticals here to illustrate our overall goal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

BTW, didn't you say you were going to try to not start major discussions on a Friday, so as to not have any chance of leaking into your weekend?

Lol.

5 minutes ago, vfterlife said:

I hope that with the launch of riot you will “make noise” to attract NEW players, not just the old ones. Tell about APB: Battle Royale wherever. 

"HYPE" should not be limited to forum. I hope you have thought about this moment.

There has been a lot of planning and work done on the rollout.

We need to properly test and tweak RIOT with the community, which is why we are rolling it out now.

My hope is that we can line up the official launch with the engine upgrade, and then kick off all the marketing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MattScott said:

RIOT Pass

since this seems to be a cyclical season pass thing, will there be an automatic subscription for this or a way to purchase multiple season passes at once?

9 minutes ago, MattScott said:

All players will get the rewards for reaching each level. Sometimes those are APB$ and sometimes those are items. These are entirely free.

APB$ as in the regular game currency? That just sounds like useless filler unless it's a big amount of cash..

Have you considered adding G1C to the rewards?

And no, I think we've had enough ways of getting Joker tickets by now.

P.S: Thanks for taking the time to reply to us. This communication LO's been giving has been really reassuring for me and i assume a lot of other people.

Also thanks for that change to the Premium cooldown reduction. Lixil had replied about it on a thread I made saying she'd bring it up with the team but it had been a few months since then so I thought you guys had forgotten.

Keep up the great work Matt and other LO/G1 staff, you guys are really making a lot of people happy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Essentially there are 10 contact levels that all players can progress through each season.

RIOT Pass players will also get RIOT tokens at certain contact levels that can be spent to get additional Premium items from the RIOT Shop.

Over time, once we have enough items in the shop, we'll start rotating older items out and adding them to ARMAS. We might possibly do the same with the seasonal free items.

We haven't locked in the pricing, but let's assume that RIOT Pass costs $5.99 (it will definitely be less than Premium is right now). Then players who have purchased that pass and been able to achieve all 10 levels will have tokens they can spend for a couple items in the RIOT Shop that might later be available in ARMAS for $9.99-$19.99 each. In other words, our hope is to make RIOT a less expensive way to get premium items. 

We're also lowering the cost of Premium (pricing hasn't been locked in), but let's say the new price is $6.99 ($1 less than it is now). In this example, all players will benefit from less expensive Premium. And there will be a new 2 month Premium deal for $13.99 that includes the RIOT Pass for free. Those players will get less expensive Premium benefits and access to the RIOT shop for no extra cost.

god damn, that's cheap!... I thought you guys would make the riot season pass like 10-20$. (since it sounded like there would be content worth 20-50$ at least)

I'm positively surprised... still, I think something like this should've been more coupled with the main game... I'm afraid I (and many other players) may not enjoy this mode and therefore won't have much fun unlocking new content for APB...

I'd recommend looking at how battlefield 5 "seasons" (tides of war) levels up...

you have an overall 40 levels for ~8-10 weeks time, and every week comes with different challanges that reward you with extra XP (while normally playing the game also gives you some amount of XP).
you get 1 special item unlocked every week (special items like new guns, planes, tanks, special cosmetics), and overall 1 item per level (less special items, only toward the end levels 35+ you get something more special)

v7JyLhF.jpg
as you can see, you'll have multiple challanges and can choose your way of doing it. (or just do all for even more XP)
when firestorm (battlefield battleroyale) was released, you'd have to do quite a few challanges in the BR mode, but still had an alternative way with challanges in the main game, which is nice.

and in the end you'll get this new weapon, which will be made available to buy (for ingame cash in BF, but could be sold on armas in apb) after the season has ended.

and here's what the overall 40 levels look like:
XU1t4tc.jpg

you'll level this up by completing weekly challanges and / or just playing the game however you like. (even though it obviously takes more time without completing challanges)
within the 40 levels are some more challanges you unlock (assignments) to get even more chapter XP.

so for APB, you could make the weekly, more special items available through the season pass, and the overall 40 level rewards available for free. (which is kinda the case already I guess?)
I'd just like to have an alternative way of leveling up the redhill contacts in case I (or anyone) really dislike the new RIOT mode..

(this is just a suggestion, so obviously you'd have to change values and rewards fitting best for APB)

Edited by Snubnose
  • Like 1

From first quarter review blog:

We do have a collapsing map, but it closes off block by block based on player interaction

RIOT rundown:

The order that the blocks close is random.

Excuse?

I have a question, what is with players that still have verry much Premium time, is there a chance to get something other than Premium time as side benefit if you buy the RIOT Season pass?

I have around 3000 days of Premium and i think i dont need more atm. 😎

Idk, i think it would be cool if there is another pass to choose from for such a case...
What are you other guys thinking about that? I am curious about all answers...
Thx to ya all. 👍

@MattScott

Edited by SpeedyCat
corrected 9k prem to 3k lol ^^

15 minutes ago, introlapse said:

From first quarter review blog: We do have a collapsing map, but it closes off block by block based on player interaction

RIOT rundown: The order that the blocks close is random.

Excuse?

It's actually both. Sorry for the confusion.

Teams have the option of collecting PDAs and choosing blocks to close to get large amounts of cash.

But if they don't, the game will close down blocks at random.

8 minutes ago, SpeedyCat said:

I have a question, what is with players that still have verry much Premium time, is there a chance to get something other than Premium time as side benefit if you buy the RIOT Season pass?

I have around 9000 days of Premium and i think i dont need more atm. 😎

Idk, i think it would be cool if there is another pass to choose from for such a case...

The plan is to also sell he RIOT Pass on its own, and for players who have Premium, you'll get the discount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1